PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is 07 Maroney-Morris as good as 06 Dillon-Maroney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully no rookie wall for Maroney this year, Morris is probably a better player than corey is at this point, Morris is really underrated, and corey is living on laurels at this point.

Also If they Get Faulk more involved thats not a bad thing either.

Why do you think dillion will be back? I haven't heard anything about it, nor do i think we need him at this point.

And Good point earlier, Hopefully the new wr's really open up the run game.

gimme darius walker from ND in the third

corey was much much slower the last two yrs than ever before

I remember after that long 70 yard run one game, he was out for the rest of the half. Looks like he's low on endurance, too :rolleyes:

Darius Walker ran a terrible 40.

I think it was around 4.7 seconds.

good that means he should last till the third and who cares about a 40 time

Touchdowns aside, I think that the 2007 Dillon would had been a marginal upgrade from the 2007 Sammy Morris. Dillon was slowing down year after year and I would expect 2007 to continue that trend. Morris brings a veteran leadership to the position in a lesser playing role than Dillon without lacking what the Patriots want from him.

Maroney is the starter and should see a bulk of the carries. I think the offense is better with Maroney as a starter than it was with Dillon taking a large share of the carries because he seems to be more explosive and far more versitale. When Dillon was in the game, it seemed predictable that they were going to run the ball. Credit to the fact that, although it seemed predictable, he got the yards he needed to more often than not.

As long as receivers are catching the ball and the offensive line plays well, the offense will still get the yards it needs to get. The only thing is that defenses will have to respect the passing game, screen and the chance of having a back running up the gut. I just don't think Dillon was capable of the screen as much as Morris is, so that was one last thing the defense had to concern themselves with.

2006 Dillon/Maroney good. 2007 offense better overall.

The way things are going, don't think that Dillon can't come back mid season if the Patriots come knocking. He hasn't found what he was looking for in free agency, but he might want to rethink that if the Patriots are contending and they request his services. More likely, he will latch onto a team before sitting out an entire season or retiring. Pride is a funny thing though.

This combo will be more explosive on downs 1-2. Down 3 will be the same cos we use Kevin Faulk there. Short yardage prowess depends on how well Neal can step up. I don't see RB as a big problem for us.

:) Naah! But it is another thread to consider drafting a Day One running back.

Actually until the offseason is done.. My stance right now is Morris is here to replace P. Pass..

BTW is this another thread to push the drafting of Leonard?? :p

I think this is a great question and it is one I have wondered, particularly since I freely admit I know very little about Morris other than seeing him in a couple games.

At the least, Maroney is a back unlike any we've had before. We saw glimpses of his NFL ability last year. I suspect, as people here are wont to talk about, that BB, as a master of maximizing pros and disguising cons, will devise a system to benefit #39. Perhaps this is what led to Corey's escape.
Any half-way decent starting NFL back is good for 1000 yards these days. In hindsight, Maroney's talent belies his relatively "late" 1st round draft status. In a workhorse system, he is capable of 1500 yards. He won't be needed in that way in this system.

The recent WR acquisitions points towards a more pass-happy offense, perhaps with creative flea-flickers, etc. such as we were introduced to last year. Having Brady at QB, with a bevy of capable receivers (!) of disparate tendencies opens up every corner of the field for exploitation.

Maroney may well be the twitchiest, quickest, most explosive back since Barry Sanders, Reggie Bush be damned. Used properly, he could be like trying to defend against a ninja when you're trying to stop the others circling you. The NFL doesn't fight one-at-a-time style like in movies.

If Morris can be faster, quicker, and just as strong as Dillon (would have been in 2007), the running game will be just fine. Of course, Dillon was a wily veteran. But as many touchdowns as he had, can you honestly say that when he actually broke thru the first line, damn, why can't he run any faster than that? Go Dillon, go! go! go!!

My guess is Maroney will get 1000-1200 yards, Morris will get 300-400. Brady will pass for well into the 4000's.

Maroney may well be the twitchiest, quickest, most explosive back since Barry Sanders, Reggie Bush be damned. Used properly, he could be like trying to defend against a ninja when you're trying to stop the others circling you. The NFL doesn't fight one-at-a-time style like in movies.

:eat1:

^--- I want what he's having.

Yes, but not becuase of better talent at running back. Maroney-Moris will be running behind a zone blocking scheme with a more spread-out offense. Our new recievers and offensive scheme will help prevent 8 man fronts and also better utilize the talents of our recievers, offensive linemen, quarterback and running backs.

The offense this year will be less about power and more about quickness and speed. Bye Bye Corey!

This sounds like The Plan.
As to Corey,I wouldn't mind seeing him back in a situational role but not at the expense of taking a roster spot away from someone like...:singing: I'd be more comfy if we had another RB on board,especially one who's Dillon-esque. If they don't draft a RB,the possibility of bringing Corey back at some point becomes plausible.

No.

Maroney 07 should be a little better than Maroney 06.

But Morris is a lot worse than Dillon 06. Dillon was a touchdown machine, and wore down defenses. He was a great complement to Maroney. Morris is JAG.

I actually agree with URGENT's statement above.

Maroney was out for like three games last year, and then was somewhat ineffective after that (rookie wall perhaps).

Did the average fan even notice? Mabye not, because Dillon was doing just fine taking over the bulk of the carries.

Trust me, it would be huge news if Maroney has any sort of injury this year.

I actually agree with URGENT's statement above.

Maroney was out for like three games last year, and then was somewhat ineffective after that (rookie wall perhaps).

Did the average fan even notice? Mabye not, because Dillon was doing just fine taking over the bulk of the carries.

Trust me, it would be huge news if Maroney has any sort of injury this year.

Plus we should not and cannot undervalue Corey Dillon's nose for the end zone. His goalline and short yardage presence will not doubt be missed. You may see more goalline passes this year.

I agree..it is a concern..importance..No I do not think Morris-Maroney is at all as effective...although it may not need to be. As many have said, with a spread out D, it may not be the same. On teh other hand, I do think the Pats may bring in or find a big power back..draft/free agemcy or possible an Evans that could be that back. But really as it stands now, if the overall offense was the same as least year, Dillon would be missed greatly.

He also had a 40 1/2 inch vertical..... Walker ran a 4.5 forty at his pro day. Either way it is a overrated stat. What back is running 4.4 fortys in the third quarter of a game? A 40 1/2 inch vertical = explosive.

Last edited:
Here's a question for everybody:

If Miami was going into the season with Ronnie Brown and Sammy Morris as their one/two combination, would we laugh at them?

... oh wait, that was last year.

This is an irrelevant topic since Dillon will be back this season.
Pass that bong, brother man.

Mark me down as hopeful, but concerned about the running game if the backfield stays as it is now.

Growing pains, people. I think we have the pieces in place for an adequate to very good running game. Obviously, Maroney and offensive line play are the keys to an awful lot of this.

I agree about Dillon's goal-line/short yardage ability, but I do see that "part" of Dillon being adequately (if not perfectly) addressed in Evans. The problem is one of versatility, just as replacing Dan Graham with Kyle Brady leaves the blocking role intact, but removes the double threat. Unless we're talking strictly goal line, Evans does not give us a threat for a variety of play calls in short yardage, whereas Dillon did.

It's a probability discussion, really, and it hinges on Maroney's play. I'd put the probabilities as follows:

Increased productivity from the run: 25%
Similar productivity: 60%
Decreased productivity: 15%

This guess is based on the notion that each piece of the puzzle for the Pats is always constructed with a redundant backup; i.e., there is always another "way to win" when preparation in a given area does not carry the day. Much of the productivity from any unit on the Pats is predicated on the premise of flexibility. We have never gotten our rushing stats by absolutely dominating the opponent. The yards and TDs come from the combination of raw talent and playing 60 minutes of tough football, not a Tomlinsonian destruction of an opponent.

The 25% chance of improved production reflects the possibility of as yet unseen upside from Maroney - in other words, the "can he actually take this running game to another level?" question. The other percentages reflect the running game as essentially in the neighborhood of the talent we had last year. I don't believe we have suffered an incredible drop-off, barring injury, though a Maroney/Dillon configuration covers us by providing two backs worth of the "featured" role. Without that luxury, I think Morris is as suitable a backup as you can hope for.

To the guys who'd like to see Corey back, I sympathize, but do not think it's lilkely. As it stands now, it just won't be Corey's backfield. I don't begrudge him this, and don't begrudge him returning either, if that's what he wants. I just don't think we should be counting on the man, after he said he won't be playing here this year.

PFnV

In terms of production I can think of a few factors that should give us a definite edge this year.

The deep threat of the WR corps should stop the box being stacked, thus giving Maroney more room.

Maroney will have learnt alot from last year - he will have another years worth of conditioning and training at pro-level.

Our O-line has been consistently the best coached group of blue collar overachievers in recent years - now we have genuine talent (does that make them white collar?) the ceiling for the effectiveness of the run blocking should be that much higher.

On the subjct of the O-line, I am convinvd that their No.1 objective, in terms of preperation and training, is to protect Tom - now that they are all another year more experienced they can look at ways to open more lnes for the RB.

I am confident that the production of the Maroney/whoever running combo will be improved this year.

NM

Last edited:
I will admit to being a bit worried about LoMo's ability to be the feature back week in and week out. I hope I'm wrong. it's probably just a bit of that NE mentality to think the worst all the time. As for Morris? I'll have to trust that BB wouldn't pay a JAG that kind of dough and that he knows Sammy's wheels will have more impact that Dillon's would have.

What this thread really points out to me is what a brilliant move the Pats made grabbing Maroney last year. Just imagine where the Pats would be today without him - you think Maroney-Morris is questionable? Imagine being forced to overpay for Ahman Green or Jamal Lewis, or how about having signed Morris to be our lead back? Thank goodness BB saw this one coming. Picking another first day RB in the draft makes sense to me - especially with Faulk hitting 31yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back