PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is 07 Maroney-Morris as good as 06 Dillon-Maroney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

Is the answer clear to you guys? I think Faulk and Evans are set in their roles.

In any case, I don't see the change as an improvement for the pats.

Is the answer clear to you guys? I think Faulk and Evans are set in their roles.

In any case, I don't see the change as an improvement for the pats.

i think it can be
time will def tell though
while morris isnt as proven as corey
corey was much much slower the last two yrs than ever before
so i think morris will provide more burst
the good thing about having corey was that he really wore down the defense with his physical play

another fact that this yr could be better is that maroney should only be better
so even if morris isnt as productive as corey was last yr the unit as a whole could still be better

Maroney-Morris will be even better. First, Maroney is set to take on the feature back role after a year in the system. Second, as Maroney continues to get more carries, he has a better chance to take one to the house. Maroney is really explosive. Second, Morris is faster than Dillon, yet not as powerful. Morris will be a nice compliment to Maroney. Lastly, I really think Maroney is going to explode in his second year like Frank Gore did with the 49ers.

I think Maroney-Morris has the potential to be a lot better, due mostly to Maroney's expected improvement in his second year. I know I'm excited.

Hopefully it will be better... but I guess we will find out this next season.

Going to take the stance that the Running game will be as good or better. And my reasoning comes from the theory that it will be better NOT because of the talent in the backfield but what we have at WR.. Safties won't be able to cheat up. They'll have to watch for the play action and deep passes. This should free up the running game..

Second idea is that Maroney will have a full offseason work out and will be that much better..

No.

Maroney 07 should be a little better than Maroney 06.

But Morris is a lot worse than Dillon 06. Dillon was a touchdown machine, and wore down defenses. He was a great complement to Maroney. Morris is JAG.

No.

But Morris is a lot worse than Dillon 06. Dillon was a touchdown machine, and wore down defenses. He was a great complement to Maroney. Morris is JAG.

A LITTLE better? That's quite the understatement.

Actually until the offseason is done.. My stance right now is Morris is here to replace P. Pass..

BTW is this another thread to push the drafting of Leonard?? :p

Last edited:
No.

That's my opinion as well. 06 Dillon sure wasn't 97-02 Dillon; he sure wasn't 04 Dillon; but he was still an above average NFL back averaging 4.1 ypc and scoring 13 TDs. He was almost always good for positive yardage.

However, 07 Dillon didn't figure to be as good as 06 Dillon, and was due to cost something like 4.4M against the cap, which 97-02 and 04 Dillon were certainly worth but 07 Dillon certainly was not.

So the real question is not whether 07 Maroney and 07 Morris are better or worse than 06 Maroney and 06 Dillon but whether 07 Maroney and 07 Morris are better than 07 Maroney and 07 Dillon would have been. It's hard to say - my guess is that 07 Dillon is still a little better than 07 Morris - but it's close and as far as value for the dollar 07 Morris is far better.

That's my opinion as well. 06 Dillon sure wasn't 97-02 Dillon; he sure wasn't 04 Dillon; but he was still an above average NFL back averaging 4.1 ypc and scoring 13 TDs. He was almost always good for positive yardage.

However, 07 Dillon didn't figure to be as good as 06 Dillon, and was due to cost something like 4.4M against the cap, which 97-02 and 04 Dillon were certainly worth but 07 Dillon certainly was not.

So the real question is not whether 07 Maroney and 07 Morris are better or worse than 06 Maroney and 06 Dillon but whether 07 Maroney and 07 Morris are better than 07 Maroney and 07 Dillon would have been. It's hard to say - my guess is that 07 Dillon is still a little better than 07 Morris - but it's close and as far as value for the dollar 07 Morris is far better.

Even if 07 Dillon would have been better than 07 Morris, it's likely that 07 Maroney will be FAR better than 06 Maroney.

Yardage wise: Yes, I think they can.
TD wise: No

Just one mans opinion

This is an irrelevant topic since Dillon will be back this season.

we 're all not sure what to expect out of sammy morris.
he should be quicker with more burst, as corey was slowing down.

I think maroney stayin healthy is a key question.
if he can handle the full time load and not get all banged up and miss time, then I think he'll easily do more than the duo did last year.

and I think morris is more than capable of filling in here and there.

I think the only time we MAY miss him a little is in goal line situations, but I don't see it as a concern.

lastly, I wouldn't rule out BB draftinf another runner as well, although I think that is totally up in the air.

bottom line, I'm not worried. When corey was in last year, it's not like he was a force. he was visibly slowed and often seemed lethargic, which is why he's gone IMO.

Even if 07 Dillon would have been better than 07 Morris, it's likely that 07 Maroney will be FAR better than 06 Maroney.
Hopefully true, but we were going to have 07 Maroney either way. So the real question the team had to evaluate was whether to replace 07 Dillon and his cap hit with someone else, who turned out to be 07 Morris, and his cap hit.

Maybe I'm underestimating Dillon but he's been a JAG for two years now IMO. The 2004 Dillon was a beast. Since then . . . blah.

Doesn't have to be to be as effective, since the new receivers will mean more space.

Yes, but not becuase of better talent at running back. Maroney-Moris will be running behind a zone blocking scheme with a more spread-out offense. Our new recievers and offensive scheme will help prevent 8 man fronts and also better utilize the talents of our recievers, offensive linemen, quarterback and running backs.

The offense this year will be less about power and more about quickness and speed. Bye Bye Corey!

No.

morris is def not a jag
most the time this guy has had a spot start he's done very well

last yr when ronnie brown had a broken hand:

nov 23 @det: 12 carries, 91 yards, 7.6 avg!, 1 fumble lost
dec 3 vs jax(great run d): 12 carries, 47 yds, 3.9 avg, 3 catches, 20 yds
dec 10 vs Pats: 25 carries, 123 yds!, 4.9 avg, 1 td, 2 catches, 39 yds
dec 17 @buf: 20 carries, 71 yds, 3.6 avg, 5 catches, 12 yds

that averaged over a 16 game season would be 1328 yds, 4.81 avg, 4 tds, 40 catches, 284 yds

2004 games with 10 or more carries:

oct 17 @buff: 18 carries, 91 yds, 5.1 avg, 2 catches, 28 yds
oct 24 vs stl: 28 car, 83 yds, 3.0 avg, 1 td, 3 catches, 8 yds
nov 1 @ nyj: 11 car, 48 yds, 4.4 avg, 3 catches, 12 yds
nov 7 vs ari: 16 car, 56 yds, 3.5 avg, 1 td, 3 catches, 6 yds
dec 26 vs cle: 17 car, 69 yds, 3 catches, 5 yds
jan 2 @ bal: 12 car, 89 yds, 7.4avg!!!, 1 td, 1 catch, 13 yds

(dec 20 vs Pats in that one point loss: 9 carries, 27 yds, 2 tds!, 6 catches!!!, 46 yds!)
the beginning of that season saw leonard henry be the starter, while the middle was a split b/w morris and travis minor
those 2004 numbers averaged over a 16 game season:
17 carries per game, 1162 yds, 4.27 avg, 8 tds, 40 catches (again), 192 yds (again not many yds on those catches)

im not gonna go over his rookie yr, cuz i wanna go eat some dinner and get ready to go "celebrate" st pattys day, plus he was only a rook

so while im not saying hes gonna have 1200 yds, i do think he can be as productive (possibly more) than corey last yr

If Dillon's back, we welcome him back. If not, the future is here now, so now is when we deal with it.

Maroney was drafted with the intent of making him the featured back one day. I was all about him splitting carries and keeping Corey viable a year or two. Well, it looks like "or two" is pretty much out the window.

For all the guys downplaying Dillon for YPC, remember the nose for the goal line in 06. And over 4 makes your YPC acceptable. Plus, if you add the TDs, that means you have a good running threat.

That's it, good. Not great or fantastic or anything else. Just good.

I like "good." Know why? Because we avoid handcuffing ourselves by making every unit solid, but few units spectacular, and none at the expense of the team as a whole.

And then we fuse it into - in good years - the best team in the NFL.

And then we can have more threads about how we "won it all," but "weren't the best team."

Okay, as to Maroney/Morris' ability to help the team win...

I would say there is upside to Maroney we did not get to see, but which also, by definition, is unproven.

There is risk here. The risk is that Maroney is "no Corey Dillon" in terms of production. There is also opportunity for better performance than we have seen of Dillon. In other words, the risk is that he is less valuable to the team going forward, than Dillon was in the past.

There is no certainty of that, however. And there is certainty that "Corey from 97-02" no longer exists, and that "Corey of 04" is also in the past. There is even more certainty that Corey of, say, 2010 will be watching the game on TV with the rest of us. And there is a great likelihood that Corey 2007 will be a role player. My take was he didn't want to go out like that. Maybe I'm wrong.

It's time, gentlemen. The purchase has been made, the die has been cast. If you want to label Maroney a bust, you have to wait until he shows himself to be a bust. He performed well as a rookie, as any idiot can see. Because he wasn't ROTY is no reason to jones for Corey now.

And Archives, you know as well as I do you just want a sleeper pick in the fantasy draft. Well guys, Maroney's valued out there... so you probably aren't alone in picking him as your sleeper, if you're a Maroney fan.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye