PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ironic: It wasnt Branch, Givens, or Vinatieri we missed the most

Status
Not open for further replies.

3 to be 4

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
In the end, the guy who's loss left the biggest hole was Willie McGinest.
Having him in there instead of Alexander or Banta-Cain would have been nice.

Really? McGinest left the biggest hole? Sorry, gotta disagree there. McGinest wouldn't have made a difference in the game against the Colts.

It may have been Seau :eek:

Really? McGinest left the biggest hole? Sorry, gotta disagree there. McGinest wouldn't have made a difference in the game against the Colts.

at least he would have held his position better than Banta-Cain and Vrabel wouldve been better at ILB than Alexander.
Not saying a HUGE difference but Ghost replaced Adam just fine and overall Caldwell and Gaffney came through, even with the 2 Reche drops that didnt cost any points.
it was the defense that was our downfall.

No, chances are McGinest would be old and hurtin'.

(Wait...he already is...)

Last edited:
Actually, it was Charlie Weis.

Only if he didn't turn down the offer to sit in the box at the game...

at least he would have held his position better than Banta-Cain and Vrabel wouldve been better at ILB than Alexander.
Not saying a HUGE difference but Ghost replaced Adam just fine and overall Caldwell and Gaffney came through, even with the 2 Reche drops that didnt cost any points.
it was the defense that was our downfall.

So, let me get this straight, you have the ability to see alternate time streams so you can say, with certainty, that McGinest would have held his position better than TBC.

Sorry, but reality doesn't jive with you and here's why.

Alexander, the quicker, better coverage LB, started the Colts game and was lining up across from the Colts TEs. Please re-read that sentence. OK. So, if Alexander started the game, that would mean that the Pats felt that Alexander was a better coverage LB than Vrabel or TBC. (following so far?) Alexander was the one getting BURNED by the TEs (also would mean that Vrabel and TBC would be getting burned as well). As was Bruschi, for that matter. So, if the Pats felt that Alexander was the better coverage TE, what would having McGinest on the field and moving Vrabel to ILB as the Coverage LB really do? Umm.... Nothing. It would actually be a down grade because Vrabel isn't as good a coverage LB as Alexander.

The Pats probably should have gone to a 3-3-5 system and brough in an extra CB/S (Chad Scott, anyone?) to cover the TE. That way you have someone on their atheletic TE (Clark) who can keep up with the player and probably defense the pass better.

The person that the Patriots missed the MOST was Rodney Harrison. At least with Harrison on the field, the Pats could have gone to a 3-3-5 Nickel formation and not lose much against the run. They could have also stayed with their base package and had Harrison cover the TE coming out of the backfield.

Actually, it was Charlie Weis.

with out a doubt, I feel Charlie Weis is the biggest loss the Pats have yet to overcome.. The game against the Colts lack inginuity, and creativity.. Not saying Josh Mcdaniels is a failure, but he is learning on the job for the last 2 yrs..

Well our scoring offense was as good this year as in any of the Weis years other than 2003. It's nice to romanticize the big guy but it doesn't really meet with the facts.

So, let me get this straight, you have the ability to see alternate time streams so you can say, with certainty, that McGinest would have held his position better than TBC.

Sorry, but reality doesn't jive with you and here's why.

Alexander, the quicker, better coverage LB, started the Colts game and was lining up across from the Colts TEs. Please re-read that sentence. OK. So, if Alexander started the game, that would mean that the Pats felt that Alexander was a better coverage LB than Vrabel or TBC. (following so far?) Alexander was the one getting BURNED by the TEs (also would mean that Vrabel and TBC would be getting burned as well). As was Bruschi, for that matter. So, if the Pats felt that Alexander was the better coverage TE, what would having McGinest on the field and moving Vrabel to ILB as the Coverage LB really do? Umm.... Nothing. It would actually be a down grade because Vrabel isn't as good a coverage LB as Alexander.

The Pats probably should have gone to a 3-3-5 system and brough in an extra CB/S (Chad Scott, anyone?) to cover the TE. That way you have someone on their atheletic TE (Clark) who can keep up with the player and probably defense the pass better.

the problem with going to a 3-3-5 was that our dbacks were prob more tired than anyone

come on guys!!!
you all know my boy willie wouldve stuffed addai on third down at the end of the game

I'm sure that Belichicik wanted to do so. But Harrison was out. Geno, Tebuckey, Mitchell, Gay were also on IR. Then Hawkins went down. These are the guys that were missing. The barrel was empty. So they couldn't do that. That's what they would have preferred. They were forced to try the Alexander experiment.

I'm guessing this guy's post meant more that this defense lacked a true big-play guy that we have become accustomed to stepping up. I admit that Willie's name surfaced in my mind on the final drive. Is/was he the answer? No, prolly not. Yet, who is?

The question posed was who are we missing? The answer is the guy who saves the day. We have no one who did so. The point is that we are lacking someone on defense that, not only do we believe in, but has deserved our belief.

I'm guessing this guy's post meant more that this defense lacked a true big-play guy that we have become accustomed to stepping up. I admit that Willie's name surfaced in my mind on the final drive. Is/was he the answer? No, prolly not. Yet, who is?

The question posed was who are we missing? The answer is the guy who saves the day. We have no one who did so. The point is that we are lacking someone on defense that, not only do we believe in, but has deserved our belief.

DaBruinz had it.

Rodney f'in Harrison.

(And Eugene Wilson).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes