Welcome to PatsFans.com

Iraq's Shocking Human Toll: About 1 Million Killed

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I forget who was the one on this board mocking me for the "Millions" of dead Iraqis....

The numbers seem to be close to that, if not more.......damnnnnn....thats shocking and sad that we did this to a nation of people who never attacked us. Sad that our administration cooked evidence known to be false to frighten us into killing over a MILLION Iraqis...and orphaning 5 million...

Iraq's Shocking Human Toll: About 1 Million Killed, 4.5 Million Displaced, 1-2 Million Widows, 5 Million Orphans.....

Iraq's Shocking Human Toll: About 1 Million Killed, 4.5 Million Displaced, 1-2 Million Widows, 5 Million Orphans | War on Iraq | AlterNet
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +296 / 10 / -26

I have seen this in other news outlets, difficult to quantify.. but somehow the actions of the US will always be justified as we brought democracy to this country.. is it worth it???.. time will tell.. personally a whole lot of good will have to happen for a very long time, before this can be justified.. it should have never happened.
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 6 / -2

Not another one of these.
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

well, 1 bright-eyed, blonde-haired strapping american = 1000 middle eastern "tribes people" anyway... so, clearly, the math is flawed... what's wrong with "1,000" foreign dead?
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

YES another one of these....

You can reference these #s when asking yourself "why do they hate us so much?"

its not our "Freedom"
  6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Wait...

How can there be 1 million dead Iraqis and yet 1-2 million widows? Ain't many Mormons in Iraq I expect.
  7. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Forcing democracy upon an Iraq that wants us to leave is NOT worth 1M dead civilians, especially when we toppled a democracy in Iran just a few decades prior.
  8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +163 / 7 / -13

! million dead (presumably this includes women and children) Yet 2 million widown.

Sounds like these # are real accurate. What a sick joke. Lefties hate it when America is successful.
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

even if the total is 10% of that figure...its still disgusting

what a sick joke it is for someone to balk at murdered human beings, just brush 'em off?

again....when you start to muse and riff as to why these people want to kill you and me, this should be issue #1.

and

claiming that Iraq is a 'success', and either killing those people or dispacing and orphaning others is somehow a victory is really sick, man. AND if it is a 'success' can we please leave?
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  10. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Death pretty much sucks for everyone..... lets get that right out there.

First off, for this to stick, we must ignore the fact that most of those killed were killed by other muslims wallowing in tribal and religious bitterness that has been around for hundreds of years. AQ killed tons as well, mostly in an effort to fan these sectarian passions. These groups specifically TARGETED civilians. We NEVER did, so to blame us for the fact that combatants on the opposite side waged and partook in completely inappropriate hostile actions against the civilian population is a little over the top. We may have initiated hostilities, but we in way can be directly responsibly for the actions of ALL combatants over there.

If you want to blame us for the likely much smaller %, where specific deaths were directly attributably to US military action, then fine. I buy that. To put that ENTIRE FIGURE on us, labels you a complete hater, and not capable of rational dialogue on the subject. We all know that to be the case.

Putting all of that to the side for a second. Since you are probably haven't yet figured this out on your own. The story is an OP-ED and the author is an UNABASHED AMERICA HATER. All the figures are mere SPECULATING based and several completely speculative accounting methods. It's HARDLY the definitive total. He's guessing.

The author makes his living jerking off for the wacked-out far left crowd. This article is just another attempt to feed them his man-seed. The fact that you even used it as the centerpiece tell us a whole bunch about you ;)

Bottom's up :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  11. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +93 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Alternet, John Tirman. Good God!:rolleyes:

I wonder if this a-hole has actually been to Iraq?
  12. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

George Bush caused the death of 1,000,000 innocent Iraq not to bring Democracy to Iraq.

He killed them because Saddam Hussein was suppossed to have WMDs.

The bottom line is 1,000,000 people died because of George Bush's lies and deceptions.

13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +296 / 10 / -26

How do you measure success?? Is it because there is now "democracy" in this country?? Have a very difficult time conceptualizing how the ends can justify the means.
  14. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 4 / -5

#75 Jersey

Muslim men can have up to 4 wives - - as long as they "treat them equally to each other".

That being said, I'm not sold on the efficacy of the OP's linked source.

And to your last point - I never knew Rush Limbaugh was a Lefty! :D
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  15. shmessy

Ratings:
    +813 / 4 / -5

#75 Jersey

The Gaza elections of 2006 were a democratic success also, and we didn't spend $1 trillion and 4,000+ American lives on it.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  16. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I understand that the absolute number is not important for your argument, that whatever it is is considered too many dead, but I found this interesting. The studies all these numbers are based on are under serious scrutiny because the researchers refuse to release their methodologies, which is critical to determining if they have any basis in reality:

ABC News: Nondisclosure Cited in Iraq Casualties Study

"In a highly unusual rebuke, the American Association for Public Opinion Research today said the author of a widely debated survey on "excess deaths" in Iraq had violated its code of professional ethics by refusing to disclose details of his work. The author's institution later disclosed to ABC News that it, too, is investigating the study."
  17. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +461 / 7 / -9

The Pentagon's IG just released their first estimate of Iraqi dead from invasion to present. Their number is 95,000.

I know that's like the old joke about the park police estimate for crowds at the Mall -- "take their number and double it" -- but the discrepancy of a full order of magnitude seems a bit much.

PFnV
  18. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

A brutal dictator is dead. Thousands of terrorists are dead, all of whom had the potential to cause us harm. Al Qaeda suffered defeat on a front they deemed to be vital. No further attacks have happened on US soil. Victory is now on the cusp of being achieved. That is how I measure success.
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +296 / 10 / -26

Al Qaeda was not in Iraq prior to our invasion, so not sure how they can be defeated there. There are brutal dictators all over the world, should we take them out 1 by 1??.. still cannot accept that 95K civilians are dead in this conflict.. can never understand the application of situational ethics.. this whole thing was based on lies to the American people and the world.
  20. shmessy

Ratings:
    +813 / 4 / -5

#75 Jersey

Having had some experience working that side of the world in the 80's and 90's, I must ask you exactly WHAT does "victory" mean? Do you expect a long-term western civilization-loving, internally tolerant to Kurds-Shia-Sunnis Iraq that will not be a breeding ground for terrorists in the future once we pull out and decide to do nation-buiilding back in the USA?

Good luck with your delusion.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2009