Welcome to PatsFans.com

Iraq's oil-fueled surplus could hit $80 billion, report says

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by MrBigglesWorth, Aug 5, 2008.

1. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

How angry does this get you? Someone has a surplus.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/05/iraq.oil/index.html

2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I think Mr Levin is correct from a taxpayer's POV. but in some ways, it serves us right for waging a war based upon false pretenses and conspiracies. But I'd be willing to wager George Bush and Dick Cheney have many friends who are extremely happy we started this thing:rolleyes:

3. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I'm surprised you are so callm about this considering our national debt credit card was charged up and Iraq is getting a free ride on American taxpayer money.

Now let's see if the candidates latch onto this or if they're too afraid to address the Iraq issue.

Let's hope they aren't waffles.

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +911 / 7 / -3

We tore a country apart, and I'd think that we should be responsible to fix some of it. Africa is getting $48 million of taxpayer money, and we didn't break anything over there. Egypt gets a couple billion too I think, as do the Whacky Paki's, who won't let us bomb sh!t. :mad:

Seriously though, I think the fact that we invaded, and destroyed parts of that country obligate us to rebuild somewhat. Now that Iraq is on it's feet, or getting there, we should cease doing so, and leave it up to them.

5. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

???? we liberated the country brother. this wasn't just a destroy mission. we brought freedom and ended saddam's reign of genocide.

africa is millions.... we're talking billions here.

you're starting to talk like the gov't throwing cash around like it's nothing.

the question is how much should we be responsible to rebuild? it's not like this country is lacking for a natural reosurce to exploit.

6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Remember, the Iraqi people weren't begging us to come over and rid Saddam...we did that of our own accord on the pretext that WMD were being stockpiled. You only "owe" a country if they did something your asked for. We just did what we wanted to in invading Iraq.

If I was an Iraqi citizen, I don't think I'd be feeling to grateful to America at this point. but if peace reigns and their new government is successful in uniting their people, then maybe they'll show some gratitude. If you listened to and read the news, they're actually pretty psyched for us to leave their country.

We can't invade a country and then say "ok, now you guys owe us big-time"...it doesn't work that way. also keep in mind that it's been hell over there since we took out Sadaam. It has not been a great place to live.

7. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

how you figure it doesn't work that way??????? that's how all empires work. you invade a country and you essentially own it. and if you are claiming the US doesn't do that .. gimme a break. it might not be tangible goods, but it might be "we get trade rights" or "we get to have a military base in the country".

isn't it contradictory to say we can invade you even though you say we can't, but then we set rules after the invasion what can be done or not??

to the victors go the spoils. if american money is funding this porject then the american people should expect compensation.

in terms of asking for help. i'm sure the kurds wanted to be liberated. it was post invasion that things got messed up. you need to look at it as invasion and occupation as two separate entities.

this goes back to whether we should be over there right now. unfortunately nuclear weapons were invented and it's not like you can stay to yourself like you could a century ago. we have this dilemma with iran.

sure i'd love for us to be nowhere in the middle east, but the answer is very complicated.

8. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

The United States destroyed its entire infrastructure and now people are whining about having to pay to rebuild it???

You should realize that if you ask the Iraqis to fund their own reconstruction they're also going to want to kick the US military and our bases out.

9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Empire? ...."you own it"?? No biggles, not in this day & age it doesn't work that way. If it did, the US, Russia and China would have gone around conquering countries and said "you are now part of our country".

In the new world order, there is no conquering countries and you own it. Besides, we didn't invade Iraq to conquer them as much as we did to "free their people from Hussein's tyranny". If the US wants any type of relations with the Arab nations, it must leave Iraq as a sovereign nation and do so with respect and dignity. Certainly not in a "As soon as you pay us, we'll leave" manner.

We are supposed to be "the defender of freedom" Biggles. A nation that claims such a title does not state "to the victor goes the spoils". We would lose respect...and I would personally lose respect for that which we claim to stand for.

Bottom line, war, as in life aint all about the money.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's a very 19th century point of view. Care to join us in the 21st century?

11. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Things haven't changed. people just dress things up to make it look different.

for instance does colonialism still exist? if it didn't we would not have hundred of military bases.

12. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

people forget that we used so called precision ordinants meant not to destroy the infrastructure. It was their own people that looted and destroyed the infrastructure taking apart pieces of power plants, etc. watch No End in Sight

• Like Like x 1
  13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

The infrastructure had rotted under the Baathist. As to the surplus, this is something that perhaps hadn't been anticipated. It would certainly be a reason to lower the aid being given to Iraq by some amount, but not dollar for dollar.

Funny that Levin would be outraged that the Iraqi's were getting back on their feet (another sign the war is being won, rather than happy that they will be totally back on their feet and self sufficent sooner rather than later as the left had maintained.

14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You're justifying our overseas bases by the fact that they exist? I think that's called "begging the question".

15. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I don't think we should have bases overseas. You stretch the tentacles of the country so far and the core starts to rot.

It just amazes me that people complain about out of control spending but when a country we've invested a ton of money in has a surplus there are a bunch of sympathizers.

Half of that money should go right to our national debt.

16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +911 / 7 / -3

It was a typo with respect to Africa. Should have been a B, not an M.

We did liberate a country, I understand that. We also invaded on our own accord. I don't think you do that, and leave. With what we're trying to accomplish in the ME, you don't take a dump on that country, and not give a courtesy flush. It looks as if they're establishing some function & order, along with some cash. It's now time to pass the rebuilding tab to them.

The reason you rebuild is cuz we destroyed stuff, are trying to build good will, and are also quietly trying to shape the way the country functions, to something more attractive moving forward. If we're rebuilding schools, government building, police forces, water treatment plants, electrical generation, etc. We get to have a say in how it's done.

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

The point is, we as Americans HOPE things have changed...they SHOULD have changed and they BETTER have changed. American's don't want us conquering countries and pillaging their assets. So the only way around that is to help rebuild it and then leave their land and their people as nation with the respect & dignity we all deserve.

You don't have to agree, but thats the way it is.

18. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Very shocked since you were complaining about run away spending

19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

They're 2 separate issues in my opinion. Iraq doesn't "owe" us because the United States is spending too much. That makes no sense. We're the ones who decided to spend the $$ in Iraq...they had no choice. I'm surprised we don't agree on the logic.

20. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

So why did we go to Iraq?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008