Welcome to PatsFans.com

Iraqis: Deal close on plan for US troops to leave

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Aug 7, 2008.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I know its pre sea game day but I thought this was pretty interesting if true. Troops out of Iraqie cities within a year.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080807/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_us_bases

BAGHDAD - Iraq and the U.S. are near an agreement on all American combat troops leaving Iraq by October 2010, with the last soldiers out three years after that, two Iraqi officials told The Associated Press on Thursday. U.S. officials, however, insisted no dates had been agreed.

ADVERTISEMENT

The proposed agreement calls for Americans to hand over parts of Baghdad's Green Zone — where the U.S. Embassy is located — to the Iraqis by the end of 2008. It would also remove U.S. forces from Iraqi cities by June 30, 2009, according to the two senior officials, both close to Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and familiar with the negotiations.

The officials, who spoke separately on condition of anonymity because the talks are ongoing, said all U.S. combat troops would leave Iraq by October 2010, with the remaining support personnel gone "around 2013." The schedule could be amended if both sides agree — a face-saving escape clause that would extend the presence of U.S. forces if security conditions warrant it......con.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

Win the war pull out the troops sounds good Congrats to Paetraus and the troops.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

If this was not an election year, and this was not an issue none of this would happen.. this is what is great about US politics.
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

It's about Iraqi politics too which is why it was so funny when everyone said "look, the Iraqi President agrees with Obama".
  5. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I've seen a number of of surprizes running up to the elections but this has been in the works for a while. Although the Bush adm. could have been working quietly behind the scenes to pressure Maliki into doing this and making it look like an Iraqi idea. But at the same time it undercuts McCain. I wonder if hes still in Sturgess. :rolleyes:
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

......................... :yeahthat: ..............................
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

we won?

oh sweet!

Bring our peeps home already!
  8. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Still not sure what we won though, or even who we were fighting...
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

It's really an amazing accomplishment when you consider where we were a little over a year ago. Just think of what the pundits were saying when GW announced the surge strategy. Even more, think about the on the ground situation at the time. If you told someone two years ago that violence would drop 80%, and US casualties would reach a low of 5 in July 2008, they'd laugh in your face. A great deal of credit has to go to Petreaus, and the brave men and women in uniform. Obviously all the gains are still fragile, so the accomplishments to date have to be taken in stride.
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

I am still incredibly skeptical of the outcome as well as our future in this Country where we have spent billions on an infrastructure for our bases and consulate. I still do not see a positive outcome, but have been wrong before.
  11. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

This is great, great news. Hopefully they get a deal done, and our troops are hanging out in their bases on call while all Iraqi units do the patrols.

Of secondary importance it also basically takes Iraq off the table for November, doesn't it? Points for McCain, who advocated the policy that led to this success, and bad times for Obama, who said again and again that it was a bad idea and it wouldn't work. It also helps McCain in that he can point out how he was different from Bush on this, help defend against claims of a 3rd Bush term.
  12. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

But after it worked he said it was a good idea and that he supported it.
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I still cringe when I think that it will be either Obama, or McCain as CIC. :(