Welcome to PatsFans.com

Iraq Wins Asian Football Championship

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Bad Geo Bush. Now see what he's gone and allowed to happen.

And how many times did Iraq win under Saddam's rule??

Gee, if this keeps up, the Dems will be doing some fancy footwork to pull those 180s they'll be needing.

Iraqis greet Asian Cup triumph with joyful gunfire
    Jul 29 03:35 PM US/Eastern

Iraq erupted in joy and celebratory gunfire on Sunday when the country's national football squad won the Asian Cup and united its bitterly divided communities in a rare moment of celebration.

Thousands of Iraqis, including members of the security forces, defied a strict government ceasefire order to welcome the team's 1-0 victory over local rivals Saudi Arabia with an intense barrage of gunfire.

Soldiers, police and civilian gunmen loosed off long volleys of automatic fire skywards and into the waters of the Tigris within seconds of the final whistle in Jakarta, beamed live to cafes and homes across the country.

The Iraqi victory against the three-time Asian Cup champions was a precious moment of shared national joy in a country beset by civil strife.

[highlight] "Now it is our right to enjoy this victory that our heroic team has brought to us. They have brought us joy that we never experienced in the past, when we suffered greatly,"[highlight] said Haidar Mustafa, a Baghdad student.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070729193532.3lhy0gi0&show_article=1

//
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

That's pretty lame, Fog. I think most of us are happy that the Iraqi team won -- god knows, that poor country needs some good news, and people in this forum know there's nothing like a championship.

As far as how they did under Saddam, they never won this championship, but it appears their talent has absolutely nothing to do with type of government they have:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_national_football_team

Nice try politicizing sports, though.
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

"Lame", you say?? Then how come I have to be the one to break this on this list, almost 24 hours after it happened??? Nobody on this list knew about it before I posted it??

The "politicization" of this event is by those who have tried to look the other way and ignore it.

But, nice try.

Nice link on what it was like under Saddam's regime. Makes Bush look even better than ever. Thank you.

//
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I knew about it...my bookie called and told me. I won $300 ! I've been watching the Iraqi Football Club (FC Iraq) for years.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  5. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

What!? And you didn't start a thread earlier to express your joy??

//

//
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 1 / -9

Wait till they start playing Hockey :singing: :singing:
  7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I don't know why you're the one, and not Harry Boy, patsfan13, or any of the other righties or any of the liberals. I suppose no one but you thought it was particularly political.

Oh, I see, not posting something is political and posting something is not political. :bricks:

No one liked Saddam, but as bad as he was, the people are worse off now.
  8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:D

Now, THAT would be something!!

//
  9. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Good God, people, this is what Fogbuster considers progress in Iraq. Well gee, if George Bush had just told us this war was about soccer, I'd have supported it from the start. Now where are those WMD's?
  10. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Given that Iraq is mentioned in probably 20% or more of the posts on this forum, and has been the central topic of conversation here since I've been involved, it seems eerily strange NOT to see any expression of joy in the victory of Iraq, in spite of its deep internal suffering.

Of course not covering something like this is political. Don't play naive. (You know those bricks aren't real. :D)

Not mentioning Iraq's victory in the Asian games is like not mentioning who won the race to land a human on the moon or who found the cure for "global warming". In media parlance, it's called "spiking a story", not publishing something because it discredits one's preconceived mind-set. The monopolistic cultures always use this tactic.

Aha!! So that's why you don't want to mention it: you want to believe that the people are "worse" off now. That's your preconceived notion you bring to the table.

If your premise were true, how could they suddenly win?? With all the "worse off-ness" they are supposedly under today, one would expect them to fare very poorly. Yet, the opposite has happened.

Again, nice try at spin, but for the people of the world, anybody who's paying attention, your theory doesn't have the traction you may believe it does.

//
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

No. I don't want the IRS to find out...oh, Damn!~:mad:
  12. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

By the way, Fogbuster fails to mention that 6 people were killed during the postgame celebration. I guess that's still good news by post-war Iraqi standards.
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Must have been the Athiest Liberal Democrats.
  14. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I read it was four. Oh, you're giving the latest, now that the terrorists have decided they want to use yet another joyful moment to wreak their carnage.

Anyway, the reason there are a few more deaths in Iraq is because there are a "few" more guns in Iraq than on the streets of Boston or New York or Chicago. Remember the girl who got accidentally shot and killed after the Sox won?? And every time there's an NBA or other championship won in our other big cities, there are riots out the kazoo and people are killed.

//
  15. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

Your comparing the violence in Iraq to the violence after a championship game in the United States?

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO0707/S00368.htm
    Yea, kind of like horseshoes.
  16. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

They were killed by bullits falling down from the celebrartory gun shots. Anyway there is some national pride going on over there right now. Shia, Suni and Kurds were all represented on that team. It's not a whole lot to build on and a bombed mosque this afternoon could dampen things. I have to think though that them winning was a positive step towards bringing that country together.
  17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +303 / 1 / -9

Back in the good old days when an Iraqi athelete "lost" Saddams sons used to cut off their feet :singing: :singing:
  18. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Success is easy if you set the bar real low.
  19. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

No no, they were killed by a car bomb. From what I've read, a bullet doesn't gain enough speed from a free-fall to kill somebody (it reaches its terminal velocity first).
  20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +303 / 1 / -9

The last time they shot their guns in the air was on 9/11