Welcome to PatsFans.com

Iraq Prime Minister Nouri Maliki visiting Iran

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +481 / 20 / -17

Iran owes us a big thank you for not only taking out their arch enemy Saddam, but installing a government that is religiously aligned with Iran. Maybe we will see a greater Iran someday, a powerful anti-American theocracy that owes its strength to the Republican Party. If so, Ahmadinejad should build a monument honoring Bush and the Republican Party.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-fg-iraq8-2008jun08,0,3973742.story

BAGHDAD -- Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki traveled Saturday to Iran on a mission to improve relations between the countries at a time when U.S. officials have accused Tehran of arming Shiite Muslim militia groups fighting the Americans and Iraqi security forces.

Maliki, who was expected to meet with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad today, is on his third visit to Iran since taking office in May 2006. His trip comes after fighting this spring in Baghdad and the southern city of Basra pitted Iraqi security forces against the Mahdi Army militia loyal to radical Shiite cleric Muqtada Sadr.

U.S. officials have accused Iran of training and arming splinter factions of Sadr's movement, pointing to large caches of Iranian-made weapons found since March as proof of Tehran's interference. A Mahdi Army commander told The Times this spring that militia factions were getting weapons from Tehran.

In Iraq, most Shiite political figures have strong ties to Iran dating to their time in exile after they fled Saddam Hussein's rule during the late 1970s and early 1980s.

2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Or--they could actually come to some common ground agreements.

Why immediately not only say something bad is going to happen, but that it's Bush's fault when (if) it does?

Basing this only on anectdotal evidence, but it certainly seems as though Iran is very interested in chatting with people. Now that could be a stalling tactic, or it could be a realization (further up the food chain from Nutty Muppet) that they're in a potentially tough spot.

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +366 / 9 / -13

So Patters if he is just a gofer for the Iranians why did he turn the Iraqi army loose and destroy the Mahdi militias, Why did Iranians Quuds leaders get captured along with the #2 Hezbullah military leader?

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Good questions!

How much do you wanna bet that Bush didn't know what any of those groups were before the invasion?

5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +366 / 9 / -13

the odds of Bush knowing these groups is greater than Obama knowing that Arabic isn't the language in Afghanistan.

6. Patters

Ratings:
    +481 / 20 / -17

Well, here's what I know. Iran and Iraq have been making overtures to each other. Iran no longer has a major enemy on its border and has devoted its resources to building nuclear weapons. The Mahdi militias are not destroyed, but are laying low and are quite likely closer to the Iraqi government than we are. Let's remember that the Iraqi government signed a peace deal with Sadr last month that was brokered by Iran. I wouldn't trust that deal, and would assume it has to do with Iran's medium or long term plans.

7. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I'm giving even money on that line

8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +366 / 9 / -13

BO already screwed that one up....when he was off the teleprompter...

9. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Bush already screwed up when he didn't know that there were shia, suni, and kurdish people in Iraq.....he thought they were all 'muslim'

even money.

10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +366 / 9 / -13

Didn't realize Bush was running...

11. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Your geopolitical understanding of the situation is priceless. :singing:

Maliki is flexing a bit (he's earned it), and he's setting his footers firmly in the ME sand. He's there also to slightly placate Iran, who is honestly sh!tting themselves at the thought of permanent US base within striking distance.

Believe me, Maliki is standing on a better leg then ever right now. I'm sure they'll be another "stopping fukcing around in my country" message forthcoming.

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +481 / 20 / -17

Personally, I think it's naive not to understand the long-standing relationship that Iran had with Iraqi exiles while Saddam was in power, not to mention the role of religious sects in the ME.

13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +830 / 7 / -2

:rofl:

ten charactors