Welcome to PatsFans.com

Iraq Has Given Iran an Edge

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by All_Around_Brown, Feb 20, 2006.

1. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Bush's legacy may be to have helped Iran get on the path to becoming a superpower. Several of us have been making this point for months, that the Iraq war is playing right into the hands of the radicals in Iran.
  3. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Another Bush's legacy is the diminishing stature of America's influence in world affair.

4. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Our credibility, the sympathy and support that we had after 9/11...
    All gone.
    We do have a few more generations of guaranteed America haters now, though, and the war business is as profitable as ever, so how bad can things really be?
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

We'll have a massive bombing of Iran's nuke sites before Bush is out of office. He has the balls to do it and he knows if he doesn't, it could be a long time until someone is willing to do it.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

From what I've read, many analysts think it won't be easy to destroy Iran's nuclear facilities because they've been preparing for a bombing for years. Also, I think the fact that Russia is on their border and that they have some regional support complicates matters further. We'll have to do something, but without their enemy Iraq, the best we can realistically hope for is to set back their nuclear program while the world comes to grips with the extent of the problem that Bush II created in the region.
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I don't think it'll be as bad as some think, we have the bunker busting bombs that go down a couple of hundred feet before exploding, that should be enough . . . if not we have a problem. When Iraq planning for being bombed they probably didn't account for bunker busters.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Only as ******* would try to eliminate nukes from a rogue state like Iraq ? OK.
  9. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Didnt the left claim that Iran hardened Iraq's military up prior to Gulf War I?

how'd that work out for the left? They were steamrolled at a pace that would make the French seem like the Japanese at Okinawa.
  10. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's hard to do, too! A bunch of starving Jews with a few guns in Warsaw held the Wermacht off longer than France did.
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Last I read the war is still going on, only it's not playing out like anyone expected it, including the people who launched the invasion. Also, did the left make the claim you said it did. Possible, but I don't recall. Do you have a link?
  12. OhExaulted1

OhExaulted1 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +255 / 13 / -21

#15 Jersey

The "steamroll" ended very quickly in Iraq. Now we have 70 covert roadside attacks everyday over there. Great Job, Righties!!!

I'm so glad we got those Iraqi's before they got us. Now it's time to sell our souls to Saudi Arabia. Who casres if 15 of the 19 hijackers came from that country? We got Saddam Hussein, who's guilty of killing his own people.

George W Bush has handed us the murderer of Iraqi's to divert our attention away from those who murdered AMERICANS. That is the WHOLE AND SIMPLE TRUTH.
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Talon, I love the infusion of new, coherent ideas like you bring, but I just can't stomach the Seahawks helmet. You guys pissed me off by losing to the Stillahs. You're like the dems losing to the repubs and the chimp. How'd that happen?
  14. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The war has been over for years. We are now in the cleaning up and rebuilding stage that we were in Germany and Japan in 1948 or thereabout.

The problems happening now are not the armed conflict between military forces that characterized the war up until Baghdad fell and the Iraqi forces surrendered. That was when the war ended. Now it's an insurgency -- or more accurately, just plain ol' crime.

(I'm not using the word "terrorism" to describe it, even though the crimes are acts of terrorism, because they're not having the desired effect of inspiring terror. The people are just cleaning up and carrying on with their lives, which means they are winning, and the terrorists are not. Compare that with the D.C. Sniper a couple of years ago -- that is an excellent example of terrorist acts actually inspiring terror in people. The city was half paralyzed as that was going on.)
  15. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sorry about the helmet, but not too sorry. :D I would have liked to have beaten the rustbuckets, but the refs apparently had other ideas.

(The way I see it, we had four major obstacles to overcome:
    - injuries on defense
    - dropped passes and missed field goals
    - a few big plays by the rustbuckets
    - horrid officiating
    ... and we could have overcome any three of those obstacles, but not all four.)
  16. OhExaulted1

OhExaulted1 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +255 / 13 / -21

#15 Jersey

The "cleaning and rebuilding stage" you mention are NOTHING like Germany or Japan. These people in Iraq need to take over control of their own country.

We can"t babysit them forever. That was the mistake we made in Vietnam.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

If one of our APC's or HMV's hit an IED, is that considered a "crime" by a "terrorist"? If the Chinese were occupying Canada, wouldn't you be in British Columbia laying bombs in train tunnels to keep them from moving around? I know I would. Wouldn't that make me a "North American Insurgent" in the Chinese newspapers?
  18. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Patience, my child, patience. We have no intention of "babysitting" them forever. But we can't pull out before they're ready to take over.

Why do you say it's NOTHING like Germany or Japan? (By the way, it's worth noting that we're still in Germany and Japan.)
  19. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I changed my avatar, just for you. :)
  20. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The short answer is yes. When we find bomb-makers, we don't kill them (which is terribly unfortunate, in my opinion), we arrest them.