Welcome to PatsFans.com

Iraq economy going strong despite dissension

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by bigdgp, Dec 21, 2006.

1. bigdgp

bigdgp Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -22

Looks like a holiday revelation for the Main Stream Media... somehow this will be discredited by those on the other side.
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

Those of us who don't rely on the MSM for all of our information already knew this. The Iraqi economy has grown significantly for a couple of years now. There has been a significant investment made it Iraq's currency, the dinar. I personally know 2 MP's who served tours in Iraq (my brothers in-laws, both at Abu-Graib). Both of them talked about the Iraq economy when they got back. They each invested in the dinar. They spoke so glowingly about what they saw economically, that both my brother & my dad invested in them as well.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +163 / 4 / -4

Nothing riskier than investing in currency. I knew a currency trader when I lived in Denmark. He was relatively small time, and worked with "only" $40 million. He said that he (his partner in the business, actually) was constantly on the phone and online trading at as fast a pace as possible. Apparently, it's like day trading on speed. Hope the Dinar holds its value. At any rate, with the dollar tanking, it may just be a matter of time before the Dinar proves to be more valuable than the American dollar.

I don't see how an economy can do well with 30-50% unemployment. I think it's a problem that an economy can be measured independently of the welfare of its citizens.
  5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

One thing is for sure. Those people are as capitalistic as we are by and large. If we can find a way to make it so that 'keeping up with the Joneses' over there doesn't mean having the very best rocket launcher on the block, they will find a way to live successfully. Communism is about as popular as Bush is over there.