Welcome to PatsFans.com

Iraq Cabinet approves draft of oil law

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

This could be a very good development were they to come to a consensus and agree to the specifics of the bill. Passing an oil law is critical, especially if it gives the Sunni's a share that they are happy with.

Iraq Cabinet approves draft of oil law

Tue Jul 3, 6:10 AM ET

BAGHDAD - Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's Cabinet has approved a draft of a key oil law, and the Iraqi parliament was expected to begin debate on the measure Wednesday, an official said.

Government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh said the parliament would open debate on the law, which the U.S. is pressing Iraq to pass to boost reconciliation between the country's Sunnis and Shiites.

Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's Cabinet approved the draft law after amendments prompted by comments from the Sunni Iraqi Accordance Front and other blocs in his coalition, Dabbagh said. He did not say when the Cabinet approved the measure.

"The parliament is expected to begin discussing the law as of tomorrow," he said.

On June 25, a government official and acting Parliament Speaker Khaled al-Attiya told The Associated Press that the Cabinet had approved the draft oil law and referred it to the "State Shura (legislative) Council." He was referring to the body that was to quickly revise the drafts then send them to parliament for discussion.

The United States has pressed al-Maliki's government to pass the oil law, which will define distribution of Iraq's oil revenues, a top concern of Sunni Arabs, who populate regions of Iraq that are largely without oil resources. The bill is one of several pieces of benchmark legislation the U.S. seeks to promote reconciliation among Iraq's sectarian and ethnic groups.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070703/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_oil_law
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Question:

how much oil do Exxon mobil, BP , Shell, etc. get in this deal? Gotta keep making those dudes RICHER!
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Can't good news just be good news ?

Anyway if you're jealous of oil companies, do what I did . . . join them. My Energy mutual fund has more than made up for what I pay at the pump.
  4. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

:confused: This has nothing to do with Exxon or BP et al. This is about how oil revenues will be distributed by the different factions in Iraq. The sooner these people come to an agreement on how to distribute the govt. oil revenues, the sooner we can get the fukc out of there. This is a critical issue over there.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

jealous....

not really the word I'd use.

I applaud your investment strategy, it makes sense from a financial standpoint with most the world dependent on that product and most researchers saying that there is a limited supply of it. I'd imagine you will only make MORE money on it.

having said that.

Burning the remains of dinosaurs is polluting our planet and putting money in the hands of terrorists. We need to stop both of those things.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

we are not leaving that country. How can we attack Iran if the troops lave?

silly goose!
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I'm sure you think that every time you drive in your car, or fly on a plane. ;)
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Silly goose? I'm not the one wearing the tinfoil on my head now am I?
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

yes I am.

This is not an overnight change, but we need to get this ball rolling in the right direction NOW.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

are you sure?
    you know what happens when you point fingers, right?
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

That depends on which finger it is that you're pointing.
  12. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

what the story conveniently leaves out is any explanation of the multinational corporations share in exploring for and developing the oil fields.
    But that omission is exactly what you would expect from Murdochs news outlets.

This is what has hurt their efforts at reconciliation thus far. The multinationals want to reap the profits while giving very little back to the people.

True, RW, this is key to is what is fueling the bloodbath, and until we allow the Iraqis the independance of self determination of their resources...this isnt going to change anything. BTW...you think the Shia will smile and split the wealth we have "given them" after Sunnis just blew up their sacred mosque?

Riiight....Ill be optimistic when we actually forge an international independant council to draft an oil law...not this puppet government.
  13. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

We needed to 20 years ago. What I have a problem with is the haters pointing the finger at Bush and Cheney when we've had decades to do something. We had an oil crisis under Carter decades ago. Mr. Environment himself was V.P. for 8 years. Republicans too, in between. Nothing happened, it's not suddenly all on Bush.
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

best comeback of the day!

I salute you.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I feel ya, when it comes to the energy policy, its always the thing to beat on the current administration, after all they are the ones who have the power to change things. Trust me, I'm always complaining that we are not doing enough, no matter who is in office.

HOWEVER.

the bush administration has taken giant steps backwards in safguarding our environment and giant leaps ahead in getting money to big oil companies and polluters.

It just seems that they are making no efforts at all, no steps ahead. That makes me sad.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  16. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Al Gore didnt convene a secret energy task force and then refuse to reveal the meetings attendees to Congressional committees.
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

We've been in reverse for a couple of generations now. I remember when gas shot up under Clinton, and he released the reserves, and my brother was (hardcore rpub) saying, along with the right, that it was a political stunt, yada yada....then, GW is in office, gas prices shoot up, and guess what he does, he releases the reserves and the left says.....

It's all the same people. We should be investing money into hydrogen fuel cells.
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Yeah, you salute me alright. With a single finger. :eek:

Kidding bud. You know i luv you Holy! ;)
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Didn't pollution go up higher under the Clinton Admin than any other? I might be wrong, but I thought someone posted that in here before.

They are all the same!
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Very true yes, but he also didn't do anything to change what this country has always done, and that's abuse oil. Like illegals, when it comes to oil, every admin simply wants the flow to be constant. Niether wants to pass effective policy that might be in it's worst interests politically.