Welcome to PatsFans.com

Iraq Banned from Summer Olympics

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Jul 24, 2008.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

IOC claims there is no event called "Team Suicide Bombing" or "Occupation Resistance Medley"....Also claiming US soldiers cannot participate on the baseball team....

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The International Olympic Committee has banned Iraq from competing in the upcoming Summer Olympics games because of what it says is political interference by the government in sports.

An Iraqi Olympic Committee official said the IOC sent letters in Arabic and English confirming the ban.

The official said the seven Iraqi athletes who were to travel to China for the games in August are disappointed by the decision.
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +295 / 3 / -13

C'mon wistah...slow day? Just add this to the "Who cares" list.
  3. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I care, I think that's a crap move by the IOC. Wasn't the Iraqi soccer team a feel-good story of the 2004 games? I mean come on, the IOC is concerned with government involvement with Iraqi athletes, but has nothing to say about the suspicious programs of the HOST COUNTRY? Anyone else see a striking resemblance between Chinese female swimmers and their East German counterparts of 30 years ago? Or how about how athletes were treated in the Soviet Union if they choked in the games? What about in Iraq under Saddam, and I think especially one of his sons? No problems there, but now there's a problem? I don't get it (as usual).
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 4 / -2

I read this article too, and was kinda scratching my head. The IOC is another UN. It's filled with fat cat pension funders, who get flown around the world on private jets, while being lavished with expensive gifts (I wonder if they're hiring :D). Anyone ever see how much money they get from places who want to host an Olympics? It's insane. The Iraqi's weren't going to medal in anyone of the 4 or 5 events they would have participated in. Just let them compete. There are some things that transcend some stupid administrative rule. Their competing would have been a positive for the country as a whole. Oh well.
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +775 / 5 / -15

#87 Jersey

They won their appeal and the team can go ... group hug time.
  6. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

the IOC is off their rocker for banning them in the first place
  7. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +387 / 6 / -9

It would be interesting the know the procedural problem that caused Iraq's olympic committee to not yet be recognized by the IOC.

there are several possibilities:

1) Iraq's olympic committee didn't cross a "t" or dot an "i" right, or for that matter, had not applied at all;

2) It takes a while to get standing for a national committee - this is something I don't really know to be the case or not to be the case. I know Taiwan tried for decades; or

3) The IOC was making a statement about the status of Iraq as a sovereign nation. I will not comment on the correctness of their evaluation, if indeed this was involved in the determination.

In any event, we are now assured that the IOC considers Iraq a sovereign state with a completed and valid application.

PFnV
  8. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

4. the IOC aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree.
  9. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I believe the issue was they hired officials for their Olympic program who weren't approved by the IOC, something like that.
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 4 / -2

11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +387 / 6 / -9

I'll read that when you spell "Blix" right.