Welcome to PatsFans.com

Iraq asks U.N. to end US Immunity

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mikey, Jul 10, 2006.

1. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +783 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

But if the UN agreed to such a thing, who the heck do they think they're going to find to enforce...? They always come running to us when they need something enforced... I suppose the Belgians and French will put on those powder blue helmets and teach our soldiers a thing or two about military action...?
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's the point.
    The UN is only capable of what the US decides it is. That makes the UN impotent and moot as a world governing body. The veto powers of the permanent members is also a farce. The UN is a friggin joke! :cool:
  5. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why wistahpatsfan, my good friend, we finally found something we agree upon..!!

Speaking of veto powers... how the heck did France end up with a position on the security council..? I mean, what's the rule...? Surrender your country a couple times and you get a seat..? It is almost the literal truth to say the rain slowed Hitler down more than the French army did.
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +783 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

The U.N. is a farce and should be remodeled as a humanitarian orginization...nothing more.
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

We probably agree on more than you think. I'm a libertarian, though, so my political opinions are wierder than most because they're modelled after Jefferson and Washington. Most people think their ideas are wacked in modern context, but I think they were right for the most part (except the slave thing)
  8. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

France was the fourth nuclear power and opposed Russia (the second nuclear power) after WWII. Nuclear stockpiles can make strange friends.
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

France was put on the Security council with veto power at the end of WW2. When you look at the 'permant' members of the UNSC they are the 5 principal allied powers at the end of WW2: US, Russia, Great Britian, China and France. The Nationalist Chinese were replaced by the Chicoms a couple of decades after WW2.