Welcome to PatsFans.com

Iran.....our Ally?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Interesting perspective, although I'm super skeptical of 'unnamed sources'

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/02/21/btsc.iran.amanpour/index.html

By Christiane Amanpour
    CNN
    TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- As I sat down recently with a senior Iranian government official, he urgently waved a column by Thomas Friedman of The New York Times in my face, one about how the United States and Iran need to engage each other.

''Natural allies,'' this official said.

It was a surprising choice of words considering the barbs Washington and Tehran have been trading of late.

"We are not after conflict. We are not after crisis. We are not after war," said this official, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "But we don't know whether the same is true in the U.S. or not. If the same is true on the U.S. side, the first step must be to end this vicious cycle that can lead to dangerous action -- war."

He confided that what he was telling me was not shared by all in the Iranian government, but it was endorsed so high up in the religious leadership that he felt confident spelling out the rationale.

"This view is not off the streets. It's not the reformist view and it's not even the view of the whole government," he replied.

But he insisted he was describing the thinking at the highest levels of the religious leadership -- the center of decision-making power in Iran.

I asked whether he meant Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei himself.

"Yes," he said.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +501 / 6 / -2

All that is going on is posturing. Eventually, in a couple of months, you'll see some form of dimplomacy. At least that's what I think.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Man I really hope you are right, and that cooler heads prevail in this stand off....the problem is that the agenda set forth by the PNAC and a Clean Break dictate a different end to this.
  4. bigdgp

bigdgp Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow, more posturing for peace from Iran. Color me not convinced. Was this before or after their most recent "Death to Israel, Death to America" rally? The people in power there despise us with their souls and consider us all infidels that need to die. Anything coming out of their camp other than that is situational politics and another attempt to use public and international opinion against us "which they do masterfully". If had a nickel for every "Neville Chamberlain" alive today my fortune would be vast...