Welcome to PatsFans.com

Iran makeing noise on Straight of Hormuz

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, Dec 28, 2011.

1. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Today on CNN's website it showed a picture of a missile being launched in a military exercise. The article stated "To demonstrate its intent, Iran is holding a 10-day military exercise in an area from the eastern part of the Strait out into the Arabian Sea, with some elements playing the part of enemy forces."
    Could be more BS from Iran leaders, or some insane logic. If Iran decides to block the straight we will become involved. Iran has become the old Russia, just waiting for us two to go to war.
    Our national interests are at stake (oil). A war with Iran or anyone in an oil rich country is paramount to subsidizing oil. Maybe we should subsidize alternative energy without anyone dieing. Nah, that doesn't make sense......

Analysis: Saber-rattling in Strait of Hormuz - CNN.com

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +825 / 27 / -33

Too bad they weren't really playing with Sabers, a lot less collateral damage.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 5 / -10

The Anti Christ Will Come Out Of The Middle East

The World Will End

Insects And Rats Will Take Over The Planet

4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I say we wait until there's a world consensus to act, then act in concert with our allies and finally get out with a warning: Put any government you want back in place, but if this sort of shenanigans is repeated we're just going to knock it down again.

5. scout

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Some members as well as political opponents are awaiting Obama's move, as they will have a contrary view. Do we think Bush/Cheney/Haliburton would have waited this long?

6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Ah...the military-industrial complex theory rears it's head.

7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +465 / 12 / -14

When you are weak dictators become bold.

We can't do much to stop Iran

If You Thought War Expensive, Wait Until You Pay for Obama's Peace - John Ransom - Townhall Finance

Hope and change. Oh yeah for all the electric car fantasies, due to new EPA regs a number of power plants are closing with nothing coming online so the grid will be very stressed.

8. scout

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Reign, your not a believer? When Eisenhower made that statement it did not cause alarm or even a gasp. It was when everyone finally figured it out that that statement became a lightening rod. All one has to do is look at our defense budget which dwarfs the total of any number of combinations of nations, to understand we have issues with making war, bombs, arsenal, etc. If I call that a military-industrial complex than I guess I'm some left-wing loon?

9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I am not denying it exists...as a matter of fact, I do believe it does. And it often makes major decisions. It's just something I've heard since my college days and seems outdated...but no less real.

Why do think it's so hard to cut military spending?

10. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yep, we should just drill baby drill and when its all gone who cares!!! Drink and be merry today for tomorrow we die!!

OIL IS BAD
    OIL IS WHY WE ARE START WARS
    OIL WILL BE OUR DOWNFALL

Imagine if we followed J.Caters lead and started using different sources of energy 20 years ago? We would not give a rats ass is Iran cut off its oil.....no big deal! We let idiots run the show instead and here we are 20 years behind the 8ball, thanks right wing!!!!Always looking out for the rich....opps I mean the country!

Solar,Wind,Ocean,Fusion and a ton of other things are the future and its time we start going that way, so in 20 years we still aren't fighting stupid wars for stupid oil......

11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +465 / 12 / -14

WInd power is so middle ages.

If we were using our own assets we wouldn't need any oil imports. But we have been stupid so here we are.

12. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What happens when it runs out??? If we did do all our own drilling and made enough to support us or a while.

What's your plan? Buy the oil? We would be in the same spot we are in now, it 20-50 years.....

Pats13, you seem like smart guy you really do...I just can't figure out why any person with any intelligence would not think about the future! You know it can't last forever so why would you put all your eggs in one basket?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +825 / 27 / -33

Hydrofrack on.. keep putting those secret, toxic chemicals into our aquafier and the outcome will not be very good... and then putting the excess into our sewage plants, that do not know how to treat them, because what they contain is a secret.. then pump the "clean" water into our rivers and oceans.

First up are the 26 million folks between NYC and Philadephia..

This is an ecological armageddon awaiting to happen...

14. scout

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

A few months back, I attended a grant meeting which was about storytelling. One of the objectives of a good story is to use a phase that "sticks". "Are you better off today, then you were four years ago?" Evidently, "the military industrial complex" worked in that regard. There are also stories which stick, which are myths. All those Halloween incidents involving razors in apples, laced candies, etc. were all myths. But, people believed them because they sounded so real. Which gets me to cutting military spending. How much propaganda do you think is out there for us (U.S. is #1 in the world in propaganda). Then, there is the agenda of people in power, whose interests are not the U.S. economy or the cost of living for the average American. The problem we are faced today is equivalent to the tobacco belt. We are selling a product which kills and harms innocent people but also employs millions and is critical to our revenue.

15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

The crappy part about the MIC is that they're actually right about what would happen to their businesses if we cut military spending dramatically. It would kill their profits...but also hurt unemployment significantly as well.

That's the tough part. Companies like Raytheon employ hundreds of thousands of workers. So if/when we do cut military spending, we're going to need a plan to keep people working. Keeping in mind we really can't increase gov't spending much to accomplish that because that's the reason we're cutting military spending in the first place. Frikkn' catch-22 big time!

Even the thing about propaganda isn't all bad. I wouldn't mind some prop that's only goal was to foster more community activity and things like that...but who knows the extent our prop machine has been engaged?

Think about how complicated it is to keep a nation of 300,000,000+ united, peaceful and prosperous in today's world climate. It's not only complicated, it's damn frightening.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011