Welcome to PatsFans.com

Iran Captures 15 British Sailors - another Gulf of Tonkin?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Mar 24, 2007.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

The timing of this is very suspicious. The US has been amassing forces for an invasion of Iran, and there is also an upcoming UN Security Council meeting on possible Iran sanctions. I wouldn't be surprised if the British intentionally went into Iranian waters to provoke them, and then immediately demand the release of their soldiers on all the media they could find.

This sounds like another 'Gulf of Tonkin' incident (the fake incident used to justify going into Vietnam).

2. Danny Boy®

Danny Boy® Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

When we were fighting al Qaeda in Afghanistan, the public was saying "lets get Saddam on our way out", so we did...then they said "why are we going after Saddam, the Iranians are a bigger threat"...and now that theres tension with Iran, the people are saying "why are we doing this"

:rolleyes:

Its a lose/lose situation no matter what happens.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +817 / 2 / -9

We'll have to get Oliver Stone and Dan Rather to look into this one.

4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Danny_Boy, what are you talking about? Everyone wondered why we were in Iraq in the first place, and then got pissed when it turned out there were no WMD and it was clear the administration lied. NO ONE wants to go into Iran now except Neocons, Israelis, and the British.

Honestly, I have no clue what you are talking about. Are you insane?

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +520 / 14 / -28

I thought the same thing, what did not want to post it as would be accused of some leftwing nutjob thing, the only thing that if it was a Gulf of Tonkin reasonable fascimile it should have been US sailors, not British. Then I thought of the Pueblo incident, but you never know, stay tuned the sabers will be rattling soon.

6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

It sounds almost exactly like Gulf of Tonkin - deliberately provoking a hostile response, and then using it to take a reluctant American public into war. Do government officials think the American public is really this stupid?

7. Danny Boy®

Danny Boy® Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I guess you dont remember all the "get saddam on your way out signs, eh?

8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Always nice to hear the Blame-America-First crowd..!! Although I guess in this case it would be Blame-UK-First...?

Anyway, if this is another Gulf of Tonkin, it's pretty impressive how we got both the Brits and the Iranians to go along with it.

9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Danny Boy, mah boy, you shore do makes a lotta sense when you isn't talking about Bob Kraft..!! :D

10. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

You're overthinking it. The US got the British to send sailors into Iranian territory, provoking them. They knew the Iranian response would be to naturally protect its borders and territory.

11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

is anyone really surprised by this at all? there mere fact that we've sent 2 and soon 3 carrier groups to the region amplifies the risk of some kind of collision.... it's almost inevitable, even if it's some innocuous event...

this is exactly what Washington wants.... so that they don't look like the aggressors, they'll just fumble around, clumsily, and wait until they bump into something, and Iran gets defensive...

this was predicted last year...

12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow... that's amazing how the British Navy and British Marines are now taking their orders directly from the U.S. conspirators. :rolleyes:

It's also amazing how the exact same people in this forum always line up together on the "Blame-America-First" side of thing... doesn't matter what the evidence is or anything else like that... In their eyes the mere fact that it happened means it must be America's fault.

13. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Quigon, you're either extremely naive, or simply choose to be believe what is told to you without thinking for yourself.

Government has been doing this for years. We create fake incidents, or provoke someone we want to fight, in order to manipulate the populace into agreeing with a war. Look into how we got into WWII, Vietnam, Iraq, and also how we had plans to attack our own military and blame it on Cuba (Operation Norwood).

Sure it may just be a huge coincidence that we've been bringing in 3 aircraft carriers over the past year, and now the British sailor incident, but sometimes you have to read between the lines.

14. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, I just have a much more thorough understanding of how these things work. And I don't default to the Blame-America-First position you and other like you just natuarally default into.

Yeah that whole Pearl Harbor thing was one helluva conspiracy theory... :rolleyes: Who's the naive one here...? Me or the guy who believes everything some nutjob conspiracy theorist spouts...?

BTW, it's tough to contend you know what you are talking about when you can't even remember the correct name of "Operation Northwoods". But I'm sure you know everything about it... you just couldn't even get the name right :rofl:

By the way, let the record show that not once have I said that the British were innocently patrolling Iraqi territory. I would not be surprised in the slightest if they did cross into Iranian water. You're a fool if you don't think these sort of things happen all the time. I'm have no doubt we have submarines in Iranian territory at this very moment spying on Iran.

As for this current incident, there will be a little bit of diplomatic posturing, each side will express their self righteous moralistic outrage, then the sailors and marines will be released (like that time China arrested some members of the U.S. Navy for espionage when their plane was forced to land on Chinese soil a couple years back). It's not a big deal, and it is not some international grandiose conspiracy orchestrated by the United States.

15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +520 / 14 / -28

This is not blame, it is skepticism, from the people who brought you the fictioinalized WMD's in Iraq, from the People who are rattling sabers off of the coast of Iran, from the People who have consistently lied about just about everything since they have been in office.. this adm wants conflict with Iran pure and simple, so when this happens questions arise. We do not know the details, but it does appear that the Brits violated their space and they were detained.

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +817 / 2 / -9

Get Bush is what they really want, at any cost.

17. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Ok. I've had about enough of this crap. If it's politically correct now to bash the US for every Gd-dmned bad thing that happens in the world then I'm going to give you back an equal dose. Just becasue you have a right of free speech does not mean that it is your sacred duty to exercise it daily with unsubstanciated BS. Read between the lines? I don't have to with this crowd. You guys come right out and say America's bad, every single day. You quietly take advantage of every comfort and benefit handed to you by the the US in one hand and you give it the finger with the other.

18. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

For the record, its not about blaming America. Its this specific administration. Which btw, goes down the toilet for good in 666 days.

Oh and I'll admit that its a bit of a stretch to say that its Bush's fault that these sailors are now in serious danger, but not quite so big as saying 'On 9-11, 19 Saudis and Kuwaitis attacked us. So lets beat the ever loving daylights out of Iraq.'

19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

It is a huge stretch. There was a big earthquake in Japan. I know it's a bit of a stretch to say that's Bush's fault but..................

One conspiracy after another if forwarded day after day. More and more people jump on the bandwagon. I have a feeling in 666 days, many of the same people will be blaming us for everything still, and be doing from there comfortable, US provided standard of living.

20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +817 / 2 / -9

Get Bush
    Hate
    Sore Losers