Welcome to PatsFans.com

IQ Tests

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by gomezcat, Sep 3, 2006.

1. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Does anyone know if they are reliable? Miss Gomezcat and I did one on BBC last night, via a programme called "Test the Nation". According to it, I have an IQ of 90 and Miss Gomezcat's is 97. Both are some way below the national average, yet I have a degree and a Postgraduate Diploma. She has a degree and a Master's. Are these tests accurate? I would never claim to be a genius but I find it surprising that we both scored below the national average. Oh, and I AM bitter and pissed off. :eek:

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The fact that you ask any of us this question might be confirmation of your score...sorry. :eat3: :eat1:

3. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

D'oh! I just thought that doing a test from the telly which asks you about "how many knots will this string have when pulled tight?" is hardly the most reliable method of telling a person's intelligence. I just need some confirmation so that we can both feel less stoopid. :(

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's why I avoid really smart people. That way, I can be one of the smarter ones at the parties. :rocker:

As for your academic achievements, don't forget that Bush graduated from Yale. :eek:

5. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Damn, I feel worse now (sniff!). :(

6. Krazy Koz

Krazy Koz On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well this is a complex question with an equally complex answer. I'm finishing my master's in clinical psychology and am trained in the WAIS-III IQ test. I am familiar with the Stanford Binet, but have not have used it. The short answer is that your score in the 90's is average, but it depends on the test and the norms that your score is being compared to. Most likely if it was over the phone or some 10 question survey, you completed an unreliable test that is a short form hodge podge of the original. The long answer is people aren't even sure if IQ (Intelligence Quotient) is really measuring intelligence. What it does measure (the WAIS and similar tests) are some culturally relevant material and daily living skills there are compared to others on that same set of material. Whether it measures intelligence is a long story and a debate that continues today. If you really want to know more, send me a private message and I'll do my best to answer them.

7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Well maybe you could take night classes to smarten yourself up? Are you able to follow me ok? Remember to sound the words out if you're having trouble;)

I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone online claim an IQ score below 640 on a standard (100=average) test.

Props to you Gomezcat, and remember the operative word in the sentence above is 'claim'

8. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't call an IQ test you can take on TV accurate by any stretch. You should try going through Mensa or another recognized testing organization to assess an accurate score. There are several different testing methods, so you might want to talk with someone who is versed in this area to decide which is best if you are really interested.

# of degrees earned does not always equal intelligence.

9. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -1

Well, admitting you have a problem is the first step.

There are some things you could do that can help strengthen your intelligence.

Do you wear glasses? Do you part your hair to one side? Do you carry a book about and pretend to read while actually looking at girls? Do you look dismayed and/or shocked when someone asks a question of you containing 'thick' words like permabulatory, nuclear or balmy? Learn to bite your tongue when you want to laugh in any Bergmann or Kubrick film, no matter how often that occurs. And as Miss gomezcat is more intelligent than you try and nod only once when she asks you to do something as this will limit her doubt that you actually understand her meaning. And lastly if something odd or distasteful occurs, quickly shake your head and blame it on Al Qaeda.

These are things I've done to help my 'image.' And as you are a full ocean away I don't think it will be odd at all if you behave the way I do......

10. CTPatsFan

CTPatsFan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Sorry gomez. While I find these tests to be very innacurate for myself they do tend to be spot-on for others ;)