Welcome to PatsFans.com

Iowa GOP Debate

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Anyone else watch it last night?

I admit to not watching closely - and I might have even dropped off to sleep for a moment or two - but all in all, it was more entertaining and interesting than I expected.

Not being a Republican this time around I have no real dog in this fight, but I was the most (newly) impressed with good old Newt. I now understand why he's survived so many years in politics. I thought he did good taking on the media, if nothing else.

Most disappointing was Huntsman. He was kind of a wash - nothing good nothing bad. Pretty much just nothing.

Most surprising (to me, anyhow) was Paul and his stance on "oh, hey, let Iran have their nuke. Who are we to say they don't feel they need one," attitude.

Least surprising was hearing Bachmann taking credit for the "chose your own lightbulb" law. (It failed.)

Most annoying? That would bem without a doubt, the people asking the questions. They were, as Newt said, pointedly irrelevant. Plus, they tended to focus on asking the same people multiple questions while ignoring other candidates. I would have prefered to have one question asked and everyone give an onopportunity to answer that same question.

Dumbest question? Asking Michelle Bachmann if she would be submissive to her husband if she were elected president. Sounds very "lame stream media" to me....I have been told repeatedly that Fox doesn't do that kind of thing.

Thing which made me realize that if I am looking for a Republican who is serious about erasing the deficit that it's not going to be found in 2012?

The shot of every hand in the air when asked who would turn down a debt deal which offered 10 dollars in budget cuts for every dollar of new tax revenue.
  2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Paul made so many great points that got the crowd going!

"Stop fighting wars that are 30-40 years old"

"These wars are costing us trillions!"

Paul started off, and weak... but he made Santorum look bad over and over agian.

I think Bachmann and Pawlenty are now officially out of it...

I think Mitt's campaign told Pawlenty, if you want to be Vice President... takeout Bachmann.
  3. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Pats were on. Wasn't going to watch anything else. I assume I didn't miss much, but I might see if I can catch it online or on C-Span.

Let Iran have nukes? I thought that was already our policy. What could go wrong?
  4. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Ron Paul's Response: ( Paraphrasing )
    "Russia was the greatest threat to Unites States in our History, and they had over 30,000 nuclear weapons, and were afraid of a country who might have one some time in the future maybe?"
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  5. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +483 / 6 / -7

The winner of the night: Barack Obama
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +887 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

Have to agree with Jack though I must admit that was my feeling before the debate as well.
    Also the Patriots reserves were having some fun and I had fun watching them.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  7. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -2

did they let Karger in?
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

If the election were this November your next president would likely be Mitt Romney. I'll be voting libertarian again.
  9. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +483 / 6 / -7

Doubtful. Multiple Choice Mitt would need to escape the Republican primary, which doesn't seem likely to happen.