Welcome to PatsFans.com

Investigator 95% Accurate Speech Analysis

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Nov 9, 2011.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +160 / 7 / -13

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +185 / 4 / -6

This is worthy of a thread of its own? Who is TJ Ward? What is this software? This is nonsense. I think most of us call this, "Grasping for straws."

Too bad Cain has backed down from his original statement that he would go for a lie detector test. Perhaps you could write to Cain and ask him to sit with some professional voice analyst who uses this software and operates using a standard testing procedure, rather than simply playing some recorded clips.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

VSA and accuracy:

Voice-stress analysis, an alternative to the polygraph as a method for lie detection, is already widely used in police and insurance fraud investigations. Now, however, it is being touted as a powerful and effective tool for an array of new applications — everything from the screening of potential terrorists in the nation's airports to catching wayward spouses in messy marital disputes.

Despite its booming popularity, a number of federally sponsored studies have found little or no scientific evidence to support the notion that existing voice-stress technologies are capable of consistently detecting lies and deceptions.

Research casts doubt on voice-stress lie detection technology | Newsroom | Washington University in St. Louis

Law enforcement agencies across the country have invested millions of dollars in voice stress analysis (VSA) software programs.[1] One crucial question, however, remains unanswered:

Does VSA actually work?

According to a recent study funded by the National Institute of Justice (NIJ), two of the most popular VSA programs in use by police departments across the country are no better than flipping a coin when it comes to detecting deception regarding recent drug use.

Voice Stress Analysis: Only 15 Percent of Lies About Drug Use Detected in Field Test | National Institute of Justice

Interestingly enough.....most of the articles on VSA are 4 -8 years old. The older ones mention as many as 1,500 law agencies using them. And, as the years go on, the numbers steadily decrease - until today, when the user in 13's article is proud of "70 departments around the country." 70 departments is nothing - there are 19,492 municipal governments and 16,519 town or township governments in the United States - virtually every one of them has their own law agency.

Lists & Structure of Governments – Population of Interest: Municipalities & Townships

And they don't necessarily detect lies - they detect stress which can be associated with lying - as well as with other causes. I'm pretty sure if I was on national television for the first time in my life and I was telling the world that some guy had stuck his hand up my skirt and pushed my head into his crotch that my voice would relay some stress. I'm pretty sure anyone's would.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

I find this type of stuff (like that body language segment on BOR) and this technology here, very fascinating. That being said, I wouldn't certify much with them.
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]
  6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +160 / 7 / -13

I think it was worthy of a thread since this is the first objective look at who was lying. I would guess Ward is involved in distributing the software. He claims it is 95% accurate and is used by 70+ police depts.

Investigator: Herman Cain innocent of sexual advances - CBS Atlanta 46

7. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

"95% accurate"

"There is no doubt"

OK...
  8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Sorry, but I checked some tea leaves, Cain's a liar. My tea leaf examination is incontrovertible. Why? Because I say so.

On a more serious note, cops use this sort of thing for resource management. Think back to the first OJ arrest. If he had passed this stress detector test the chief would have put 5 detectives on him instead of 10.

If fingerprinting and DNA led to a 1 in 20 chance of error(a 95% chance of accuracy) instead of 1 in 10 billion or more they would be laughed out of court.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

The right never answers this question:

If Cain is innocent why did the NRA make a settlement with the victim???
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

From TJ Ward's Website..

Investigative Consultants International, Inc.

But if he did not do anything, why did the NRA make a settlement????
  11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -9

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 2 / -9

Cain is a liar because he isn't up the Democratic Party's ass.
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +160 / 7 / -13

Because it was cheaper than litigating, whether he did it or not, a business was looking to lower cost this article explains it:

The Real Scandal by Thomas Sowell on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

So he risks his reputation over money, which does not seem to much of an issue for Cain..

Still makes no sense, if he did not do it, he should have contested it then.. not now.
  15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +160 / 7 / -13

It didn't risk his reputation, until this smear many years later. It has been verified that he wasn't told of the settlement. Given her subsequent allegations against her next employer it seem HR handled thing correctly since this was her Modus operandi.
  16. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

Given the multiple allegations against their employee, seems HR handled it correctly, since it was his modus operandi.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  17. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

In fairness to Cain, it probably wasn't his call, it was his employer's.

It's not as simple as "if he did not do it, he should have contested it." Contesting allegations, even if you win, can cost a lot of money, resources, mental energy, etc.
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

So now you are excusing him because he did not know that this case was settled.. it gets deeper with every response... he should have known the outcome, he was in charge of the NRA.

You are referring of course to the smear of Rick Perry, who dreamed all of this up at his Nigg..head Hunting Ranch..
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Right.....because sexual harassment is a once in a lifetime occurance.

Sorry, Ladies, only one per customer.

Besides, as has already been pointed out to you, she did not file a second sexual harassment charge. You can repeat the lie as many times as you like, I'll be right here to remind you that it's just that - a lie.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

But the subsequent point that he did not know about the settlement is laughable..

Usually the strategy of big companies is to out litigate the plaintiff, as they have deeper pockets and last longer.