Welcome to PatsFans.com

Introducing myself... English Pats fan

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by OldEnglandPatriot, Jan 22, 2006.

1. OldEnglandPatriot

OldEnglandPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought I'd introduce myself, having found this forum last week; reading posts here helped me calm down a little after the incredibly frustrating loss at Denver.

I'm from England, and started following the Patriots in 1985 when 'American Football' was a new phenomenon on British TV. I wanted to pick a team to support, and at age 15 the best I could think of was to choose the team in red, white and blue with the word 'England' in their name. (My poor next door neighbour picked the Dolphins and has suffered ever since).
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

OK I must be psychic. I could swear I read this exact post a few weeks back.
  3. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +223 / 19 / -10

A Very Patriotic Welcome !!
  4. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +321 / 20 / -48

#50 Jersey

Welcome Aboard. Lived in England myself, almost 30 years ago. Lived in High Wycombe. Was back to London about 18 years ago.

Hopefully, I will be able to start travelling again. Especially since I know that Europe has changed so much.
  5. Bill's Girl

Bill's Girl Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I was just saying earlier how much I like Brits! *lifting my tea cup in salute*

Welcome! Just promise you won't be starting threads about how boring BB is......:D
  6. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 1 / -0

Welcome aboard. You should get together with "Mike the Brit," a terrific, UK-based (I assume) regular on these boards.
  7. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Question... Why are you up at 5:00 A.M. London time on a Pats forum and have you ever seen the UKPatriots website?
  8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +425 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I was born in England and lived there until I was 12 (interupted by 4 years in CT). I've been in the U.S. since 1979. I was a big soccer and cricket fan back then :D
  9. OldEnglandPatriot

OldEnglandPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

living in canada

Please see my post 'FULL intro' with some more background. I posted this truncated version by mistake, hitting a keyboard shortcut accidentally!

I live in Canada now, which also meant I got to see my first live game in December with a trip down to Buffalo.

hadn't seen ukpatriots.com but will check it out.
  10. Bill's Girl

Bill's Girl Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I didn't know that!! I love this getting to know you stuff! Do you still have the English accent?
  11. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

D'oh! I should've noticed the London, ON. Welcome aboard. Mind I ask which English football club you support?
  12. OldEnglandPatriot

OldEnglandPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

my soccer team

I support Cambridge United, who you have probably not heard of. It's my hometown club.

We're a small club (average gate about 3000) but 13 years ago were in the playoffs to make the first season of the Premiership.... we would have been the smallest, poorest club ever to play in the 'EPL' (as I am learning to call it!).
  13. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Save Cambridge United! I remember that going around the Rivals.net network last year. Are Cambridge still in adminstration? It's hard to find Conference news on the Web.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  14. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +425 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

LOL, I have an in between accent ;) People over here think I sound English but all my English relatives think I sound American . . . as I've lived here for 25 years I guess I'll stay this way . . .
  15. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

You did, kind of! I wrote one along the same lines. It seems to be a common theme as to how many of us Brits became Pats fans, although in my case my next door neighbour got me into the Pats. Football had a cult following back then, as it was new and different. It was also possible to watch extended highlights on TV without staying up until the early hours.

Welcome aboad, Old England fan. Where are you from originally?
  16. marty

marty Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Welcome aboard Old England, we'll look forward to more O'Canada posts from you, Nova Scotia, and Halifax members!!
  17. OldEnglandPatriot

OldEnglandPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We're out of administration and doing ok in the conference, just above mid-table, which is a minor miracle given that we had about 3 contracted players in July.

However, we still face major challenges in surviving long term. We foolishly sold our ground (to one of our directors in a property development firm) BEFORE going into administration, and he is refusing to sell it back, so we face a crippling lease payment at present.

For Conference news, you can visit the quite good confguide.co.uk

There are even live conference games broadcast on the web at conferencefootball.tv
  18. OldEnglandPatriot

OldEnglandPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks! Depending on my American girlfriend's next career move I could end up in Connecticut in a year or two.... but Austin, Texas is also a distinct possibility, which would be rather inconvenient!
  19. marty

marty Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

You'd love Conn. I have a brother who lives in S.Windsor(beautiful area)and we visit a couple times a year for holidays etc. You'd probably have to put up with a few NY fans, but certainly closer to the Pats than Tx!!