Welcome to PatsFans.com

Interesting view on NFL "class' from Rush

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by The Gr8est, Jan 21, 2007.

1. wdkantro2

wdkantro2 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

This isn't about politics at all, what are you people smoking? He uses a question about the Chargers vs. Patriots to show what is wrong with the whole league. Politics are not even mentioned.
    I thought it was a great article, and the part I found interesting that no one has talked about is the Drayton Florence headbutt on Graham. Here is a team saying how classless their opponent is, while they were doing cheap crap like that.

2. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +789 / 6 / -10

#75 Jersey

Rush talked about that.

Since no Charger player was shot in a bar, I can't figure out who he means by these guys?

Maybe you can clear that up for me.

3. njpatsfan

njpatsfan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Don't listen to the irrational haters. This is actually a very good read. There is nothing here that most posters here haven't said themselves on the Charger class threads. And he supports the Patriots:

As for Tomlinson's trashing of Belichick and the team, he gives us the benefit of the doubt:

<I can almost hear NEM's head exploding upon learning BB plays golf with Rush. First Brady at a George Bush State of the Union address, now this>

And finally he hits the mark in the media's role in all this:

Great read.

R

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  4. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Steve Foley was shot after leaving a bar. He was drunk and harboring a fugitive while running from the police.

5. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 78 / -77

Disable Jersey

Well, let's look at the lines preceeding the "bars" comment:

So he takes the example and broadens it to professional players, not just the Chargers. As for who's been shot, again, Darrent Williams was shot and killed. Some other recent shooting/Gun incidents: Stephen Jackson (NBA), Steve Foley (NFL) Tank Johnson (NFL), Tank Johnson's 'bodyguard' (NFL-related). Earlier incidents involving players like Rae Carruth and Ray Lewis show that this is not just some recent fluke.

This is not a new trend, and it's not one that's been getting better. Check out this tidbit from the New York Daily News:

The NBA is now taking steps, albeit ones I think are misguided, to deal with the issue. Let's hope the NFL looks into it as well.

6. njpatsfan

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Perhaps if you actually read the article, then you would understand that he was talking about the death of Darrent Williams, who was shot after leaving a party at club hosted by NBA player Kenyon Martin, which happened LESS THAN THREE WEEKS AGO and was all over the news. I guess you missed it.

Though, as a previous poster pointed out, the statement could equally apply to the 'classy' Chargers Steve Foley.

All of which just reinforces his point. You might fault Rush for his politics, but you can't say he's uninformed. Much more informed than you, obviously.

R

7. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +789 / 6 / -10

#75 Jersey

My bad. I thought he was talking about Darrent Williams since he mentioned Iverson etc.

Still, losing your cool and getting a stupid penalty to getting shot in a bar is a stretch no?

How many penalties did the Pats get like that in the Tenn. game? Are they thugs?

How about Rodney Harrison? When you talk about trash talking and fines and penalties, that must make him a thug. Is he a gang member?

Bruschi, Vrabel? They don't talk about being dissed?

8. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +789 / 6 / -10

#75 Jersey

Who said he was uninformed. I think he's brilliant, I listen to him all the time.

He's knowledgeable about many things and uses them to advance his positions.

He's one of the most famous media people in the world and his fame is not due to his sports knowledge.

9. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +789 / 6 / -10

#75 Jersey

You'd be surprised I don't disagree with you about gang culture and the lack of discipline in sports. I just think Rush was using innuendo comparing a stupid foul By Drayton to hanging out with gang members and getting shot.

Unless he knows Drayton's a gang member, he's tarring "everybody" with the same brush.

And Steve Foley was driving ny himself, not hanging with a gang. Apparently he has an alcohol and/or drug problem which is something Rush doesn't seem to want to talk about these days for some reason.

10. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +789 / 6 / -10

#75 Jersey

And what does that have to do with Drayton Florence losing his cool and getting a stupid penalty?

Did he say Florence hangs with them or is a gang member? If so I apologize.

11. njpatsfan

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

It's ridiculous that this was moved to the political forum. How about removing the few posts by the 'usual' posters that act like children, and leave the pertinent discussion ?

Or is this just Patters abusing his mod privileges again ?

R

12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

nj, I don't have moderator privileges in the general forum, so you've by implication accused those moderators of abusing their privileges, made unsubstantiated allegations against me (and so revealed your own political bias), and called for censoring of posts of those you regard as children. Nice going. :bricks:

13. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 78 / -77

Disable Jersey

It wasn't Rush equating it with the gangs, it was a caller. Rush was, in fact, saying that they were NOT in gangs. You claim that you listen to Rush, but you clearly didn't bother to read the quoted transcript.

It's too bad the people on this site are so politically correct that they don't even bother to read an article before attacking it just because of the author. Between this and the post about the Colts staying out last night, I'm seeing far more censorship here than I had thought there was. It's very disappointing, to say the least.

On a board where one person was allowed to nearly destroy the place for months, noting that two men like white women is taboo (oh, the horrors! I like hispanic and asian women, and I'm white!) and pointing out what every other commentator already knows about the poor behavior of many professional athletes is somehow too racist and political. This is despite the fact that the behavior was the topic of seemingly endless threads during the week. Frankly, RayClay and Patters, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

14. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

NO, Patters did not move this thread. I sent a note to a mod on the football forum and asked that it be moved.

If you read all of the post , you would see that there was certainly non-football,political statements, being made. That made it political.

I, like Patters, am not a mod on that forum and could not move it. This is where it belongs due to posters getting political with it.

15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

I Can't See The Forest Because There Are To Many Trees.

Do Any Of You Realize What Has Happened In The World Of Sports?

:rocker: "oh,oh here it comes Harry, watch out"

16. mcbee

mcbee Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Rush said he needed to be "careful" with what he said. Why? Because he knows if he calls them "thugs" or "idiots", HE'LL get called racist by the self righteous politically correct jerks.

So the very fact taht he said that he needed to be "careful" means that he IS RACIST, according to those self righteous idiots.

Kind of ironic.

"I don't want to say anything that's going to be confused as being racist.".

SEE!! I told you he was racist!

Self-righteous people who always feel they're "protecting the black man" by going around calling people racist are mentally deranged, in my opinion. I've met some of them and black people don't like them either.

17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

If you are a "white conservative" and you tell a "politically correct liberal" that you own a "black car" Watch Out, as sure as God made apples the Liberal will do their best to make you look "racist"

Rush isn't the only one that has to watch what he says I have to, all the time.

Reality is another thing that brings yowls and screams of "Racism"

18. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Ray, I'm not going to defend Rush's point of view, as I can only take some much of his rants that always seem the same. Yet, I have to admire his consistency. He is upfront about his viewpoint, and he does not try to hide his personal "bias".

The one thing I like about him is his taking on those who *do* try to hide and then spin their efforts into something they are not: what's good for the public.

Political propaganda exists on all sides and from all viewpoints. Rush is hardly the first to have point of view he passionately holds. It is both his strength and his weakness. But to imply that his "propagandizing" is singular to him only is simply not true. The Left has its propagandists, too, and they have operated under the cover of darkness and false fronts for too long.

The National Education Association, for example, is a union whose over-riding concern is to protect those in the teaching profession; they care almost nothing of the content of education given to the students. Just look at both the achievement levels in basic math and reading skills, as well as the moral education given in schools. Horrific. Thanks in large part to the NEA. Yet they paint themselves as "the saviors of education". No, they are "saviors" of teachers, often incompetent, of holding jobs they are not qualified to hold.

19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Absolutely right NEM. The NBA is a shell of what it used to be. I rememeber the 80's and even early 90's where basketball was the best sport going. As is the case with most leagues, expansion clearly watered down the sport. That, coupled with all the inexperienced underclassmen and HS'ers who've entered the league without fundamentals, has murdered the quality of play. It's a playground game out there with 90% of possessions amounting to a 3 pointer, or a drive to the hoop against 3 defenders. There is no such thing as a 18' perimeter shot. Anyhow, I love the Celtics, but this league is hard to watch some times. It's gotten a little better the last couple of years, but a few years ago, every game was a 78-69 score. GROSS. In the 80's, every game went over 100.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Racists like that wonderful Senator from Alabama, you're personal hero, Robert Byrd?

At any rate, as much as I dislike Rush, which most in here know, why is it that he's labeled a racist for making points about the current culture in prosports? Are those of you who feel his comments are racist thus denying that there isn't any truth to what he's saying? I think Rush is voicing sentiment that the majority of fans feel. Again, I don't like Rush, he's agenda filled, a propogandist and borderline liar, but that doesn't mean he's incapable of making a valid point.