Welcome to PatsFans.com

Interesting view on NFL "class' from Rush

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by The Gr8est, Jan 21, 2007.

1. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,602 / 19 / -18

#75 Jersey

Rush Limbaugh is a political propagandist. Propaganda requires an element of truth, but he is not a sports reporter.

I had no trouble filling in the blank.... Why would he have to be careful? He is a very smart man with an extensive vocabulary, yet he couldn't even find an acceptable synonym?

A professional propagandist who is "blatant" defeats the purpose. He has to get his message across while maintaining deniability.

I'll get a hold of a David Duke speech sometime. I guarantee it's similarly camouflaged.

Wake me up when he has an article decrying drug use in the NFL.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  2. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

The topic was NFL & sports culture as exemplified by Tomlinson's "class" complaint. Race politics didn't enter into this discussion before your reaction to the author cited to start the discussion. I guess I'm not sensitive enough to read racism into that commentary. I'm more interested in the idea of "disrespect" sensitivity leading players to 'act out' in unsportsmanlike ways (given recent remarks by Mawae and the behaviors of Jaguars, Titans, and Chargers in those games). An area of interest considering this team fuels their intensity using "disrespect," and our fan sensitivity to the same.

3. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,602 / 19 / -18

#75 Jersey

One stupid play where a player loses his cool.

Who are "these guys"? Was a Charger player shot in a bar?

Explain that Box. Those sentences are in context.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  4. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,602 / 19 / -18

#75 Jersey

BTW, the Patriots had similar stupid penalties against Tenn.

Are the Patriots like "these guys" who are getting shot in bars late at night?

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

Rush has not gottten over his unceremonious dumping after his Monday nite fiasco, briefly read the article as I often do, but found that he was spewing his jaded views of the world on football. Rush, as many others do, will use the NFL or NBA as a springboard for their rants and attempt to politicize it. Football, Basketball and Baseball are what they are sports pure and simple nothing more and nothing less.

6. TheBostonStraggler

TheBostonStraggler In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +350 / 2 / -1

You have a point.....to a point. Yes, the NBA has become glorified schoolyard ball, albeit highly glorified, however, the fans are to blame not the players. What tunes people in is what will be put on display. An astonishing, athletic feat, amazing dunk always gets on the nightly sports report replay. Why? Cause that's what the most amount of people will stop and watch. What gets the headlines is what drives the players and future players. Nothing wrong with the dunk at all as a form of scoring imho. The problem is the emphasis now is placed too heavily on it. Other skills are not as practiced. Team ball, and the fundamentals that go along with it, is lacking compared to 'the days' of the lakers and celts . The foreign teams do the team ball thing (and the fundamentals) better and the NBA does the showtime thing much, much better. Lastly, imho, if the NBA were able to negotiate non guaranteed contracts like the NFL(never going to happen), it would do amazing things for the fundamentals of the sport. You can add baseball to that list too. IMHO, if the NFL had guaranteed contracts, you would never see a team like the Patriots (heart, fundamentals, coaching, team first etc etc... routinely beating teams with superior talent).

7. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

H'mm, what did happen with Ray Lewis that time, I'm afraid I didn't follow the story. Seems like I've heard of other professional and college players getting into scrapes at bars. The Chargers did have an OLB get shot by an off-duty officer - alcohol, DUI, and some pretty stupid behavior was mentioned in the stories I saw - I'm can't say that I followed that story either. What was that thread prior to the Chargers' game where 7 Chargers' players were noted to have had run-ins with the police?

Ray, if you want to parse the article for racism feel free to paste it into the Political forum and have at it. I am not asking you what your religious or political affiliations are, I don't care. I enjoy your football posts and your humor, I'm interested in the idea that was raised on "gang" influence in the sports culture and I don't see "gang" as exclusive to any race, so I find the racial interpretation puzzling and unnecessary. If you want to, you can easily find "thug" behavior in sports - Mawae comes to mind since he chose to grab some publicity on the Pats' coattails. Cincy, Jax, Ricky Manning's assault charge in LA, there are reasons to be interested in the topic.

8. TheBostonStraggler

TheBostonStraggler In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +350 / 2 / -1

When you bring Rush into a conversation, you are bringing politics into it even if there isn't a direct statement of politics in the post. Come on, everything Rush says is filtered through a political web. He has a conspicuous history regarding controversial things including race. I am not saying Rush is right or wrong. I am saying you bring up Rush and you are asking for it to be a conversation that goes outside the subject of sports. I am not telling you what to do, however, I think Rush, even if he is speaking sports, is best left to a different forum.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I was hoping the post would read 'Ghetti Lee thinks the Patriots are not only a class act but should go all the way to the SB' :cool:

9. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

"and Neil Peart is by the far the best drummer in the world"......

10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +594 / 24 / -19

An article by a loudmouth, drug-abusing liar on the lack of class in the NFL? I would say, the NFL is far classier than most talk radio, regardless of political leaning. Notice how on his website, this dirtbag starts with self-promotion:

CALLER: I’ve listened to you since September 11th, and I find that I almost always agree with you. I'd say I only disagree with you about 1.5% of the time coincidentally enough.

Coded racism. Who is he talking about here? What evidence does he have?

RUSH: After the play is over, a Chargers player gets in the face of a Patriots player, head butts him and starts jawing. This is the reason these guys are getting shot in bars, folks, late at night.

More coded racism, equating hip hop and rap with gangs.

RUSH: How so? These guys are not members of gangs.

CALLER: They're not? They're not? You got it in the NBA as well that they're doing. One particular player just got traded. He's come right out and talked about it.

RUSH: Well, I know the NBA guys have as their idols hip-hoppers and rappers.

CALLER: Exactly.

I agree this thread probably doesn't belong in this forum. Threads that prominently feature racists don't even belong on this website.

11. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +228 / 1 / -0

#95 Jersey

12. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,085 / 16 / -9

I think in a vacuum, Rush's current comments (as I've read them argued about here) work as coded racism, but he has plausible deniability, so people have the option of saying "any racism is supplied by the reader."

That is what coded racism means, however. Rush himself claims that you have to be racist to read that in, it was never his intent, etc. etc. etc. But the racist read is nonetheless available to a portion of his listeners.

So, it's either a) not there in the first place, or b) written to be unproveable, and therefore won't be proven here or elsewhere.

I do, however, remember Rush saying that McNabb isn't any good, and is only considered a good QB because he was black; this despite the fact that McNabb has been among the statistical leaders in the game for years.

I really do not need Rush to be a bigot to be okay never listening to his show. I do disagree with him enough politically to be moderately sickened by him, and I do find myself catching him in lies whenever I hear his rant often enough to know he is either ignorant or purposefully obfuscatory. Finally, there's the question of his drug addiction: what would Limbaugh say about you and me, were we caught with thousands of doses of oxycontin? How about Nancy Pelosi?

He needs to realize he truly excels at one thing, and that's the all-you-can eat buffet... failing that, however, I'll be damned if I'll be drawn into arguments about whether he was being racist in a particular quote or not. At the very least he is well known to be an unreliable source.

That said, If Rush is all about the Colts, we have a lock.

Oh yeah and this thread really does need to migrate to the political forum!

PFnV

13. nhpatsfan

nhpatsfan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"Now, LaDainian Tomlinson to me is the classiest player in the National Football League. He doesn't do a dance, he doesn't spike the ball when he scores. He and Marvin Harrison are the two most classy individuals playing in the National Football League today, in skill positions. They just hand the ball back to the referee. They act like they've been there and done that, like scoring a touchdown is no big deal, they don't taunt, they don’t act like they've been dissed or any of this."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think the article does have valid football points. Love or hate Rush, the two men he finds classiest are black. It doesn't sound to me like he's talking about a skin color thing, he's talking about a behaviour thing. That's his point, and that's what affects the sport we (liberals and conservatives) love.

14. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +196 / 15 / -3

sh, and that's how he got his ESPN gig in the first place. Doesn't surprise me with Disney though.

Dan Koppen has a lot of tattoos. Are you not going to root for him?

I remember back when I went to high school in 1981-1985, a few of my close friends got tattoos. One got Mighty Mouse, another the Irish flag. I have to say, tattoos are much mroe interesting these days. Things have changed. Some of these tats are much cooler than a national flag or a cartoon, some are hideous and utterly ridiculous.
    Still, if that's why you're turned off, then be prepared to turn off even more.

The NBA began isolation play because of Michael Jordan, the fact that he was unstoppable. It's an ugly style of basketball but it works.

The international game is different because of the lane rules and the zones.

But some of the NBA game is now going to college, where it's also highly effective. This isn't schoolyard ball. There are a great many incredibly talented yarders who couldn't master the intricacies of such an offense.

15. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,077 / 195 / -145

Disable Jersey

Now here are a bunch of posters showing off either their inability to read or their blind hatred. And the worst part of all is that a moderator is the worst offender. Let's go to the trancript:

So, it's about a decline in class, spurred on by television. He clearly notes that it's not just black players, calls two black players (Harrison, Tomlinson) the classiest players in the game while also pointing out his respect for Belichick, Brady and the Patriots, and talks about the players being "real men" that are "so tough".

Meanwhile, a bunch of bloggers who apparently can't read choose to take the occasion to insult a man who's not saying anything that most sportscasters have been saying about basketball for over a decade and football for years as well. In the zealousness to insult a man, these posters are overlooking that simple truth. He brings up a valid point, puts it into some context, with T.O. and the sharpie, etc... and all you people can do is insult him. Maybe he should have been talking about the decline of class in the blogosphere as well, because there's been very little class shown here by a certain group of people.

And, on a final note, as for the "these guys are getting shot in bars", are those of you complaining about it really so full of anger towards an individual that you're just going to overlook the shooting of Darrent Williams after leaving a nightclub in an attempt to make a point that's not there? And don't give me that "he wasn't on the Chargers" crap, since Rush wasn't limiting his commentary to the Chargers, but was talking about what he perceives to be a cultural problem in the league.

16. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +452 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

You should know better that go into that crap on the football forum. You should, like I just did, send off a note to a mod on this forum and have them move it over to your froum.

Regardless of what this guy says, it's like setting off a bomb here and this froum should be and must be a-ploitical.

17. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,602 / 19 / -18

#75 Jersey

My only point. That's the place to dissect this transcript.

18. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,602 / 19 / -18

#75 Jersey

I believe he was referring to Darrent Williams and NBA players.

I'd love for this to be moved to the political forum. I think there's a lot of truth to what he says, but It still has a "message" weaved in, because that is Limbaugh's job. I actually listen to him a lot and manage to catch his innuendos and "fill in the blank" unspoken words and other tricks. He is very skilled.

Any way you look at it, the more you read that transcript, the less it seems to be about football and that's my only point.

19. Ghost of Ben Dreith

Ghost of Ben Dreith Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Please move this thread to the political forum. I am here to read and reply to Patriot football related posts on this hopefully great day in Patriot history.

I really don't care about anybody on this forum's political persuasion or views. I have my own and they shall remain my own.....in this forum.

Thanks and ...... Go Pats!

20. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +451 / 36 / -17

Absolutely the truth. Dream teamers get beat when they play teams composed of lesser talents that can actually execute plays rather than play school yard "one on one". Coaches who don't Coach. Stars that won't pay attention and never learned fundamentals.

Many NBA stars can't perform plays and shots that most advanced players could do in the past, or do routinely on foreign teams.

How many can drive to both right an left and shoot a layup with either hand?
    Very few.
    What eve happened to blocking out and positioning for rebounds?
    A lost art.

Where did the art of playing Defense go?

Why are foreign stars often declared to be "complete players" when they play to the NBA?

The inmates are in charge of the asylum and the NBA is dying as a result.

In football the same rot is going on.

Why are Merriman and Phillips "great Players" when they ignore the run, ignore the screen or flare pass, and madly rush the passer, all the time?

Does a dozen sacks per year done in that fashion count for more than a half dozen sacks by a complete player who plays the run, isn't fooled by the screen, and plays the flare, before rushing the passer,and still gets a half dozen sacks per season? Almost everywhere...

... except for Bill Belichick. Supposedly good Coaches like Schottenheimer and Dungey with Freeney, allow that nonsense.