Welcome to PatsFans.com

Interesting view on NFL "class' from Rush

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by The Gr8est, Jan 21, 2007.

1. The Gr8est

The Gr8est In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_011907/content/eib_nfl_update.guest.html

Interesting take from Rush Limbaugh on the state of the NFL, and by extension other sports.

Personally, I found myself turning of a Celtics game last year when I saw this guy with tatoos down the the neck and both arms and I just said to myself, "I really don't want to root for a guy like that."

That says something about me and that is fine. I don't want to identify with guys like that.

The classiness of the Pats is a refuge from this climate for the most part. There are lots of players I like rooting for on that team.

How much longer will it last though?

2. Commander Shears

Commander Shears Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

That is absolutely terrible.

Shouldn't this nonsense be relegated to the political pigpen?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  3. BoTown

BoTown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Absolutely agreed.

4. The Gr8est

The Gr8est In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0

Did you guys read the article? It is very much related to the Patriots and the incident with the Chargers last week.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Sometimes the truth hurts. Basketball has crossed the line - thankfully football hasn't yet.

6. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Interesting perspective.

Jags spear Tommy, their coach brags about it in his loser's rant, and the NFL wimps out.

Titans go after the Pats with intent to harm. I'm glad Hochuli was there, it could have gotten really ugly otherwise.

Chargers talked the talk, and found they couldn't walk it, they got their noses rubbed in it by a very proud group of guys. I'm heart broken for their hurt feelings. We saw this from the Pats in 2004 when they mocked TO in the Superbowl after the build-up to the game made so much of his antics.

The Pats obviously believe in paybacks and so does Belichick, but the bill isn't paid until the end of the game.

I agree that gang culture is being glorified in too many places, I hate seeing what look like prison or gang tattoos, though I understand why guys playing such a tough game would be drawn to a symbol of toughness. I'd just prefer "my" Pats would see their rings as that symbol.

The build up for the AFCCG has just about every analyst on NFL Network picking Indy - the Pats are going to be very up for this game, Polian better be prepared with tranquilizers because it is going to be very physical. At least the Colts as a team are not a lot of trash talkers during the week, instead they toss each other under the bus after the game.

Going back to the dances and cultural issues, the NFL Network is as much a part of the problem as ESPN. With the NFL's investment in the network, it will be interesting to see if the League will make any stride in containing the showboat crap. It is interesting to remember, the rules restricting dancing came from player's complaints and not from the League office...it may just be the players policing themselves that saves the day, not the bean counters and boot lickers.

7. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,602 / 19 / -18

#75 Jersey

If he had a valid sports point you should have excerpted some of it.

8. unoriginal

unoriginal In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +290 / 5 / -1

The valid sports opinion is that he has choosen the Colts and the Saints as his Super Bowl picks.

9. Seymour93

Seymour93 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Fatbaugh picks the Colts? He must have been under the influence.

10. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,602 / 19 / -18

#75 Jersey

Started to read some of the propaganda.

Did you know McNabb isn't really an NFL quarterback?

He's only there to further Nancy Pelosi's agenda. LOL!!!

If you really wanted to see some gang behavior check out the NBA in the 1950's.

In the 1958 NBA Finals Red got into a fist fight with St. Louis Coach Ben Kerner. In 1961 Red was served a summons in Syracuse for punching three fans who invaded the Celtics huddle. In the 1983 NBA Finals, a 66-year old Red ran from twelve rows deep in the Boston Garden stands to come within inches of throwing a punch at Houston center Moses Malone after a brawl between the two teams. Red fought for his place in history through his actions as much as his upbringing and it was this toughness that helped secure his place in history and his success as a coach and front office executive.

http://www.writeonsports.com/articles/85/

I guess it's not just the Crips and Bloods.

Seems there was more violent behavior in Basketball in the 1950's.

What was there less of?........ Hmmmmm.

What is Rush trying to say here? ..... N........s???????

11. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

You went over the line there Ray. Rush has a valid sports culture argument. You can try and refute it without resorting to racial crap stirring.

12. unoriginal

unoriginal In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +290 / 5 / -1

How is Ray more guilty of racial crap stirring than the original article?

Pro sports players and personalities have been flying off the handle since pro sports were nothing more than a collection of toughs who couldn't hold regular jobs.

13. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,602 / 19 / -18

#75 Jersey

"Let me tell you, the Chargers would not have lost that game were it not for a bunch of -- I gotta be very careful here."

My oh my, Box. What does he have to be careful about?

were it not for a bunch of ...........what word fits there?

Hmmmmm. Rush is playing fill in the blank.

You want me to say the word?

I listen to him on the radio often. I know what the word is. Why shouldn't I say it? He almost did.

14. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,602 / 19 / -18

#75 Jersey

Chargers player gets in the face of a Patriots player, head butts him and starts jawing.
    This is the reason these guys are getting shot in bars, folks, late at night

I'm confused, who are "these guys"? Does he mean football players? Or n......

ooops, got to be careful here like Rush.

Late at night? The game was in the afternoon, wasn't it?

I'm really confused now. Maybe if I continue going over this line by line I'll figure out what he's trying to say.

15. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,602 / 19 / -18

#75 Jersey

I can use direct quotes I guess........

16. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You got that right. And it shows up now on the international circuit when teams from Argentina, Spain, and Greece have put the school-yard NBAers, with their $100 million contracts, into the toilet. Even (gasp) Lithuania almost beat the U.S. in the 2000 Olympics; one 3-pointer would have done it.

17. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,602 / 19 / -18

#75 Jersey

I don't like the decline in basketball myself, but why do we need to introduce a political propagandist at a sports site?

It was so easy for me to find quotes where he's implying something besides sports, one where he stops just short of saying the word so the reader can fill in the blank.

18. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

In context, you have chosen to see this as a prelude to making a racist remark, well, Rush would have to be careful if he was going to say such a thing. He would also have to be careful if he intended to refer to Florence and Olivea with their unnecessary roughness penalties as "assclowns," which they are. I'm retired, I no longer take an interest in gangs and gang trends, but the "disrespect" mindset is not unknown to me and is a part of every gang I looked at, regardless of race or gender.

I guess I don't read racial remarks into things until someone makes it more blatant, that is why I believe your post crossed the line, it was blatant. I don't care to visit the political forum, but I don't see the problem with discussing the "class" issue as it applies to football. Tomlinson made it pertinent to football and the Patriots. Radical leftist or not, Rush made statements on sports culture that directly relate to "my" New England Patriots and are worth discussing. Our dislike of the author doesn't preclude us from discussing Ron Borges' articles, this is no different and I feel this is one of those times where "lighten up Francis" applies. :cool:

19. cubedoggy

cubedoggy On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I, for one, prefer to refrain from discussing anything Borges.

20. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

But you sir are enlightened.