PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Tidbits from Tomase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodie

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been posted. A few interesting observations from Tomase. Not trying to start the Tomase-slam again but I'd like to know what others think of his BB observations. It also goes to our disscussion about whether BB is arrogant.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?p=11

No two coaches appeared more inseparable than Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel, which should come as little surprise since the former succeeded the latter as Patriots defensive coordinator. Neither appeared to have much if any public interaction with Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, but in fairness, their paths didn’t cross much in the lobby.
Speaking of Belichick, it’s interesting to note how he carries himself among his coaching brethren. Widely regarded as the brightest mind in the game — “He’s the best there is at what we do,†Steelers coach Bill Cowher gushes — despite a reputation for being arrogant and aloof, Belichick doesn’t strut around like he reinvented the sport. The best word to describe him would be unassuming. Wearing jeans and slinging a courier bag over his shoulder, he looks more like a college professor than an NFL coach. He’s also noticeably smaller than most of his compatriots, which is striking considering the towering shadow he casts over New England. Sitting between Cowher, who must go about 6-4, and the 300-plus-pound Crennel at the annual coaches’ photo, Belichick practically disappeared. It wasn’t a bad metaphor for his lobby presence either, which seemed not so much elitist as shy and unpretentious. Unlike Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden, who wears a permanent smirk, Belichick tends to walk with his head down, stopping to greet writers and football people he knows and avoiding eye contact with those he doesn’t. And for whatever it’s worth, he seems pretty close to Cowher.

That is interesting and what I would expect. For all the talk recently about his ego and even whether his is depressed, he is just a good person who happens to be shy while having a public spotlight job. He's not an arrogant S.O.B., he just enjoys the challenge of beating the rest of the best in his profession.

Hoodie said:
Forgive me if this has already been posted. A few interesting observations from Tomase. Not trying to start the Tomase-slam again but I'd like to know what others think of his BB observations. It also goes to our disscussion about whether BB is arrogant.

Nice Post Hoodie...gets right to the point...it's about the football.

BelichickFan said:
That is interesting and what I would expect. For all the talk recently about his ego and even whether his is depressed, he is just a good person who happens to be shy while having a public spotlight job. He's not an arrogant S.O.B., he just enjoys the challenge of beating the rest of the best in his profession.

Good thoughts. BB has impressed me as a real student of his craft, one who's never stopped learning, never afraid to ask advice(Jimmy Johnson etc) or learn outside the box. Thus he probably gets just a wee bit "annoyed" at the overall media hacks that never do their homework, ask stupid questions and just look for the sexy, easy sound bite. With the exception of Reise, Curran and Holley, I don't think the Boston media deserve much more than the PR desert that the FO has gifted them with.

Hoodie - not sure why you refer to what you are posting as a possible Tomase-slam. Maybe I just don't get it which wouldn't be any surprise.

But my take on the article, and maybe that's what you were looking for, is that Tomase gives us a pretty interesting commentary on BB's demeanor at the meeting. And it seems to me to be very complimentary of Belichick. I, for one, was glad to get a little view into how he was comporting himself at the meeting and who he was talking to. I found it very interesting. JMHO.

PatsChick87 said:
Good thoughts. BB has impressed me as a real student of his craft, one who's never stopped learning, never afraid to ask advice(Jimmy Johnson etc) or learn outside the box.
That's also why I think he legitimitely doesn't like being called a genius. That implies that he's just automatically better. He knows that his success is from a lifetime of hard work and being called a genius diminishes all the work he's put in.

I think that he must be depressed.:rofl:

F.B.N. said:
[/color]

Nice Post Hoodie...gets right to the point...it's about the football.

Do I detect sarcasm?

Hoodie said:

No two coaches appeared more inseparable than Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel, which should come as little surprise since the former succeeded the latter as Patriots defensive coordinator. Neither appeared to have much if any public interaction with Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, but in fairness, their paths didn’t cross much in the lobby.
Speaking of Belichick, it’s interesting to note how he carries himself among his coaching brethren. Widely regarded as the brightest mind in the game — “He’s the best there is at what we do,†Steelers coach Bill Cowher gushes — despite a reputation for being arrogant and aloof, Belichick doesn’t strut around like he reinvented the sport. The best word to describe him would be unassuming. Wearing jeans and slinging a courier bag over his shoulder, he looks more like a college professor than an NFL coach. He’s also noticeably smaller than most of his compatriots, which is striking considering the towering shadow he casts over New England. Sitting between Cowher, who must go about 6-4, and the 300-plus-pound Crennel at the annual coaches’ photo, Belichick practically disappeared. It wasn’t a bad metaphor for his lobby presence either, which seemed not so much elitist as shy and unpretentious. Unlike Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden, who wears a permanent smirk, Belichick tends to walk with his head down, stopping to greet writers and football people he knows and avoiding eye contact with those he doesn’t. And for whatever it’s worth, he seems pretty close to Cowher.

*blink* *rubs his eyes* WOW. Maybe there is hope for Tomase after all. His next few blogs will interesting to see if he follows up with good reporting and not just dumb arse garbage.

arrellbee said:
Hoodie - not sure why you refer to what you are posting as a possible Tomase-slam. Maybe I just don't get it which wouldn't be any surprise.

But my take on the article, and maybe that's what you were looking for, is that Tomase gives us a pretty interesting commentary on BB's demeanor at the meeting. And it seems to me to be very complimentary of Belichick. I, for one, was glad to get a little view into how he was comporting himself at the meeting and who he was talking to. I found it very interesting. JMHO.

I was referring to the Thread on Tomase's blog where people criticized his looks etc.. I didn't want to start that up again.

Compliments to Tomase: nice stories!

if these maroons want to think 'arrogant coach', all they have to do is plug in any Mike Martz footage they can find...

PatsChick87 said:
Good thoughts. BB has impressed me as a real student of his craft, one who's never stopped learning, never afraid to ask advice(Jimmy Johnson etc) or learn outside the box. Thus he probably gets just a wee bit "annoyed" at the overall media hacks that never do their homework, ask stupid questions and just look for the sexy, easy sound bite. With the exception of Reise, Curran and Holley, I don't think the Boston media deserve much more than the PR desert that the FO has gifted them with.
Sadly, you have to, not much football knowledge in here to work with. :(

I did find that interesting..BB depressed?? He is a complex guy...that is for sure..a LOT of what he shows the press is a persona..I think we all know that..

Hoodie said:
I was referring to the Thread on Tomase's blog where people criticized his looks etc.. I didn't want to start that up again.

No - let's not do that... but just to set the record straight, is he Penn or Teller? I get confused which one is which sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes