PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting take on Brandon Spikes...

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
For those who lament this loss to this team, it looks pretty much like he is assuming the same role for the Bills... glad we did not overpay him....

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

Two years ago, then-Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes stayed away from voluntary team activities in hopes of doing away-from-the-team work that proved he could become a three-down linebacker. At least that's the way it was framed by some close to Spikes. It didn't unfold that way in New England and it looks like the Bills view Spikes the same way after he played just 15 of 79 defensive snaps last Sunday. Spikes is what he is: A downhill, two-down, run-stuffing linebacker who plays with infectious energy and still has value to a team; just not three-down value because of his struggles in coverage.

He's a high energy two down OVERPAID player.

There, I fixed it for you. :D

I feel like the term "two down linebacker" is in desperate need for change. It feels like a relic from a time when teams ran more than they passed. It should be called "short down linebacker" or something like that. 2 down linebacker makes it sound like 2 out of 3 defensive downs are mainly running downs, when that isn't true in todays league where we pass more than run.

I'm sure plenty will disagree with me but, (and not a slight to Mayo) but if you gave Spikes Mayo's speed he'd be a hall of famer. Shame he's slow as molasses.

If Skinner have some of Spikes's speed, he actually useful....somewhat.:D

There are many who lamented the loss of Brandon and wish he were back, but when you look at the numbers they are interesting.. at best he is a part time, situational player. $3.25 million dollar one year contract?? Seems high..

Mike Reiss...

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/index/_/count/31/insiderInit/false
LB Brandon Spikes (Bills) -- Played 26 of 58 defensive snaps in a "home" win over the Jets in Detroit, finishing with two tackles. He has played 369 of 753 defensive snaps this season.

Tweet from Tom E.

I feel like the term "two down linebacker" is in desperate need for change. It feels like a relic from a time when teams ran more than they passed. It should be called "short down linebacker" or something like that. 2 down linebacker makes it sound like 2 out of 3 defensive downs are mainly running downs, when that isn't true in todays league where we pass more than run.

How about calling him a one down linebacker?

glad he's made some money
gladder it's not with us
Best wishes Brandon!

Completely anecdotal, but back around the start of free agency, I started an "Evil Bill Belichick" twitter account to capitalize on/revive an "Evil BB" type blog I did back in 2007 (without realizing there was already a similar twitter account). Anyway, some chick started following me and exhorted me to check out some of her pics of Brandon Spikes...her twitter feed was full of stories and these pics...

Let's just say I didn't need to see those...:eek:

I liked Spikes as an ILB in the 3-4. You can play one closer to the LOS and the other a yard behind for better pass coverage. Harder to isolate him force him into coverage. He's just not fast enough to play the Mike in a 4-3.

The Bills have a floor to spend money. They MUST spend money. Given that, Spikes isn't a bad way to spend money. On a team like the Patriots where they may be a cap crunch, Spikes doesn't make sense. In Buffalo, where they desperately need players, you can afford to pay Spikes $1m more than the kicker.

He is sssoooooooo sssssssllllllloooooowwwwww!

Thanks buffalo.

He'd honestly fit much better in a 3-4 system, I think Green Bay shouldve given him a look this offseason. He'd fit great in Capers 3-4, and he would've given them a good shot in the arm for their run defense.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back