Welcome to PatsFans.com

Interesting story from the NY Times

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BrianPat, Mar 12, 2007.

1. BrianPat

BrianPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

2. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

3. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Did we get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? The story was only one click away. Also, maybe BrianPat was pressed for time. :D
  4. PromisedLand

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

No, we didn't get up on the wrong side of bed this morning! :) I was not coming from a cranky place, I was just trying to give some helpful advice to a new poster and at the same time make this a better board.

Man, you have to be careful the way you word things around here! :D
  5. WestPat

WestPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thank you for the article .
    I loved the following quote from Belichick

I wish the mediots*coughFelgerWEEIBorgescough* will understand this, the Pats deal with each year according to the circumstances happening, they do have a philosophy, and that's not to be rigid with their philosophy.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  6. ironwasp

ironwasp Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I think all in all this is a pretty fair-minded report. Whichever spin the team puts on it, the frenetic activity at the beginning of FA has been uncharacteristic of the way the Patriots have approached it in recent years, and is therefore worthy of analysis.

Judy Battista seems to "get" most of the points - there's a ton more money around under the new CBA, the Pats are significantly under the cap and therefore in a position to compete strongly, two of our signings (Morris and Brady) are direct replacements for more expensive incumbents; it's really only the Thomas deal that is somewhat out of character.

From my point of view, I subscribe, at least partly, to the theory that they were stung hugely by the second half collapse against the Colts and determined to build the team up to mitigate against the chance of a recurrrence. But they are always determined to put the best possible team on the field and constrcut the best possible roster.

It is the change in circumstances and the availability of the type of talent that Thomas represents that has produced a change in tactics.

The STRATEGY is the same - build the team up in the best way possible using all resources, draft, trade and FA - it is merely the TACTICS that are different this year.

There's that famous quote from BB or SP or whoever about being the best at no 1 on the roster, the best at 25 and the best at 53. That means they understand full well that occasionally you have to pony up at the top end as well as finding a Reche Caldwell or a Ray Mickens or whoever.

So this year is no different. They've looked after a top 10 spot with Thomas (top three spot probably) and possibly Stallworth, top 25 spots with Kyle Brady, Sammy Morris and Wes Welker. The 30s, 40s and 50s are already pretty well sorted.
  7. jeffd

jeffd Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yet another lazy reporter.

For those who know the Pats or do some research it obvious that NOTHING has changed. The Pats never were cheap, the were financially responsible and level headed. BB always went after the guy he wanted, he gets called cheap because he won't overpay for the next best thing if he can't get what he wants.
    He wanted Colvin, he paid him. He wanted Mason, he offered more than any other team. He wanted Graham and Warren so he moved up to get them. This year there are simply more guys that he wants who are available. And don't forget the competitive (admittedly not bank breaking but competitive) offers to keep Branch, Adam V and Law.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  8. kerofaye

kerofaye Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The most important phrase from that article in NY Times:

Take advantage of the "inefficiency in the NFL salary cap system"

Kraft believe he is paying 80 cents for the dollar in the Thomas deal !!
  9. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +807 / 4 / -5

#75 Jersey

The "disgruntled" Corey Dillon?????????

What's that about, Judy?
  10. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +95 / 3 / -1

just figuring that out?
  11. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +95 / 3 / -1

thanks for the post. welcome to the board. i get The Times but was in a rush this morning and missed the article.
  12. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +234 / 22 / -10

"Everyone" says that Beleichick won't do this or that. He won't draft a Guard. He won't spend on big time FAs. This year he wil break the last thing that "Everyone" says: "...He won't draft a LB high" .

That ends this year too!
  13. PromisedLand

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Now you hurt my feelings... :( can you please reword that? :D