Interesting stats on NFL.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
There has been a whole lot of whining about our lack of pass rush, and how vanilla our D has been.. this AM we are #6 in D for the whole league.. top 20% is very good, considering the number of rookies we are playing and the caliber of talent we have seen...

Our O is rated #4, with a +8 turnover rating..

Overall not too bad, a reason for optimism..

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...OTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Last edited:
There has been a whole lot of whining about our lack of pass rush, and how vanilla our D has been.. this AM we are #6 in D for the whole league.. top 20% is very good, considering the number of rookies we are playing and the caliber of talent we have seen...

NFL Stats: by Team Category

We are 3rd in points allowed, as well.

NFL Stats: by Team Category

i know the D is not as bad as every one says it is but im not sure it's as good as the stats say

befor sundays stat game the D was like 13th in points 11th in yerd's

and the O was only geting like 19 points a game so sunday had a lot to do with the stats

While its a good sign, total yards (which is what the NFL ratings are based on) is a number thats as much decided by field position (special teams) and offense, and game situation as it by defense.

I'm sure the -7yards of passing offense the Titans had is a big part of it to.

I think they look much better than last year, and they might be a top defense by the end of the year, but I don't think they're there yet.

While its a good sign, total yards (which is what the NFL ratings are based on) is a number thats as much decided by field position (special teams) and offense, and game situation as it by defense.

I think they look much better than last year, and they might be a top defense by the end of the year, but I don't think they're there yet.

My point is that things are much better than advertised... last week was beneficial, but considering the number of rookies and how "vanilla" we are claimed to be it ain't all that grim...

My point is that things are much better than advertised... last week was beneficial, but considering the number of rookies and how "vanilla" we are claimed to be it ain't all that grim...

Oh, clearly, but the problem with looking at the NFL's stats is that there's no adjustment for team quality. 300 yards against the Titans is the same as 300 yards against the Steelers.

Oh, clearly, but the problem with looking at the NFL's stats is that there's no adjustment for team quality. 300 yards against the Titans is the same as 300 yards against the Steelers.

yea, there is no differentiation.. cannot find the DVOA link right now, do they still exist???

yea, there is no differentiation.. cannot find the DVOA link right now, do they still exist???

Footballoutsiders.com

I'm curious to see what this week does to the Pats numbers. The titans game certainly helps, as does Denver winning, but the Jets offense falling apart isn't going to help...although them doing it against buffalo might.

Footballoutsiders.com

I'm curious to see what this week does to the Pats numbers. The titans game certainly helps, as does Denver winning, but the Jets offense falling apart isn't going to help...although them doing it against buffalo might.

They are only up to week #5, at that time we were #9 in total efficiency...

Our D wouldn't look so good in stats if our offense played like it did against the Titans all year. We have been playing close games and thus the defense plays tight all game.

A D gives up a ton of yards when the O puts up a ton of points. All throws across the middle at the end of the game.

No, the Pats Defense has been hovering in the top ten all season.

Other significant items for the Defense is that it has forced more fumbles and fumble recoveries than any team in the league. That speaks well for the M&M hammers, McGowan and Meriwether...

Have you looked at who the leaders have played...

No, the Pats Defense has been hovering in the top ten all season.

No, they haven't. In the NFL stats, they have, but if you've read this thread, theres been a whole lot of explanations why the NFL stats are useless. (more yards in blowouts, no strength of opponents, no adjustments for game situation, etc). Total Yards is a useless and misleading stat.

Football Outsiders has them as pretty much dead middle of the league via DVOA. I think thats a lot more accurate.

The top 5 defenses, after week 5, according to DVOA are PHI ,NO,NYG,DEN and BAL. NYG may drop out of that after getting violated by NYG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots