SamBam39

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I consider the 'iron' of the afc to be:
patriots
steelers
colts
broncos

these are the teams that have been really strong, year after year the past several years, and are trditionally the teams to beat. this doesn't pretend to say it has always been this way, to ignore the past accomplishments of teams like oakland and miami.

it also isn't a slight to the up and coming teams in the afc like:
bengals
ravens
jaguars
chargers

(I think herm edwards will have the chiefs destroyed in short order)

so, keeping in mind the 4 teams that make up the 'iron' of the afc,
pats, steelers, colts, broncos,
let's take a look at the last 9 superbowl champs - which encapsulates a run of recent afc dominance:
1997-Broncos*
1998-Broncos*
1999-Rams
2000-Ravens
2001-Patriots*
2002-Buccaneers
2003-Patriots*
2004-Patriots*
2005-Steelers*
not only has the afc won 7 of the last 9 superbowls, but the 4 teams that make up the afc 'iron' has won 6 of the last 9 superbowls.
only the hapless colts haven't won one.
the steelers look like they may have a tough go this year, but I'd say the Patriots, Colts, and Broncos are top contenders to add another title to this little comparison.
as good as the bears and seahawks are, I still think they can be beaten.
in the afc, while the bengals, ravens, and chargers are good, look for the 'iron' to emerge before it's all said and done.
again.

The Colts have a tough stretch coming up where they play teams that like to pound the ball at them. The Colts run defense has been horrible this year. With teams controlling the ball with the run, Manning wont be able to get on the field and throw the ball around.

And I think Pittsburgh is done. Rothlesberger's brain must have been scrambled in that accident. He has thrown 7 interceptions, with 0 td's. He is just plain horrible.

Willie55 said:
The Colts have a tough stretch coming up where they play teams that like to pound the ball at them. The Colts run defense has been horrible this year. With teams controlling the ball with the run, Manning wont be able to get on the field and throw the ball around.

And I think Pittsburgh is done. Rothlesberger's brain must have been scrambled in that accident. He has thrown 7 interceptions, with 0 td's. He is just plain horrible.

yeah - Like I said, looks like the steelers are in for a tough year. maybe they'll boune back, but they better get bouncing!

the colts are the one team from the 'iron' that hasn't won it all yet, and that's the way I prefer it. realistically, it wouldn't shock any of us if they finally won one sometime.

my point was only that, what ever else you think about who's the best, keep your eye on the four afc 'iron' teams, because the numbers show that there's a better than average chance your champion will come from that group.

Not only what you said, but a lot of the recent AFC championship game losers have come from your core of 4 -- Pitt twice to the Pats, Indy once to the Pats, Denver once to Pitt, and I've forgotten who the Raiders or Ravens beat.

The Broncos should have an asterisk alright. Pointing to their subversion of the salary cap to get those championships.

I would switch the Chargers and Steelers in those groups....

Willie55 said:

Some of the iron is looking rusty or a little pock marked this year though.

Indy's been in their cupcake phase thus far and struggling again - even moreso than last year when their D carried their O at the outset. Weakest undefeated in the league and they know it. They are also in their bye but have yet to face Washington with Portis back and Brunnell starting to click,@ Denver, @ NE, @Dallas, Philly, @ JAX and Cincy. 7 tough games in their remaining 11. Even undefeated through week 6 they look like a stretch at 12-4 or 11-5. JAX could edge Indy out if they take their home game, take care of business or at least split against Buffalo and Miami on the road and split what should be tough games with Philly, the Giants, @KC and @ NE.

Denver still has SD, KC, SEA and Cincy but if they merely split those they get to 13-3 easily.

Pittsburgh really appears to be done. Already had their bye and Ben came out of it looking even worse than he did going in. Still have Atlanta, Denver, Carolina, NO, Cincy and Baltimore x 2. If they split those, and I doubt they will, they are at 10-6 or 9-7.

Baltimore will only go as far as McNair can hold up. He really fell apart late last night against Denver with 2 drive killing picks as gunslingers will. They will likely be battling SD and JAX for the AFC WC but they still have to face Carolina, @ NO, Cincy x 2, Atlanta and KC (plus Pittsburgh twice after they may get Ben more on track). I see 4-5 more losses in their future whether against powerful offenses or competent defenses.

Cincy has 8 tough games in their 12 remaining like Carolina, ATL, Baltimore x 2, SD, @NO, @ Indy and Denver, and Henry still facing league suspension time. If they split those and win the rest they are 11-5, lucky Ben is in a funk and battling Baltimore for that division.

SD looks good this week but they were talking about firing Marty last week. They still have to face Denver and KC x 2, plus Seattle and Cincy and with Denver winning the division they can only really hope for the WC even if they go 13-3. Either way Marty will still Martyball them out of the playoffs or into a one and done WC road exit because that is what he does.

Barring monumental screwups or devastating injuries, playoff teams should be Denver and NE with the bye and battling for HFA, Indy/JAX and Cincy/Baltimore without the bye and SD, Indy/JAX, Baltimore/Cincy slugging it out for the WC's.

Broncos haven't been up to the level of the Pats, Colts, and Steelers these last 5 years and don't really belong in the same discussion. That said, NE and Indy belong nowhere near being discussed with the late 90s Broncos, who cheated btw.

MoLewisrocks said:
Denver still has SD, KC, SEA and Cincy but if they merely split those they get to 13-3 easily.

The thing about Denver is that Plummer can cough up a game against anyone. There are no sure things with Jake "the mistake" at the helm. You also forgot Indy and Pitt (4 weeks might be enough time for them to straighten themselves out). And correct me if I'm wrong here but hasn't Denver been unscathed by the injury bug so far?

TomBrady'sGoat said:
Broncos haven't been up to the level of the Pats, Colts, and Steelers these last 5 years and don't really belong in the same discussion. That said, NE and Indy belong nowhere near being discussed with the late 90s Broncos, who cheated btw.

they beat the pats during the regular season last year.

they beat the pats during the playoffs last year.

they beat the pats during the regular season this year.

they won the division last year.

hello?
they are the perennial team to be from the afc west.

Krugman said:
I would switch the Chargers and Steelers in those groups....

you don't get it,
yes, the chargers look good this year and seem to becoming stronger with shawn merriman and phillip rivers,
however,
this is bsed on year after year being considered one of the best.

the steelers won the super bowl last year - their 5th.
the chargers are hardly of that caliber. they have never won the super bowl.
they could BECOME the iron over the next few years - but that remains to be seen.

SamBam39 said:
they beat the pats during the regular season last year.

they beat the pats during the playoffs last year.

they beat the pats during the regular season this year.

they won the division last year.

hello?
they are the perennial team to be from the afc west.

I didn't realize the title of this thread was "Did denver own the Pats last year?" Congrats, you win the thread.

Wanna check Denver's playoff success the last 5 years?

AFC Divisional Playoff: won 27 - 13 vs. New England Patriots
AFC Championship Game: lost 17 - 34 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC Wildcard Game: lost 24 - 49 at Indianapolis Colts

AFC Wildcard Game: lost 10 - 41 at Indianapolis Colts

AFC Wildcard Game: lost 3 - 21 at Baltimore Ravens

Looks like a 1-4 playoff record compared to the Patriots's 10-1 record and 3 titles.

Eh, I've changed my statement. Neither Indy nor Denver belong in the conversation with the Pats and Steelers when it comes to the last 5 years. Indy and Denver both make the playoffs but bow out early.

TomBrady'sGoat said:
I didn't realize the title of this thread was "Did denver own the Pats last year?" Congrats, you win the thread.

Wanna check Denver's playoff success the last 5 years?

AFC Divisional Playoff: won 27 - 13 vs. New England Patriots
AFC Championship Game: lost 17 - 34 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC Wildcard Game: lost 24 - 49 at Indianapolis Colts

AFC Wildcard Game: lost 10 - 41 at Indianapolis Colts

AFC Wildcard Game: lost 3 - 21 at Baltimore Ravens

Looks like a 1-4 playoff record compared to the Patriots's 10-1 record and 3 titles.

Eh, I've changed my statement. Neither Indy nor Denver belong in the conversation with the Pats and Steelers when it comes to the last 5 years. Indy and Denver both make the playoffs but bow out early.

not the point.
denver is a strong team, making the playoof most years. very difficult to beat, especially in their own building. won back to back superbowls in the past 9 years.
the idea is, look at each division in the afc, and name the team that is the perrenial teamk to beat from that division in the past decade or so.
you wouldn't put the chiefs, chargers, or raiders ahead of the broncos,
so it's the broncos.
get it now?
good.
it's not a super difficult concept.

SamBam39 said:
not the point.
denver is a strong team, making the playoof most years. very difficult to beat, especially in their own building. won back to back superbowls in the past 9 years.
the idea is, look at each division in the afc, and name the team that is the perrenial teamk to beat from that division in the past decade or so.
you wouldn't put the chiefs, chargers, or raiders ahead of the broncos,
so it's the broncos.
get it now?
good.
it's not a super difficult concept.

Actually, I'll be interested to see how the Chargers fare against Denver with Marty allowing Rivers to throw late in the game -- as they did against Pittsburgh. They looked horrible in the first half, but certainly came around in the second.

rusH1023 said:
Actually, I'll be interested to see how the Chargers fare against Denver with Marty allowing Rivers to throw late in the game -- as they did against Pittsburgh. They looked horrible in the first half, but certainly came around in the second.

Yeah, Like I said, the Chargers are definately a team that looks like they're ready to arrive. perhaps after 2-3 years of proven success, they'll become part of the 'iron'. Right now, like the Bengals, they need to garner some accomplsihemnts over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes