PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Stat on Woodhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodhead is not Kevin Faulk in terms of blitz pick up. Faulks legs are much bigger than Woodhead and he is much more stockier. If you compared the 2 in the weight room Faulk would destroy him.

Woodhead is hardly out there to pick up the blitz, when he is out there he is coming out of the backfield to make a catch, or is lined up as a WR. You can have the best form in the world, but when you weigh almost 150 pounds less than the guy you are blocking the LB can just throw him aside. Woodheads job is not to pick up the blitz, he is hardly out there when the RBs job is blitz pick up.

Dont try and turn Woodhead into something he is not. He is a great player for the Pats right now, and knows his role

Football games aren't played in weight rooms.

What are the specific instances where Woodhead has been "Picked up and thrown aside". That would be some epic highlight material so it's bound to be available somewhere.

What are the specific instances where Woodhead's blocking has cost this team games?

Also, how many times has Brady been sacked in the last 4 or 5 games? Surely if he is so deficient in this area he would be getting laid out a lot since Woodhead is on the field a lot.

Nobody is attempting to make him into something he's not. Rather people are excited about a player who has clearly made a difference to this team. He may be the waiver wire pick up of the year.

And Frankly, in a lot of ways he shows better instincts as a runner than Faulk ever did but I'm not ready to make a call on that yet but it's close.

I remember a play last week that a Steeler LB just threw Woodhead aside. Just because Brady isnt getting crushed, doesnt mean that Woodhead is a great blocker, it means that Brady knows how to get they ball out fast
I call bull**** on this post. I'd like a detailed analysis and graphical evidence of said plays. What I've seen is a smaller guy leverage himself against bigger opponents and do an admirable job in blocking protection.

He has looked more than capable on his pickups so far to me. Just because he's smallish it's easy to assume he'll have trouble. Problem is, the actual game film paints a different picture.

He has looked more than capable on his pickups so far to me. Just because he's smallish it's easy to assume he'll have trouble. Problem is, the actual game film paints a different picture.

EXACTLY!

10 Characters

Size cannot be coached up. He is simply to small to take on some of the LBs/safeties in the NFL. He is a liability in blitz pick up, it isnt really a knock on him, he is just too small for that

Wow. Im sure coming from a Division II school and being small (by NFL standards) Woodhead has heard BS like this from guys like you his entire life.

Yet he has been the NCAA Division II Player of the Year twice. Yet he is on the 45 man active roster for the New England Patriots every week. Yet he is making a solid contribution to this team.

Im not trying to make this kid out to be someone hes not but Im not trying to tell him what he cant be either while sitting at home on my computer.

Wow. Im sure coming from a Division II school and being small (by NFL standards) Woodhead has heard BS like this from guys like you his entire life.

Yet he has been the NCAA Division II Player of the Year twice. Yet he is on the 45 man active roster for the New England Patriots every week. Yet he is making a solid contribution to this team.

Im not trying to make this kid out to be someone hes not but Im not trying to tell him what he cant be either while sitting at home on my computer.

What he said......^^^^^

Woodhead isnt even close to Kevin Faulks size. Dont list me their heights and weights, just put the 2 side by side, a huge gap. Woodhead has openly admitted he isnt 5'8" and there is no chance in hell he is 195, probably closer to 180.

I am not knocking Woodhead, I am just saying that he is too small to be an effective player in blitz pick up

Wow, you're pretty hung up on height. Woodhead is easily 195. Look at his legs. Your type of thinking is why the Jets cut Woodhead. I'm glad BB doesn't subscribe to that school of thought.

Woodhead IS and says he is 5' 7"; Faulk is 5'8" and somewhat heavier. I know because I've stood right next to him. That said I watched Woody on blitz pickups the last couple weeks and he made all his blocks that I saw, including some against NFL star players. Yup he's undersized and WILL get run over once in a while but even good LTs get beat now and then. Kid's a player.

Wow, you're pretty hung up on height. Woodhead is easily 195. Look at his legs. Your type of thinking is why the Jets cut Woodhead. I'm glad BB doesn't subscribe to that school of thought.

Seriously. Danny Woodhead has done nothing but significantly help this team.

The only thing that I am concerned about is why they aren't yet selling his jersey.

Woodhead is a very solid 3rd down back/back out of the back field. The one thing that Faulk has the clear advantage on him is in blitz pick up. Woodhead is strictly a change up back, and a very good one. Lets not try and make him into something he is not

Don't watch the games much, do you?

Woodhead, while not as good as Faulk on Blitz pick-ups, is still well above average. In fact, I consider Faulk to be excellent. Woodhead is very good.

Both Faulk and Woodhead are change of pace backs.. And the OP wasn't saying otherwise.

But, I will say this. Woodhead has been exceptional as a replacement for Faulk.

Size cannot be coached up. He is simply to small to take on some of the LBs/safeties in the NFL. He is a liability in blitz pick up, it isnt really a knock on him, he is just too small for that

BS. This is just proof you don't actually watch the games

Woodhead isnt even close to Kevin Faulks size. Dont list me their heights and weights, just put the 2 side by side, a huge gap. Woodhead has openly admitted he isnt 5'8" and there is no chance in hell he is 195, probably closer to 180.

I am not knocking Woodhead, I am just saying that he is too small to be an effective player in blitz pick up

Woodhead is 5'7 and 5/8" tall,, That is what he was measured at during his Pro-Day. That is the same height that Faulk was at his Combine.

You claiming he's only 180 is just idiocy. Woodhead came in at 197 at his Pro-Day.

Yes, you are knocking Woodhead. You are talking out your arse on stuff you clearly are ignorant on.

Last edited:
Woodhead is not Kevin Faulk in terms of blitz pick up. Faulks legs are much bigger than Woodhead and he is much more stockier. If you compared the 2 in the weight room Faulk would destroy him.

Woodhead is hardly out there to pick up the blitz, when he is out there he is coming out of the backfield to make a catch, or is lined up as a WR. You can have the best form in the world, but when you weigh almost 150 pounds less than the guy you are blocking the LB can just throw him aside. Woodheads job is not to pick up the blitz, he is hardly out there when the RBs job is blitz pick up.

Dont try and turn Woodhead into something he is not. He is a great player for the Pats right now, and knows his role

You need to actually watch the games because you are only showing that you don't. Woodhead has been out there plenty of times to pick-up the blitz. More than Morris and more than BJGE.

Seriously, the facts just don't support your blathering.

You're wrong about the heights of Woodhead to Faulk. You're wrong about Woodhead's weight. You're wrong about how effective Woodhead has been on blitz pick-ups.

Why are you even posting on this topic when you clearly are so misinformed?

Woodhead came in at 197 at his Pro-Day.

Thanks, I was just about to post that. The supposed big size advantage for Faulk is a myth. I take it as a compliment to Faulk that people seem to assume he must be bigger than he is based on how well he picks up the blitz -- we all know he's one of the best. But that's based on long-honed skill, not size.

Here are the facts, based on the ONLY reliable size measurements you ever get on a football player, the pre-draft weigh-ins:

Kevin Faulk: 5'7.5"
Danny Woodhead: 5'7.5"

Exactly, precisely the same height. Faulk was 8 pounds heavier, while Woodhead showed much better straight-line speed.

To my (admittedly non-expert) eyes, Woodhead has looked pretty darned good on blitz pickup for a young player who was dropped into the roster in the middle of the season. Give him an actual training camp and he'll doubtless look even better.

You need to actually watch the games because you are only showing that you don't. Woodhead has been out there plenty of times to pick-up the blitz. More than Morris and more than BJGE.

You're wrong about the heights of Woodhead to Faulk. You're wrong about Woodhead's weight. You're wrong about how effective Woodhead has been on blitz pick-ups.

Why do you feel the need to comment on 4 different posts, essentially saying the same thing and getting personal?

Look at the two side by side. Clearly Faulk, is a lot bigger and stockier than Woodhead. Probably has him by an inch in height wise, but the weight/body size difference is as clear as day. Of course what is done in the weight room matters. Have you ever played football? You could be 350 pounds and not be strong at all, and get thrown around by guys who do put work in and are stronger than you. Having strength does matter. The weight room is very important in the game of football. It gets you prepared for games. Woodhead is not as strong as Faulk is, which makes Faulk much more effective in picking up the blitz.

I dont have any access to the earlier games, but the play from the Steelers game that I am referring to Brady got the ball off, a pass to the right to Branch I believer, but Woodhead got thrown aside like a rag doll. Although it never effected Brady it was just something I saw. I am not saying Woodhead is terrible against picking up the blitz, I am saying that he is below average because of his size. Someone who will rewatch the game, look for Woodhead and the number of plays that hes out there how many times does he pick up the blitz? I think that part of the reason he doesnt do that as much is because the Pats have made the TE's a major part of their blocking game, something they didnt do in prior years, so the blitz pick up from running backs is not as much of an emphasis.

Woodhead has been a very good player for the Pats, he has definitely stepped in and been a replacement for Faulk. I am not saying that Woodhead is better than Faulk in all aspects of the game though, Woodhead can do some things better than Faulk as well.

Why do you feel the need to comment on 4 different posts, essentially saying the same thing and getting personal?

Look at the two side by side. Clearly Faulk, is a lot bigger and stockier than Woodhead. Probably has him by an inch in height wise, but the weight/body size difference is as clear as day. Of course what is done in the weight room matters. Have you ever played football? You could be 350 pounds and not be strong at all, and get thrown around by guys who do put work in and are stronger than you. Having strength does matter. The weight room is very important in the game of football. It gets you prepared for games. Woodhead is not as strong as Faulk is, which makes Faulk much more effective in picking up the blitz.

I dont have any access to the earlier games, but the play from the Steelers game that I am referring to Brady got the ball off, a pass to the right to Branch I believer, but Woodhead got thrown aside like a rag doll. Although it never effected Brady it was just something I saw. I am not saying Woodhead is terrible against picking up the blitz, I am saying that he is below average because of his size. Someone who will rewatch the game, look for Woodhead and the number of plays that hes out there how many times does he pick up the blitz? I think that part of the reason he doesnt do that as much is because the Pats have made the TE's a major part of their blocking game, something they didnt do in prior years, so the blitz pick up from running backs is not as much of an emphasis.

Woodhead has been a very good player for the Pats, he has definitely stepped in and been a replacement for Faulk. I am not saying that Woodhead is better than Faulk in all aspects of the game though, Woodhead can do some things better than Faulk as well.
Consensus is not a fact based exercise, but your the only one who sees Woodhead as a below average blocker.

Also did you see Light get smoked by Freeney on a spin move that got brady hit (I believe sacked)? Does that mean he is a below average pass blocker?

I don't think Woody has missed an assignment with blitz pickup. You don't have to stop the blitzer....just delay him so Tom can get rid of the ball and not get killed. Size is only relative as Woody executes well and gives us what Bill wants. I hope they sign this guy...Woody is a winner and we love winners :rocker:

Consensus is not a fact based exercise, but your the only one who sees Woodhead as a below average blocker.

Also did you see Light get smoked by Freeney on a spin move that got brady hit (I believe sacked)? Does that mean he is a below average pass blocker?

Yes, but that was one play. There isnt proof either way yet to comfirm or dismiss Woodheads blocking ability. Right now my eyes are seeing one thing and the rest of the boards eyes are seeing another.

For the record Light and Vollmer were getting a lot of help yesterday from the TEs, which IMO is a good call by the Pats offense and it worked out because Freeney was limited to only one sack and Mathis didnt have any. Last year Kazur and Vollmer got beaten a lot in the Colts game and the Pats made a nice adjustment this year.

Last edited:

I replied to the posts as they showed up in the thread. Maybe if you weren't spewing the same BS in each one, the responses wouldn't have been as similar.

There was nothing personal in there. Personal would be talking about your family. Which I didn't do. Nor did I call you names.

No, the weight/height difference between the two is not clear. You clearly don't know enough to be commenting on the subject. As I stated earlier. Not to mention that there is a difference in the Pads they wear.

You clearly don't understand body structure nearly as well as you think you do. You can take two people who look identical and throw them on the scales and there could be a 20 lb difference. Do you want to know WHY? It's called bone density. Everyone is different.

How do you know that Woodhead isn't as stong as Faulk? Cause of this perceived size difference? Or have you actually seen them work out? My guess is that you are talking out your rear end again.

So, because you can't be bothered to look up the particular play everyone on here should take you at your word?

Also, the Pats, when they've had good blocking TEs, have always used them as a major part of their blocking game. After Graham left, the Pats didn't have any good blocking TEs. So, this idea that the blitz pickup for the RB isn't as much of an issue for the RBs now is, honestly, a figment of your imagination. I can't remember a single play where the Pats have brought the TE in motion to the interior of the line and used the TE to pick-up the blitz there.

As for this idea that Woodhead is below average because of his size, you have nothing to support your claims. Just your opinion. And the facts don't support it.

What I find hilarious is that I quote FACT to you (Pro Day/Combine heights/weights) and you gloss over them as if they don't exist. Yet, you expect people to believe your flawed opinion?

Until now, you've said nothing complimentary of Woodhead. Personally, it just seems like you are trying to CYA and you aren't doing a good job of it.

Amen, here's another point that hasn't been raised. Woodhead has played 15 games in the NFL compared to Faulk's 150+ and he is already very competent ( to say the least) in blitz pickup. It's more than most everyone expected..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes