PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting - Ryan meet with Revis | Revis Deal Done

How do we know if Cromartie is having a great preseason? Who has he played. I heard Mark Canazaro on Sirius NFL Radio say the same thing about him and Wilson. Even in practice, the only real quality QB he has faced this preseason is Eli Manning and the Jets were without 3-4 starters on offense. We will see how he does against TJ Whosyourmamma and Derrick Mason on Monday night and Welker in two weeks. And then you will see if he is really good.

Besides, his career in San Deigo has been overhyped. He got three of his 10 INTs against Manning on his worst game of his career (Manning threw six picks in that game). He had one great half a season and 3 1/2 mediocre seasons. Let's not make it all about scheme.

So you're going to take the word of a beat reporter, because it fits your spin, nevermind the people who have actually watched him play?

Google it, players coaches around the league who have watched him this pre-season have noticed a difference.

You're suggesting that Cromartie is all hype, that's because you are hoping he fails, wake up!

So you heard Canizarro? What does he know?

Derrick Mason is 36 years old, Housh just signed and won't know the offense.

You seem to be looking to dig up anything that paints a negative picture for the Jets.

Stop being a homer.

Canizaro covers the team and echos my sentiments. So is he a Pats' homer too?

Mason may be 36, but that doesn't mean he can't play. Housh came from Cincy that runs a similiar offense as Cincy. Besides, what are you trying to argue? That if Cromartie shuts them down, it really doesn't mean anything or if Mason or Housh torch Cromartie, that means Cromartie is even worse than he looked in the game because those two aren't much of a receivers? I am saying wait until we see Cromartie vs. those guys, you are arguing if he does well it means nothing and if he doesn't he is a liability in coverage. Way to talk down your players.

Again, before you crown Cromartie as this stud, let's wait until he actually face real competition. Not the sisters of the poor that he has faced so far. You say he won't be tested at least until week 2. You better hope he doesn't get lit up in week one then.

Give him a break. A lot of Jets fans are lemmings and since Revis' side didn't talk, they all bought the Jets' spin that it was all about getting $15 million a year.

Also, give Mike Florio credit over at PFT, he correctly pointed out it was always more about the guaranteed money which the Jets refused to give and what Revis was looking for.

BTW, they might as well made it $46 million guaranteed because unless the last year has $14 million in base, there is next to now way the Jets can cut Revis even if his play falls off the map.

:eek:

What a blind homer

I know your type, you spin everything the Pats do as a positive, all the rival teams, always a negative.

You babble on until you actually believe what you post, despite proof to the contrary.

You're suggesting the Jets caved and Revis didn't

I can't help it you refuse to accept the truth.

It was always about the guaranteed money. The Jets caved plain and simple. The last Jets offer was an extra $5 million guaranteed and nothing else (as Greg Bishop from the NYT reported). Revis always wanted over $30 million guaranteed and Jets didn't want to guarantee and they spun it to all about being all about the per year guarantee. Revis did cave too, but he got his guaranteed money which is always a win for the player because contracts are all about guaranteed money.

You are oversimplifying the whole "guaranteed money" issue. For a guy like Revis, the guaranteed money was mostly a red herring for essentially the reason that the guy will see the majority of the money in any contract (except for perhaps years 8-10 in a ten year deal) except for cases of a catostrophic injury (i.e. getting stampeded by elephants, falling out of a window, etc.), which can be insured for. Even if Revis were to tear an ACL, have a compound fracture ala Leon, he isn't going anywhere - he's far too valuable.

So, as you point out in another post, he will see all of the $46 million of this 4 year deal, unless he renegotiates before that. The guarantees are largely irrelevant. Likewise, if he signed a 10 year deal, who really cares if the guarantees are $30m, $40, $50m? Those guarantees will all be paid in years 1-4 of the contract - years that he will undoubtedly see anyway.

The word "guarantee" in football means different things to different people, depend on who is using it. Is it guaranteed for injury, skill or both? For some, guarantees usually meant how much the player is getting in the first 3 years as those years are typically paid out on account of the dead money that would hit if a player is cut (in ordinary cap years).

JMO, the Jets didn't cave here. The Jets only offered the $5 million raise as the Revis camp wouldn't come down from the stratosphere they were in. Why negotiate reasonably if the other side refuses to?

It gives Revis a big chunk of money (probably upfront too), and gives both sides flexibility to come up with a long term deal that will make him a Jet for life. Worst case scenario for the Jets is that they ended up giving him a 1 yr/ $25m extension. In all likelihood, once the CBA is nailed down in the next two years, his deal will become a longer one.

At the end of the day, Feinsod and Schwartz got Revis a big chunk of money - far more than Chris Johnson got in a similarly situated position. But, they fell WELL short of getting Aso money, which, while being a pipe dream, was also their stated intention.

Last edited:
Canizaro covers the team and echos my sentiments. So is he a Pats' homer too?

Mason may be 36, but that doesn't mean he can't play. Housh came from Cincy that runs a similiar offense as Cincy. Besides, what are you trying to argue? That if Cromartie shuts them down, it really doesn't mean anything or if Mason or Housh torch Cromartie, that means Cromartie is even worse than he looked in the game because those two aren't much of a receivers? I am saying wait until we see Cromartie vs. those guys, you are arguing if he does well it means nothing and if he doesn't he is a liability in coverage. Way to talk down your players.

Again, before you crown Cromartie as this stud, let's wait until he actually face real competition. Not the sisters of the poor that he has faced so far. You say he won't be tested at least until week 2. You better hope he doesn't get lit up in week one then.

Giving credence to the NY media is like trying to defend Lindsay Lohan

Just stop, there are also some in the NY media and national media that have a different take, naturally, you're siding with the one that fits your spin and agenda.

I thought Revis wanted to be paid like the best player in the league?

DR: 4yrs = $46mil (£32mil)

Nnamdi got a deal where if first 2 years were $28.5mil, which is fully guaranteed, and if Raiders keep him for the 3rd; he will be paid $16mil+

Seems like Revis hasn't been paid how he should :) Was he getting bored?

You are suggesting that the Jets were the one to cave, it's been talked about everywhere, and the general consensus that is quite the other way around.

Even one of the biggest Jets haters admits as much:

Thank you for posting an article that supports my argument and be too clueless to even read what you posted. I guess you glossed over this part of Florio's piece:

As previously explained, the real issue was guaranteed money. Assuming that the Jets gave Revis true and complete guarantees (and not Ferguson/Mangold incomplete guarantees), Revis can now take $32 million to the bank -- and he could try to get millions more when the new deal expires, and when Revis is still on the right side of 30.

Revis camp finally abandoned the quest for Nnamdi money | ProFootballTalk.com

Wow you are a homer.

How the hell did the Jets cave? Revis' camp wanted 16 mil a year, they were floating numbers like 120+ million with 40 mil+ guaranteed, Revis wound up taking about 10 million increase to the guaranteed money he already had coming to him over the next 3 years plus another year.

Revis' new deal gives him about 11 a year on average.

A horrible offense?

LMAO, what is with some of you Pat homers who seem to be clueless about the Jets?

I'll leave the discussion of the Revis contract to those of you who seem to know more about it than do I; I think it's fair to say that the Jets are paying more than they wanted to pay and Revis is taking less than he was reportedly seeking. Beyond that, have at it!

But I do want to address the reaction of many of us to the Jets.

We'd have to be fools to suggest that the Jets don't have what was an outstanding defense by the numbers last year and what is now, on paper, perhaps the best D in the league. However, the NFL has historically been a place where squads that are great on paper don't measure up on the field (just ask Dan Snyder)...and that's why they play the games, as the saying goes.

As for the Offense, I don't think it's quite fair to say it's "horrible," as that's how I'd describe last year's Rams or Lions. But, to suggest that it is "suspect" is, I think, fair and pretty consistent with the view of Gary Myers and others in the NY tabloids (I live in Manhattan and subscribe to the Daily News).

When people here go a little overboard in criticizing the Jets, I think they're reflecting how sick and tired we and most NFL fans are of the "talk, talk, talk" coming out of New Jersey. Not only have you already won this year's Super Bowl, but your QB has also made his trip to the White House.

In reality, what you are is a team that was handed a 9--7 finish by Bill Polian, that had one OK Playoff Game (Bengals) and one very good Playoff game (Chargers) but that ultimately couldn't stay on the field for two full halves with the Colts. Nonetheless, a better finish than the Pats could manage last year and it should be recognized as such.

You added some weapons in the offseason, the talking started and you strutted yourself, interminably, for HBO. So, we've gotten to the point where we and most fans across the league don't want to hear any more talk from the Jets or their fans.

"Just Win, Baby," as Al Davis would have said years ago, and then you'll get the respect on the field that you feel you deserve on paper.

Giving credence to the NY media is like trying to defend Lindsay Lohan

Just stop, there are also some in the NY media and national media that have a different take, naturally, you're siding with the one that fits your spin and agenda.

I am just using him as an example of a person who observes the team on a daily basis without an agenda to hate the guy or the team who echos what I say. Of course if he said that he was another Revis, you wouldn't have a problem with what he said.

:eek:

What a blind homer

I know your type, you spin everything the Pats do as a positive, all the rival teams, always a negative.

You babble on until you actually believe what you post, despite proof to the contrary.

You're suggesting the Jets caved and Revis didn't

I can't help it you refuse to accept the truth.

I'm glad I can get under your skin. I guess it isn't hard to get a Jets homer riled up. Why are you so obsessed with what I or any Pats fan think any way? I admit I do post on the Jets boards, but I never get upset with what anyone says except for maybe personal attacks.

By the looks of it the Jest fan is having a sulk because someone dare criticise the all world 19-0 team with 53 probowlers that they have :p

He must have forgotten the real world where looking good against Matt Moore (with no Steve Smith) isn't an achievement...at all.

And he has the cheek to call people on here a homer :p he's the classic example of one! (or a very bad troll)

Last edited:
By the looks of it the Jest fan is having a sulk because someone dare criticise the all world 19-0 team with 53 probowlers that they have :p

He must have forgotten the real world where looking good against Matt Moore (with no Steve Smith) isn't an achievement...at all.

And he has the cheek to call people on here a homer :p he's the classic example of one! (or a very bad troll)

Even less of an achievement when they don't look good against Matt Moore :) No-one in that game looked good!

I'll leave the discussion of the Revis contract to those of you who seem to know more about it than do I; I think it's fair to say that the Jets are paying more than they wanted to pay and Revis is taking less than he was reportedly seeking. Beyond that, have at it!

We'd have to be fools to suggest that the Jets don't have what was an outstanding defense by the numbers last year and what is now, on paper, perhaps the best D in the league. However, the NFL has historically been a place where squads that are great on paper don't measure up on the field (just ask Dan Snyder)...and that's why they play the games, as the saying goes.

As for the Offense, I don't think it's quite fair to say it's "horrible," as that's how I'd describe last year's Rams or Lions. But, to suggest that it is "suspect" is, I think, fair and pretty consistent with the view of Gary Myers and others in the NY tabloids (I live in Manhattan and subscribe to the Daily News).

When people here go a little overboard in criticizing the Jets, I think they're reflecting how sick and tired we and most NFL fans are of the "talk, talk, talk" coming out of New Jersey. Not only have you already won this year's Super Bowl, but your QB has also made his trip to the White House.

In reality, what you are is a team that was handed a 9--7 finish by Bill Polian, that had one OK Playoff Game (Bengals) and one very good Playoff game (Chargers) but that ultimately couldn't stay on the field for two full halves with the Colts. Nonetheless, a better finish than the Pats could manage last year and it should be recognized as such.

You added some weapons in the offseason, the talking started and you strutted yourself, interminably, for HBO. So, we've gotten to the point where we and most fans across the league don't want to hear any more talk from the Jets or their fans.

"Just Win, Baby," as Al Davis would have said years ago, and then you'll get the respect on the field that you feel you deserve on paper.

Good post, but the whole HBO angle is a flawed rant.

Jets aren't doing anything they didn't do last year, HBO wanted to actually feature the Jets last year but Tannenbaum and the front office said "no," new regime, rookie year, they wanted Rex to get settled in.

I don't get all the crying about how Rex operates. Many cry about his abrasive style, and how he disrespects the rest of the league, Pat fans do this all the time. How the hell can any Pat fan kill a coach for being disrespectful when their own coach is probably one of the bigger schmo's in the league?

Rex' mantra is about creating an environment that his players respond to, and give forth maximum effort, isn't that the objective? Does he not achieve this? Do you think Belichick cares who he pisses off when he gets killed for his in-game and post game antics?

I'm glad I can get under your skin. I guess it isn't hard to get a Jets homer riled up. Why are you so obsessed with what I or any Pats fan think any way? I admit I do post on the Jets boards, but I never get upset with what anyone says except for maybe personal attacks.

I'm not riled up at all, just calling you out for your homer nonsense.

It will be interesting early on for the Jets, including the Pats at home in week 2, with Revis coming in with no camp time to get his timing down in coverage and with LT the feature on offense. I bet Brady works Revis all day in week two to show he can and to test Revis' conditioning. The New Adventures of the Old LT shows that he has has had slow starts the last couple of years and we know Sanchez won't put up big numbers if the running game doesn't work. The Jets are paying money in the short term for results now and do not look like a team that jump on top of the AFC East early and ride a hot streak. They are a 17-20 points/game team that has to win low-scoring affairs. That ain't the 2000 Ravens over there, even with Revis back at the corner.

How the hell did the Jets cave? Revis' camp wanted 16 mil a year, they were floating numbers like 120+ million with 40 mil+ guaranteed, Revis wound up taking about 10 million increase to the guaranteed money he already had coming to him over the next 3 years plus another year.

This is like me telling my boss that I want a 200% raise but I'll settle for a 100% raise.

Don't ever go to a Turkish bazaar. They will pick your pockets even if you leave the bazaar smiling with your gold plated hookah pipe.

"Wash" may be the wrong word. I would agree that the offense should definitely be improved compared to last year, but the Jets D is definitely something to be concerned about.
We will see. I am not convinced. Certainly they are LIKELY to be a good defense, but I can give you many reasons that you must wait and see how the actual football games play out, such as:

They have nobody at RDE.
Their NT is overweight, recovering from severe injuries and has a history of being injured, or when healthy being to overweight to play ful time.
Ellis is solid at LDE.
Everyone is freaking about our DL, and I fail to see where this one is any better, and if Jenkins has his typical injury they are one Ellis injury from being horrible.
Jason Taylor is starting at OLB. Jason Taylor.
On the other side is career disappointment Bryan Thomas, he of 2 sacks in this blitz crazy scheme.
Everyone is freaking about our OLBs, but if Pace doesnt get back fast, I cant see how these are as good as ours. I'll take TBC over Thomas and at this point there are a ton of guys I'd take over Taylor.
A lot of the pass rush last year came from exotic blitz packages.
That is a smoke and mirrors defense that ultimately gets dissected.
Jets ILBs had DBs had 40% of their sacks last year. That is rare and is from schemes that other teams have not used. They are now on film.
Lets see if excesively risky defense can pay off after a year of study on film. If the Jets blitz packages are picked up, they will get destroyed by the pass. See 07 Ravens with Ryan as DC, ranked 20th in pass yards, on 26th fewest attempts and 26th in pass TDs allowed. Not to mention 20th in points allowed, and allowing 21 or more and an average of 29.5 in their last 9 games that season, including allowing 22 points and 380 yards to the Dolphins in their only win of the season. And the players he had in Baltimore were better than the ones he has in NY.
Who knows what Revis will look like after missing training camp. They have them for a reason. But I don't see who else they have in their secondary who can cover.
They have new players at RDE,OLB(for now) CB and S and I do not see any that represent certain improvement, in fact the only potential imporvement is Cromartie, and thats only if he somehow recaptures the flash in the pan Int knack he once had. Otherwise he is a corner who was picked on in a bad secondary in SD that they didnt want any more, even though corner is a weakness, who has no interest in tackling.
On top of all of this is, IMO, a team that has set itself up with ridiculous expecatations and told itself it has accomplished something that they just need to watch play out. That is very dangerous.
The fact that their offense may be the worst in the NFL is also going to impact their D.
When you are a risky pressure based defense and your offense keeps putting more pressure on you by failing, you reach the breaking point.

Clasic Penis Envy

You guys say the Jets caved. You say Cro is overrated. blah blah blah

Meanwhile, you guys can't even sign your best Offensive Lineman.

Now lets bring all you guys back down to Earth and have you face the facts:

1) Revis is better than ANY defensive player you have on your entire team. As always, he will make Randy Moss his B$TCH twice this season. He will COMPLETELY shut him down and you all know it.

2) Cro has always been best suited for man coverage. Another fact ANY Patsy fan loves to deny. He also played quite well against Wes Welker in the past when he was in man coverage. He will ONLY cover Welker in man coverage. Welker will still get his, though. A lot of short yardage underneath passes basically serving as a running play. I'll give him about 5 catches for 35 yards in week 2.

3) Our defense, with or without Revis, is head and shoulders better than your defense another fact you would love to deny but simply cannot. We were the number 1 ranked defense in EVERY major statistical category last season without Kris Jenkins. Jenkins is the best NT in football, better than Wilfork will ever be.

Now we come into this season having added a healthy Jenkins, Cro, and drafted Kyle Wilson for the slot. This allows us to send NINE at times against opponents.

Get ready for your dearly beloved Brady to get his ***** kicked all over the field this season. The last time I checked Brady didn't play very well when he was in the fetal position each and every play.

The Jets will overload the LOS and simply come with more pass rushers than you can provide blockers at times. Hell, besides Mankins, there's NO ONE from your OL that I would want on my team. So even when we just man up we'll still get past your underperforming OL and get hits on Brady.

4) Revis wanted 16 million per season. The Jets got him for 11.5 million per season. Now use your brain and think to yourself who won this standoff. I'm sure if you think long and hard enough you can come up with the OBVIOUS answer.:rolleyes:

In conclusion, you guys should focus on your own team and how they can get better. Because you guys are way behind at this point. Even if you guys had Bodden, Warren, and Kaczur you still weren't good enough to beat us when it matters most anyway. So stop the penis envy and when you guys get LEGITIMATELY better, I'll acknowledge it and come back here and accept the verbal abuse.

Good post, but the whole HBO angle is a flawed rant.

Jets aren't doing anything they didn't do last year, HBO wanted to actually feature the Jets last year but Tannenbaum and the front office said "no," new regime, rookie year, they wanted Rex to get settled in.

I don't get all the crying about how Rex operates. Many cry about his abrasive style, and how he disrespects the rest of the league, Pat fans do this all the time. How the hell can any Pat fan kill a coach for being disrespectful when their own coach is probably one of the bigger schmo's in the league?

Rex' mantra is about creating an environment that his players respond to, and give forth maximum effort, isn't that the objective? Does he not achieve this? Do you think Belichick cares who he pisses off when he gets killed for his in-game and post game antics?

OK lets see.
Ryan is a cool dude, and his attitude is probably the most motivational ever seen in the NFL. Players will play better just because of him. Its too early, but soon they better start working on the bust for Canton.
Cromartie is the second best corner in the NFL, no make that the second best of all time.
Sanchez was a rookie last year, so nothing he did matters, the sheer fact that it is going to be his second year means he will be a probowl franchise QB.
Tomlinson is in his prime, the SD OL sucked.
Faneca was terrible we are better off without him.
Rhodes was a starter butwe all know he shouldnt have been, so we are better off without him too.
Jason Taylor will have his best year ever because Rex Ryan is a defensive genius, so it doesnt matter, in fact Butkus may come out of retirement in his 60s and make the probowl playing for Rex.
Tannenbaum is a freakin genius. He played Revis like a drum. Revis folded like a cheap suit, it is so funny that a guy with 3 year left on his contract could void 20mill in guarantees then get it back with 25 mill more. What a tool, Tanny Rules!!!
I can't see how the Jets don't go at least 14-2.

Did I miss anything?
Does that make me fair and balanced, or do I have to go through how the Patriots suck in every way first?

Clasic Penis Envy

You guys say the Jets caved. You say Cro is overrated. blah blah blah

Meanwhile, you guys can't even sign your best Offensive Lineman.

Now lets bring all you guys back down to Earth and have you face the facts:

1) Revis is better than ANY defensive player you have on your entire team. As always, he will make Randy Moss his B$TCH twice this season. He will COMPLETELY shut him down and you all know it.

2) Cro has always been best suited for man coverage. Another fact ANY Patsy fan loves to deny. He also played quite well against Wes Welker in the past when he was in man coverage. He will ONLY cover Welker in man coverage. Welker will still get his, though. A lot of short yardage underneath passes basically serving as a running play. I'll give him about 5 catches for 35 yards in week 2.

3) Our defense, with or without Revis, is head and shoulders better than your defense another fact you would love to deny but simply cannot. We were the number 1 ranked defense in EVERY major statistical category last season without Kris Jenkins. Jenkins is the best NT in football, better than Wilfork will ever be.

Now we come into this season having added a healthy Jenkins, Cro, and drafted Kyle Wilson for the slot. This allows us to send NINE at times against opponents.

Get ready for your dearly beloved Brady to get his ***** kicked all over the field this season. The last time I checked Brady didn't play very well when he was in the fetal position each and every play.

The Jets will overload the LOS and simply come with more pass rushers than you can provide blockers at times. Hell, besides Mankins, there's NO ONE from your OL that I would want on my team. So even when we just man up we'll still get past your underperforming OL and get hits on Brady.

4) Revis wanted 16 million per season. The Jets got him for 11.5 million per season. Now use your brain and think to yourself who won this standoff. I'm sure if you think long and hard enough you can come up with the OBVIOUS answer.:rolleyes:

In conclusion, you guys should focus on your own team and how they can get better. Because you guys are way behind at this point. Even if you guys had Bodden, Warren, and Kaczur you still weren't good enough to beat us when it matters most anyway. So stop the penis envy and when you guys get LEGITIMATELY better, I'll acknowledge it and come back here and accept the verbal abuse.

OK, I understand that your coach and most of your fans are acting like penises, but what is there to envy?
We've been better for 10 years.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back