PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting - Ryan meet with Revis | Revis Deal Done

AJY;2115277 #2 - Cromartie said:
I know I can't believe such a bad corner starts in this league.

Wow, Tubby Ryan goes to Florida to make things right. :rolleyes:

Somehow, I picture THIS MOVIE SCENE** at the very thought of it.

** - CONTENT ADVISORY - Definitely not safe for work. (great gangster movie though) :D
I was thinking the movie would be Tommy Boy.
Farley/Ryan on the road with Spade/Tannenbaum

Re: Revis deal done

We really can't be cavalier about this.

With Revis back, and the rest of the D, the whole idea is that their "sucking" offense doesn't have to score a lot of points. Figure the D is good for a TD a game, then all the Sanchize has to do is stumble or luck his way into another 10 points and the Jets will have 17 points and be in the game until the end.
Dude, they arent the 85 Bears, TD a game, come on.

Well, you're going to get a chance to test the old saying: "Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it."

Thing is, so might Rex... No built in excuse because Darrelle held out. Whole team that wasn't performing well down the stretch in camp to the point Rex was turning on them critically and they were openly commenting on the lack of leadership on both sides of the ball now has it's leader. Pile all the crap on Revis Island. They were living on that same island last season when Rex had his meltdown because at 7-7 he believed they were out of it. Which they would have been had not two playoff teams who had already clinched opted to roll over and rest starters because they had nothing left to compete for...

The Jets have the best secondary in the NFL now.

This board is biased, this secondary is a force now with

#1 - Revis, potentially the best since Deon Sanders, coming into his prime.

#2 - Cromartie, as a number 2 CB, are you kidding me!

#3 - Wilson, who several teams believed was the best man to man CB in the draft and has impressed in the pre-season.

THe Pats offense vs the Jets D will be EPIC, seriously, week 2 can't get here fast enough!

Funny thing is, the Pats "revolving door"; young & unproven defense is bringing out a lot of skeptics including myself while the Jets are getting all the praise. Revis is the best at what he does, but you're taking a blind leap of faith in proclaiming Cromartie and Wilson as a sure thing just yet. Wilson is a rookie not having even played in an NFL game yet and Cromartie has fallen off a cliff since his time in SD and I think it's safe to say he's a certified idiot that brings nothing to the locker room.

From what I understand of the contract, this deal shows that a player has to give a discount in an extension when he has years left on his current contract.

================================================

This being an uncapped year might defray some of the cost to a future cap?

Will the Jets be in cap hell, some have claimed that is where they were going for years, and here they are now due to there savvy management are in good enough financial shape to sign Revis to a mega deal.

Who knows what the new CBA will bring? Tannebaum GM of the year?

Tannenbaum wasn't even in the loop on this one... If they handed out Lombardi's for groveling Woody and Rex would have to be considered the front runners for owner and coach of the year. But they don't...

The uncapped year actually made his deal harder to do. Have to wait and see the terms but none of it will be fully guaranteed unless all of it is in signing bonus. And if it is you will be right back where you started with this player once he cashes that check. He will next hold out half way through this 4 year voided deal...

The JETS have been in and out of cap hell periodically over the last decade for sure. Thing is surviving it is only an accomplishment if in the process you actually win...

The Jets have the best secondary in the NFL now.

This board is biased, this secondary is a force now with

#1 - Revis, potentially the best since Deon Sanders, coming into his prime.

#2 - Cromartie, as a number 2 CB, are you kidding me!

#3 - Wilson, who several teams believed was the best man to man CB in the draft and has impressed in the pre-season.

THe Pats offense vs the Jets D will be EPIC, seriously, week 2 can't get here fast enough!

Yeah, I'd be a little scared too if Cromartie was my starting CB too. Don't buy all the preseason hype. Cromartie and Wilson haven't even faced an average QB this preseason other than Eli Manning who was without his best receiver in Steve Smith. Otherwise, Cromartie has faced Matt Moore (the Panthers have been without their Steve Smith this preseason and are the only team who haven't scored a TD all preseason), Rex Grossman, and Mark Sanchez. I think I could be pretty successful playing CB against them.

Revis is the real deal, but I don't buy the hype on the other CBs. Wilson may be really good at some point, but Cromartie is still going to be Cromartie. He is going to gamble and he will give up big plays doing so.

So they have a CB to cover Moss, who's going to cover: Welker, Tate, Edelman, Hernandez, Gronk, Crumpler, Faulk?

1 man doesn't make a team, way to fold JEST :p

So they have a CB to cover Moss, who's going to cover: Welker, Tate, Edelman, Hernandez, Gronk, Crumpler, Faulk?

1 man doesn't make a team, way to fold JEST :p

Don't fool yourself. The Jets do have a formidable defense. Pats "O" versus Jets "D' is a wash, the big question mark will be the Jets "O" versus the Pats "D". Should be a real interesting matchup week 2.

Don't fool yourself. The Jets do have a formidable defense. Pats "O" versus Jets "D' is a wash, the big question mark will be the Jets "O" versus the Pats "D". Should be a real interesting matchup week 2.

There's no doubt they're good on that side of the ball, but the thing is - just like the game in NE last year, they'll come out all blitz happy and the Patriots will systematically rip them to pieces with short passes & screens.

I don't know if it is a wash. I think the Pats' offense is better this year and the Jets defense may be worse at least week two without Pace. Why the Pats may have an advantage is that the Jets defense is most successful against a spread offense that can have three or four consistent short route weapons. The Jets relies on the blitz to get pressure on the QB. If the Pats have too many receiving weapons and Brady can get rid of the ball quick, the Jets have to either abandon the blitz or give up 5-15 yards at a clip a lot. Last year, the Pats couldn't do that because in each game they only had one or two receiving option in the short routes. Now they have Welker, Edelman, Hernandez, Faulk, Gronk, and Crumpler.

There's no doubt they're good on that side of the ball, but the thing is - just like the game in NE last year, they'll come out all blitz happy and the Patriots will systematically rip them to pieces with short passes & screens.

You would think, but to be quite honest, this is the first time in 10 years I've thrown my hands in the air and am taking a "wait-&-see" approach with the Pats. I have no concerns except for health when it comes to the offense, but I am really on the fence with the "D". Right now i am very skeptical, but holding out hope on the fact that this is the first time in a long time that they are very young and an unproven commodity rather than a core with a patchwork of FA, "has-beens" and JAGS.

I don't know if it is a wash. I think the Pats' offense is better this year and the Jets defense may be worse at least week two without Pace. Why the Pats may have an advantage is that the Jets defense is most successful against a spread offense that can have three or four consistent short route weapons. The Jets relies on the blitz to get pressure on the QB. If the Pats have too many receiving weapons and Brady can get rid of the ball quick, the Jets have to either abandon the blitz or give up 5-15 yards at a clip a lot. Last year, the Pats couldn't do that because in each game they only had one or two receiving option in the short routes. Now they have Welker, Edelman, Hernandez, Faulk, Gronk, and Crumpler.

I agree to an extent, but I'm still "slightly" concerned about the O-line without Mankins. I know they seem to be okay from the preseason, but it is the preseason and Mankins did a good job protecting Brady's blind side. You know Ryan is going to be dialing up on this in week 2.

Last edited:
Revis is good, no doubt. Randy Moss is also pretty freaking good last time I checked.

RM was hurt last year, probably more than we realize.

I for one, am glad Revis is back and I can't wait to see how that match up works in week two.

I will not accept any excuses from revis camp as to how he was out of shape when RM burns his ass either - just as RM's injury was ignored by jetnation last year as well as they crowned revis the best that ever was.

That's really not that bad of a contract compared to what the expectations were. Sure, it's a lot for a CB though. But most of, if not all, of the guaranteed money will probably be paid out this year. This is certainly a win for the Jets.

Cant really be a wash. They will either stop us like in the first game last year or not like in the second.
I love our chances, because I dont think anyone is stopping this offense this year.

Cant really be a wash. They will either stop us like in the first game last year or not like in the second.
I love our chances, because I dont think anyone is stopping this offense this year.

I have to agree with you on this. I am thinking that most, if not all the games the first half of the season will be gunfights between the QB's. In the second have, if the D steps up and gels as I expect it will, we ought to see more lopsided wins on our side of the ledger.

:rocker:

I agree to an extent, but I'm still "slightly" concerned about the O-line without Mankins. I know they seem to be okay from the preseason, but it is the preseason and Mankins did a good job protecting Brady's blind side. You know Ryan is going to be dialing up on this in week 2.

Connolly is a downgrade from Mankins, but I whole heartily trust Dante Scarnecchia. He has put together worse lines than this for Super Bowl seasons. The o-line is a very minor concern for me. We are talking LG, not LT.

I love how the guy played 3 years and Tannenbum is already calling him a HoFer. Any yes, I am a little intrigued how the Jets can throw money at all these probowlers without breaking the bank.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back