PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Rod Smith tidbit on Patriots' schemes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Rod Smith on Sirius radio was talking about how in recent years he has played against the Patriots so often that he has gotten used to their coverage schemes and has known where the "lanes" were going to be. However he said that this year the coaches must have been unsatisfied with something about their coverage because their schemes have changed.

I know BB is always changing things up but thought it was interesting that at least according to Rod Smith this year the coverage schemes are substantially different than in years past.

Isaac said:
Rod Smith on Sirius radio was talking about how in recent years he has played against the Patriots so often that he has gotten used to their coverage schemes and has known where the "lanes" were going to be. However he said that this year the coaches must have been unsatisfied with something about their coverage because their schemes have changed.

I know BB is always changing things up but thought it was interesting that at least according to Rod Smith this year the coverage schemes are substantially different than in years past.
I wonder what's different on the field? I certainly don't know enough to see it.

This is the first time in a while, however, that Mangini isn't drawing up the x's and o's for the defensive secondary and that is likely the major difference.

PatsFan37 said:
I wonder what's different on the field? I certainly don't know enough to see it.

This is the first time in a while, however, that Mangini isn't drawing up the x's and o's for the defensive secondary and that is likely the major difference.
Good thread. Maybe this is why Eugene is struggling and the defense took a while to get adjusted in the Bills game.

if this is the case, then watch out once they get acclimated to the scheme and becomes second nature. Should be pretty good.

Will also be interesting to see if the Pats play alot of 4-3 today versus the 3-4.

Maybe Rod is playing possum this year before the game... he is a cagey vet.

Last edited:
That is an interesting point. It would be hard to see any real changes, because I'm sure they're not too drastic, unless you were watching the coach's film and can see the entire field from above.

I'm glad they changed it up, if only to keep guys like Rod Smith guessing about what they are going to face tonight.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
Maybe Rod is playing possum this year before the game... he is a cagey vet.
Not sure what the point would be, the Patriots know if the coverages are the same or not. It's not like Smith could fool them into thinking they've changed.

I dunno... it might make people listening think that the new coverages have him less comfortable when in fact they do not. No matter... the donkeys will get crushed tonight.

PonyExpress said:
No matter... the donkeys will get crushed tonight.
I hope you're right, I really do. I'll believe it (a crushing, as opposed to just a win) when I see it. Although the way the front seven has been playing we may really force them into a lot of third and longs which is what we need to cause some turnovers finally.

The Pats D-line will manhandle the Broncos. Nalen, once great, is aging. The muddy, intentionally rough track will slow down the one cut run game, forcing the backs to focus on their footing. The Power run game will negate the Bronc's LBer speed. Bailey is and always has been an overrated corner. Unfortunately one play has cemented an otherwise unjustified reputation. Lynch is old. Jackson and Gabriel have had another week of practice. The Pats haven't broken out there play action or screen game, sandbagging prior to this game. Brady is steaming. The coverage teams are improved. I believe the Pats will physically beat up the Broncos in this game, like they haven't been beaten up in a long time. The final score may be closer than the level of physical dominance indicates, because the Pats' O is still a work in progress.

Last edited:
The Rodney's will be meeting head on tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes