PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

interesting read

Status
Not open for further replies.
BSMW is always a good read. He nails it where the Boston sports media is concerned. And the thin skinned commentary is hilarious. I've tangled with Shaughnessy and his handlers on occasion so I can really appreciate that. I have long believed some sort of pathological jealousy of or disdain for athletes or those closely associated with their respective franchises - and the fans who support and follow them - fuels much of what ails the Boston sports media's reporting. Many see themselves as Will did - the smarter guy relegated writing about an industry he could run far better than any local incumbant who does (successfully or unsuccessfully). Others, particularly the limited to on air types, I believe fall into that category Bob Kraft mentioned yesterday - those who dreamed of being a professional athlete but weren't good enough. And among the worst are the kind Flutie decided to pass on joining by going to the college media ranks - the former player who all too willingly turns nasty on his former peers to facilitate making a few more bucks post career.

And then there is the whole WEEI/FSNE and sports talk radio as WWF smashmouth entertainment model created by a short fat guy who used to be the lesser known voice of the Celtics until he couldn't get along with the actually legendary one. Although at least in Glenn's defense he will always admit when pushed that it's all about the ratings and the money where he's concerned. It's all his thin skinned co-hosts and cohorts and peers who won't who are the really scummy closet frauds in the final analysis. Along with all the idiot callers and those listeners who don't understand that they are just being used and manipulated by people who have absolutely no respect for their opinion beyond the value them expressing it adds to their paycheck.

A great read....and I have to agree with him about BEING a sportswriter. But so so funny about Shaunessey and others AT the Globe!! THAT is so so true!! BUT as that is true, Ryan's characterization is just as much. (I met Ryan outside the Garden on a side street on the night of the Russell tribute..) A 20 minute passionate conversation!!! And all the talk of EEI???? SO SO true!!! A great read!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes