PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Read on if this year's group is better than last year's

On paper one can say if certain things happens this PATS team
will be better this year than last year. IMO, there is a lot of potential on
paper. But Offense and Defense depend on each other and the kicking
unit. Lots can go wrong.

4 Things that can negate or lessen the potential we now see.

1. Long term injuries.
2. New talent not being as good as expected. ( this includes coaches )
3. Lack of that mysterious quality Synergy ... sometimes referred to as gelling.
4. Bad luck. ( can cost a few games ... even a superbowl :ugh:)

I've seen many WRs in the past who most thought were going to be
great in a PATs uniform but they never got it. Why should I be confident
this year?

Is there anyone here who can say with certainty that this years PATS team will be better this year than last year?

If so, please post the things that make you so certain.

Oh it's a James Walker piece?

HomerSuspicious.gif

a fine analysis as always

1) I apologize for the snide comment / personal shot. It was not necessary.

2) With regard to the running game, you are correct that the improvement in the OL could mean a much better running game. As you say, the health of Mankins and Gronkowski would help alot. Even if there is loss from not having Woodhead, this improved blocking should make up for this is overall running production. And as I agreed, Washington and/or Blount should help the total quality of the running game. For me, Vereen is a question mark. He seems to be a fine receiver; we'll what other roles he can excel at.

3) Raw talent and JAGs with potential are both great. However, given where we were last year and our cap situation, I would have hoped to be in a better position by now at WR. I agree that if the TE's stay healthy, we have little to worry about.

4) The mess was not the overall passing game, which was the best among playoff teams, as you said. The mess was in anything but the short game. And yes, we can do without stretching the field except when we play top defenses. In any case, Belichick has addressed this issue and hopefully one of the 10 WR not named Amendola on the roster will be productive. As with you, I expect Amendola to be top addition, certainly in the slot.

5) I say the sky may be falling at wide receiver. You say that this may or may not be true, but it really doesn't matter much. You are correct if the TE's and Amendola remain healthy and productive.

6) As is usually the case, we agree on almost all points. Certainly we agree the patriots are very likely to be a playoff team. We also agree that the new offense will be very interesting to watch as it develops. If not for injuries, we would have seen more of the new system last year.

I am SHOCKED. Shocked that it was this post that you disagreed with most. Christ, MG, with all the crap I've written over the years, I find it hard to believe that THIS was the one you disagreed with most. :D

On this point we agree, entirely. The fact is, despite all the flowery complements I laid on Dobson and Boyce, their success or failure is, as you put it, a crap shoot......AND so are all the WR's who were picked before them.....and after.

But the point still remains that every year there are many excellent "prospects" who have all kinds of measurables and/or college production that wets the appetite of fans all over the league. AND....lo and behold some of them actually become very productive receivers in this league.

FO's article's main point was that even great proven WR's don't always translate into wins. Besides its very hard to evaluate WR's without factoring in the QB. How much of the success of any WR is the QB they have, or the "system" they run. WR is clearly one of the hard positions to evaluate in a vaccuum

Frankly this kind of snide personal shot is beneath you, MG. But you make one valid point in this quote. What is important is having a solid set of "receivers". Not just WR's. Between, Gronk, Hernandez, Ballard, Washington, and Vareen, Brady starts out with 5 proven "receivers" that most teams would love to have, even BEFORE we talk about a single WR

Again we agree. But you didn't go far enough with your analysis. For the last 3 years the Pats have been a top 3 passing attack, and has YET to have any kind of, so called, deep pass threat. Why would a lack of one this year be a reason to fall into a manic depression of inevitable doom. :eek:

Especially when the fact is that between Boyce and Dobson, we have the best chance of actually developing a so called deep threat than we've had the last 3 years.

How much of a mess was our passing game last year? 4th best in the league (and it should be noted that the 3 teams ahead of us, DIDN'T make the playoffs)

This is over the top negativism at its worst. Even if the rookies don't contribute and all the so called JAG's turn out to be just JAG's this offense will still be one of the best in the league. All the worrywarts want to compare this season with 2006, and even you know, MG, that this RECEIVER group is light years ahead of that group. Caldwell was out of the league just 2 years later, Gaffney is and was the epitome of a JAG. and Troy Brown was on the downside.....and it STILL was the 11th best passing attack in the league, and a few bad calls and a defensive collapse from a superbowl

MG, you make a compelling case for the "sky is falling", at WR,. but its just not the truth.

I never said that, and you know it. I have stated over and over that had Welker stayed this season, HE wouldn't produce as much as the Welker of previous years, simply because, barring another barrage of WR injuries, he never would have seen the looks he had last year. I don't know why anyone should get their painties in a bunch when DA isn't matching Welker's numbers. Its how the offense as a whole performs

Now this is just plain crap. You sound like a sore loser who still hasn't come to grips that Welker left. Someone who couldn't see that Brady's reliance on him (in the absence of Gronk or Hernandez) actually hindered the offense, and made it more predictable and easier to defend in the red zone

Once again you rely on misquoting me, in order to take a cheap shot and try and make your point. tsk, tsk.

Let me repeat myself and try and use small words with few syllablea so you can understand.

I think the Pats WR corps has more "raw talent" than we've seen a long while. Its been a few years since we've had 2 WR's with the size of Dobson and Jenkins. This is also a much FASTER group. Even "molasses Mike Jenkins, is faster than Brandon Lloyd, And Boyce, Jones, Amendola and Dobson are all faster than Branch, Welker, Lloyd.

I NEVER said this was the "best" WR group, just the fastest quickest, biggest, and deepest group we've seen a long while. While at the same time being the most inexperienced group we've seen as well. I'm not saying that this won't without challenges. The offense is changing. Its as simple as that, and with change comes with the good AND bad.

As I state later in the post, this offense isn't the rigid and inflexible monolith you make it out to be. One of Brady's greatest assets in his ability to mold HIS game around the skills of the player's around him. I don't doubt he will do it again this year.

Why wouldn't our running game be better. Just having a healthy Mankins and Volmer alone would improve the OL production. Now add Solder and Wendell making some degree of improvement going into their 2nd year as starters, plus my dream of a more powerful, bigger, and athletic RG in Cannon. Plus a return of the best TE blocker in the league and a back up (Ballard) who is almost his equal as a blocker rounds out what should be an improve OL. So forget about any improvement form Ridely and Vareen. Yes the running game SHOULD improve.

Sure you can interpret BB continuing to look for more RB's as an indictment on Vareen and Ridley. Why not if you think the entire offense is going to hell in a handbasket, why not. I prefer to think that BB's doing what he always tries to do and is increasing the intensity of competition on his young RBs, and hopes to find last season's missing skill set, of a more reliable GL/SY RB. Maybe its Blount. Based on what I've heard from Buc's fans, probably not. But who knows. Perhaps with his career on the line, he becomes the banger he's built like.

Just one more point. The strength of BOTH BB and Brady over the years has been their ability to adapt to the skills of the players that surround them. Who is to say that part of the changes that the offense is going to make means that we will go away form the ultra precision timing offense to one that is less rigid. Maybe this offense will continue to thrive if we take away at least some of the reads the WR have to make, and some of the options that require both the QB and WR see the same thing to be successful.

Back in the day Unitas and Berry ran 8yd and 14 yd outs with such precision that even when the defender KNEW it was coming, they couldn't cover it. As defenses evolve from being primarily zone to primarily man, maybe its time to think about evolving offenses ways from all the read and timing patterns and go back to precise routes that are predetermined.

Last season the superbowl winner won the title throwing the ball up for grabs and relying ot someone to come down with it. Maybe it will be a trend. ;)

And I'm just as optimistic as I am every season. These articles never faze me.

... Plus he said the Bills and Dolphins, with their shiny new logo, are a threat. Yeah.

As of right now, we are worse off than last year. By season's start or by mid-season, we might be better. The unknowables have to do with health and how many of the question marks are answered in the coming months.

Couldn't disagree with this more.

Compare the start of this coming year, even if it were right now and now three months away, with our starting unit last year.

Kelly is an upgrade unless he's completely spent. Adrian Wilson is an upgrade. Talib is an massive upgrade. McCourty at safety over corner, where he started, is a massive upgrade.

Is Armstead going to be an upgrade? Don't know, but last year, we had a couple of unknowns in Jones and Hightower, both of whom should be better this year. Defensively this team is much deeper and better than the team that started last season. It's not even close. Same with Collins - seems like he might add some things we were sorely missing, but we'll see.

Offensively, we might have a step back at the beginning of the year, and yeah, losing Welker hurts. But really, how many of those 140 throws that went his way won't be caught by some other targets this year? Welker might be the best possession receiver in the game, but he's not a gamebreaker.

After Welker, we are deeper at tight end with Ballard and a healthy Fells (he was apparently playing pretty hurt last year), and we're better on the outside - honestly, I'd take Jenkins and Jones over Lloyd and Branch. I like Lloyd and hoped he would come back, but he is the best in the game at catching a 6-yard pass on 3rd and 8. He was steady but nothing anyone had to plan against in any consistent way. And Branch, great as he used to be, was useless last year.

I have no idea if Dobson or Boyce or Moe will stick, but they bring better skill sets that what we've had out there.

Losing Woodhead might hurt a bit, too - loved the guy - but Washington adds fixes one of our biggest weaknesses from last year: kick return. I still think Washington can function as a 3rd down back, too - he certainly wasn't burned out in Seattle.

Absent a bunch of pre-season injuries, this year's 53 starting game 1 is superior to last year's game 1 53.

By the way, go read Walker's article about the AFC East from LAST year...it's a carbon copy, and be very afraid of those Bills, I tells ya!

Reason 3 is proposed every season and every season people proposing reason 3 are made to look foolish.

1. It may be true that, but some weird metric, the WR position is overrated in terms of translating to wins. Even if that "rule" is true, it probably applies less to the Patriots (or Peyton's Broncos) than to any other team (by far). ...

Many of your points are valid, however the 2006 Patriots want to speak with you about how this team is more reliant on WR play than any other.:D

Oh, and Ian needs his head examined - and so does anyone who read this tripe.

No, idiots that is not "homerism." It is anti-E!SPN-ism. I know it is tripe without reading it BECAUSE it is from E!SPN.
I know everyone is off-season bored, but that crap is written solely to get views to show the advertiser. And you all fell for it.

We are returning all defensive starters and all starters on the O-line, and returning Brady. That tells me all I need to know to have confidence.

The fact that we are returning all D starters but likely won't be starting the same 11 is evidence that we got better not only starters but depth as well.

having been branded the most unreasonable Pats fan on this board, I see no reason for reasons 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9...in fact, you can say this is "The Season Of No Reason"...that's why we'll sign T.O. to give Brady a fake outside threat...no rhyme or reason...can't wait for the "Team That Never Knows What Its' Doing" to finally screw everything up and have a losing season.
a280.gif

Homerism isnt realistic.

Its like the Captain of the Titanic spinning that "we have a leak."

But there is "realism" (or proportional realism) to comparing the Patriot's situation to a sinking Titanic?

Think of the intellectual football joy you (and others) will get after you tell us homers (and Captain Belichick) "See I told you so" from the lifeboat after our ship has died, split in half and sunk 2 1/2 miles into the light-less, icy sea and killed 69% of everyone on board.

:fish2:

Better in every way but WR#1

All in all: we superbowl now

Barring the amount of time it will take for the young WRs to get accustomed to the playbook, the team is pound for pound stronger than last year.

The team fixed:

1) Kickoff return by adding Leon Washington

2) Interior pass rush by adding Armond Armstead and Tommy Kelly

3) Pass defense by adding Adrian Wilson to man the strong safety position, along with maintaining stability in the cornerback spots by resigning Aqib Talib (allows everyone else on the defense to be put in the right position and allows them to play more aggressive) and slot corner Kyle Arrington, also added Logan Ryan

4) Lack of speed/size/depth at WR by adding talented rookies Josh Boyce and Aaron Dobson, along with adding Donald Jones, Danny Amendola (slightly bigger than Welker, can also play on the outside at times and has as good hands, if not better) and resigning Julian Edelman

5) Lack of speed at LB by adding Jamie Collins (a converted safety)

(Sorry if I may have left other players out)

One overlooked fact is that the Patriots are returning 22 of 24 starters. I feel like certain analysts are overreacting too much about this team just because they lost Wes Welker. Yes, he was the most productive player on the offense for some time, but there are lots of other options on offense that will keep defenses busy.

The Patriots have a running game to lean on that ranked 7th in the NFL, led by young Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen and Brandon Bolden which I also must mention that they are only going to get better.

I'm sure the young talent on defense will only get better (Chandler Jones, Donta Hightower, Tavon Wilson, Alphonso Dennard). If guys like Jake Bequette and Ras-I Dowling can at least show something, that would be a bonus.

A few things on Walker's article:

• Using the strength of schedule as a reason is ridiculous. This time last year, everyone thought the Seahawks were a near automatic W last season. People thought Buffalo were going to be a Wild Card contender at this time last year.
  • On the AFC East, the Dolphins are likely going to be better, but the Bills and Jets? Both teams are likely going to have rookie QBs starting. Both the Bills and Jets have worlds of a way to go from last year just to be average.
  • The Brady age thing is overrated. Walker talks about Denver being improved and potentially a stronger contender yet Manning is one year older and played three more seasons than Brady. How is Brady's age an issue in New England, but Manning's isn't in Denver. And Manning, despite the media doing everything to disprove what was evident to anyone who watched, clearly doesn't have the same arm he had pre-surgeries.
  • Injuries as a reason is also a weak argument. Worst case scenarios have Hernandez and Edelman back before the start of the season and Gronk maybe missing a game or two. Gronk missed a third of a season last year plus the playoffs. Hernandez was never right from his high ankle sprain. Edelman missed most of the season due to injuries.

The Pats could be a worse team than last year. There is a lot of unanswered questions about this team and their fortunes do ride on it.

But there is a possibility that the team could be better as a whole. The receiving corp could be far better than people give it credit for and the defense could make huge strides. Every time the media and fans write this team off, they show they are still one of the best in the league.

I could make a number of points regarding this article. Here is what I will say.

Does anyone remember what the Patriots did against the Saints the last time they played?

For Walker to make the claims that he made is pure conjecture and is not correlative fact that those five "issues" will lead to the Patriots not making the Super Bowl this year.

I could give 10 reasons, right now, why the Patriots are going to the Super Bowl, starting with Tom Brady and how he is the only quarterback in the NFL who can take a group of wide receivers that he has never played with before and win 13 regular season games en route to a playoff bye.

All the Pats need to do is get, in some cases, healthy and stay healthy.

The Pats play the AFC North and the NFC South this year. If they go 6-2 against those two divisions, then they get their bye. Case closed.

As of right now, we are worse off than last year. By season's start or by mid-season, we might be better. The unknowables have to do with health and how many of the question marks are answered in the coming months.

mgteich - I hate to break this to you but all 32 NFL teams as of right now are worse than they were last year.

I sincerely hope he doesn't get paid for what he wrote. I love how he focuses completely on the offensive side of the ball and absolutely ignores the improvements to defense and special teams.

In fact his opinion can be summed up as the same one I've heard here: Since we let Welker go, the first pass to Brady throws to Amendola is going to cause him to instantly shatter, spraying fragments moving at Mach 3 into Hernandez and Gronk also knocking them out for the season. :bricks:

that's not a very modest assessment of his critical thinking skills...I think you should change your nick from Modest to Naked Truth....

I agree with most of the comments in this thread. Without going into too much detail, I think that James Walker is a pretty mediocre writer (at best).

I also think that the defense will continue to improve, and that has been going on now since the stretch run of the 2011 playoffs. The shoring up of the secondary will help hide what has been the biggest weakness.

The offense will continue to focus on the short/intermediate timing routes of the passing game, and the dedication to the run. The 2 TE's (hopefully healthy) will be nothing more than the icing on the cake. If we're actually able to spread the defense out a bit and draw some attention from the safety at times, the offense certainly has the potential to be improved. I actually feel as though there were a lot more weaknesses in our WR corps last season that anyone else though, so my bar isn't set nearly as high....and I certainly don't just break it down to losing Wes Welker, which is short-sighted in my opinion.

Is this the guy that said Brady was going to decline or was that another BSPN moron?

There are really only 2 questions about this team.

1) Do Hightower, Jones, Dennard, and Tavon Wilson make big year 2 jumps? If they do the defense will be good to great.

2) Receiving options, if the tight ends are not healthy it is going to be a long year.

This guy realizes Brady was about to be in the superbowl with Rache Caldwell as his #1 receiver?

If he gels with the new guys and we add a good veteran defensive end, watch out.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back