PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Read about BB and Coach of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wretch

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/11/16/coach_of_year_tricky_issue/

When I read this my thoughts were if the Pats go undefeated then BB deserves the award and if he doesn't get it then I would consider it a great injustice to BB.

I assume BB is like his player and not concerned with personal accolades, but as a fan of BB and the team it is difficult to watch both get such disrespect.

I also think that BB doesn't go out of his way to placate the media and since it is the media members that vote for the award there will be a anti-Bill sentiment among the media. (Similar to the anti-Rice sentiment among the baseball writers in HOF balloting.)

2 questions:

Is there a way to elect a coach of the year that doesn't involve "politicing" with media?

Do the Spygate fine affect Pioli's chances at executive of the year? (Something I think he deserves for the way this team was built in the off season.)

Unfortunately, I see this going down as I saw the Colts game if they were to lose: excuses, excuses, excuses. Would they have a perfect season? Yes (that is, of course, if the premise of this article were to hold up for the rest of the season). But they'd also have a team full of Pro Bowlers that restocked in the offseason to put together an unstoppable force. That, to me, would count against Belichick in the media because, hell, anyone could coach these guys to a perfect season (and before I get assaulted for that comment, I don't believe it to be true, but that's the way the media will surely spin it). Then, of course, there's the 'tainted' season that they all love to harp on. Did a single play of this season get tainted because of the sideline camera? Absolutely not. But that won't be the story. The story will be that they were caught attempting to cheat and, for that reason, Belichick should be punished (oh, wait...he already has been? OK, well that was just the NFL...we in the media need to levy our own punishment).

As I've mentioned in the past, things like this bother me. Not because of the public perception, but because of the historical implications. In 20 years, when people are pouring through the stories and articles to put together a book on the Patriots dynastic run (one that, hopefully, lasts far past this season) they'll see a coach who didn't win the CoY despite a perfect season, a team that was vilified in the media for their cheating ways and a tainted legacy. And that pisses me off.

As I've mentioned in the past, things like this bother me. Not because of the public perception, but because of the historical implications. In 20 years, when people are pouring through the stories and articles to put together a book on the Patriots dynastic run (one that, hopefully, lasts far past this season) they'll see a coach who didn't win the CoY despite a perfect season, a team that was vilified in the media for their cheating ways and a tainted legacy. And that pisses me off.

As that article points out, though, there's an equally "valid" non-Spygate argument for not giving Belichick the award--the fact that the Patriots were 12-4 last year ("Since 1987, only three coaches have won the award with teams that had winning records the season before"). If the Pats had been, say, 6-10 last year, it would almost be a slam dunk for BB, Spygate notwithstanding.

BB will never get coach of the year this year because of Spygate. I don't think it will affect Pioli's chances, however, as he remained out of the fray on that one.

they'll never give it to him this year because of spygate. no matter how strongly I feel that the incident was unfairly overblown in the media, the fact remains that BB flaunted an emphasized rule of the NFL and was handed an unprecedented fine for himself and the team. the only consolation is that it would be clear to all who deserved it, were the pats to go 19--0 and belichick not to get Coach of the Year.

BB will never get coach of the year this year because of Spygate. I don't think it will affect Pioli's chances, however, as he remained out of the fray on that one.

Does anyone know who votes for the executive of the year? Is it the press?

If it is the press I can see an anti-Pats bias affecting the results

It's not the coach of the year award...much like baseball it's the coach who's team made the biggest turnaround compared to last year award! I did like this quote though:

"He's the Coach of the Year to us," said Harrison. "To me, he's the best coach I've ever played for. He's the best coach that ever coached the game, but that's to me. Whether he gets the award or not, who cares? He doesn't care. It's all about winning games. You can get Coach of the Year, but if you lose in the first round of the playoffs, what difference does it make? We don't care about that. Individual awards are what they are - individual. We love team awards."

They rarely ever give the Coach of the Year award to the best coach. I mean who really thought Sean Payton was the best coach last year? It usually goes to the coach that surprise underdog teams.

They rarely ever give the Coach of the Year award to the best coach. I mean who really thought Sean Payton was the best coach last year? It usually goes to the coach that surprise underdog teams.

you can bet your posterior that if any other coach went 19--0, he would be coach of the year.

Jauron or Romeo could get coach of the yr. Perhaps they will give it to Dungheap...."despite all those injuries the mighty Dungheap inspired his team to a playoff run, where they were croaked by the Chargers once again"

Even without Spygate, Bill would not be Coach of the Year. They like to give it to some up and coming coach who unexpectedly gets 10 wins out of an expected loser. I think it will go to Mike McCarthy in GB.

It just another scam like how first year players always seem to win Rookie of the Year.

Just kidding.:rocker:

There is no way BB gets coach of the year. It always goes to the coach who takes the 4-12 team and makes the playoffs. Look for the Steelers HC to get the honor.

i read somewhere that BB couldnt get the coach of the year award...

apparently he can...

GOOD, he deserves it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back