PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting quote from Gabriel RE: Playcalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownfan80

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but maybe it's not the OC that 'sucks' afterall?

“Tom’s the leader,†said Gabriel. “Whatever he wants to call, we’re going to run. If he wants to call [long passes], let’s call them. I don’t think the receiving corps has a problem with them. It’s like the running game. We just do what we’re told.â€

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=21814&pcid=41

Again, I might be reading too much into it, but it seems that the camp that believes that the entire stream of plays comes from McDaniels might have to reconsider. Brady appears to still be quite involved.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
That's low.... stealing my sig to start a thread with. :D

Whoa, I didn't even notice that. Perhaps it was subliminal. lol I was on the official site reading the article that quote came from and it jumped out at me. :)

Brownfan80 said:
Whoa, I didn't even notice that. Perhaps it was subliminal. lol I was on the official site reading the article that quote came from and it jumped out at me. :)
Just giving you a hard time, I only added that to my sig a few hours ago after I read that same article. Jumped out at me as well. Reminded me of a post I had written but never posted, in repsonse to a NEM rant.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Just giving you a hard time, I only added that to my sig a few hours ago after I read that same article. Jumped out at me as well. Reminded me of a post I had written but never posted, in repsonse to a NEM rant.

Maybe I should attempt that tactic the next time NEM needs a talking to. It'd probably save me some energy and sanity. haha. :D

I really hope this sounded a lot less defensive in person than it reads off the page.

the taildragger said:
I really hope this sounded a lot less defensive in person than it reads off the page.

I didn't read it as defensive, but now that you said that I could see it.. Now I want to hear the audio or see the video to know for sure. lol.

the taildragger said:
Did you read the article linked? Maybe it's just me but it didn't come off as defensive to me in the spirit of the article.

I think the main problem with McDaniels as OC is not having an experienced older coach between Brady and Belichick.

I don't think they have a QB coach either.

Tom's still relatively young and has faced less adversity per game than basically any QB ever. I'd like an older coach at one of the two mentioned positions.

Anybody that thinks McDaniels is "calling" most of the plays is nuts. He's basically a technician at this point. BB, Brady and other coaches have more input into what's being called IMO.

RayClay said:
I think the main problem with McDaniels as OC is not having an experienced older coach between Brady and Belichick.

I don't think they have a QB coach either.

Tom's still relatively young and has faced less adversity per game than basically any QB ever. I'd like an older coach at one of the two mentioned positions.

Anybody that thinks McDaniels is "calling" most of the plays is nuts. He's basically a technician at this point. BB, Brady and other coaches have more input into what's being called IMO.
McDaniels is also the QB coach and he is calling the plays. He has to balance Tommy's preferences with the limitations of new players - besides the WR that includes O'Callaghan, Maroney, Dave Thomas, & Wesley Britt. Wheels within wheels, McDaniels call the plays, but Tommy has leeway within each play to make adjustments based on what he is seeing from his perspective - he also has audibles if the defense is all wrong for the play called. Tommy and Josh and Matt work on this all week discussing options and working out how they can adjust to any given situation - 4 and 1, NEM's Cardinals and Steelers may run his favorite passing routes, but they haven't matched the Pats just yet. ;)

NEM said:
Of course you would see it that way, when onthe other hand what Gabriel probably means is that, in the huddle, Brady calls the plays to the rest of them AFTER he gets it through the headset in his helmet from the OC. I am sure that is what he means. Of course, you can interpret it your way too, however, my way makes more sense.
Wow! :singing: NEM got one right! Oh my, I need a drink.

NEM said:
And, guess what? You interpreted it wrong, too. See my post, above.
Nem, it wasn't a dig on you, I assure you. My sig is, but the post I never posted wasn't. 'Course you couldn't know that, since I never posted it.

NEM said:
I get a hell of a lot more right than you would like to admit. Sometimes, it just takes a little longer for the rest of you to get it. :D
Slow I may be, but my favorite team as 3 Vinces and another playoff visit in recent years, I can't help but believe they are ahead of the NEM curve. ;)

NEM said:
I didn't even see your signature line. I wasn't referring to it. and besides, my friggin old eyes can't read that small print anyway. :D
Then you can't pass judgement on my interpretation, since I shared none. :p

Font size of sig increased out of deference to my elders.

Box_O_Rocks said:
McDaniels is also the QB coach and he is calling the plays. He has to balance Tommy's preferences with the limitations of new players - besides the WR that includes O'Callaghan, Maroney, Dave Thomas, & Wesley Britt. Wheels within wheels, McDaniels call the plays, but Tommy has leeway within each play to make adjustments based on what he is seeing from his perspective - he also has audibles if the defense is all wrong for the play called. Tommy and Josh and Matt work on this all week discussing options and working out how they can adjust to any given situation - 4 and 1, NEM's Cardinals and Steelers may run his favorite passing routes, but they haven't matched the Pats just yet. ;)

I don't think the play calling is the problem. Trying to work6 or 7 players into the offense is.

I also believe McDaniels is a technician who assembles all the plays and calls the game plan that Belichick and Brady want.

I'm sure he has his ideas too and hopefully they improve with experience.

I had forgotten he was the "quarterbacks coach". In business getting a title instead of money is often indicative of not being on the success track.

I'm sure he's a bright, hardworking guy but Charlie Weiss was an experienced OC, chris Palmer an experienced QB coach.

If you think this guy has the gravitas of either, much less both, I say you're mistaken.

NEM said:
I didn't even see your signature line. I wasn't referring to it. and besides, my friggin old eyes can't read that small print anyway. :D
NEM, what's your story? I really want to know. Give me your BRIEF bio, if you would.

I am NOT kidding or being mean-spirited.

Patjew said:
NEM, what's your story? I really want to know. Give me your BRIEF bio, if you would.

I am NOT kidding or being mean-spirited.
Oh... but NEM, a small favor... if you induldge our good friend's request, couldya, wouldya do it in it's own thread, where it will get the attention it deserves? (And not take this one too far off topic?) I know you've posted your credentials before, but I think it was before the 'Evil One' hacked the forums to kill the cheerleaders having sex thread.

RayClay said:
If you think this guy has the gravitas of either, much less both, I say you're mistaken.
I believe that hurt Brady last season when he was trying too hard to make something happen instead of dialing it down and taking what was there. Charlie would have spanked him quick, I think Josh hesitated to do that. I don't see that this season, I think Josh has grown more into the OC job and has a better OC (vice QB coach) relationship with Tommy.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I believe that hurt Brady last season when he was trying too hard to make something happen instead of dialing it down and taking what was there. Charlie would have spanked him quick, I think Josh hesitated to do that. I don't see that this season, I think Josh has grown more into the OC job and has a better OC (vice QB coach) relationship with Tommy.

Look at Tom's "body language" earlier in the season.

I think the play calling will be fine, although if BB and Brady get repetitive, there's no reason to expect McDaniels to provide a spark. Everything he knows about Pro Football comes from BB and Brady

The lack of an "uncle" between Brady and BB could hurt us. I think the pure logic of four decent receivers instead of 2 will save us this time.

It's insane to think Branch and Givens were far more talented than the group we have now. If anything, the total lack of competition gave them enough reps to improve rapidly.

I'm OK with Brady making route & protection adjustments and audibles and such. But there needs to be an offensive coordinator who is responsible for designing an offensive game plan and calling plays to carry out such game plan. I guess for me the bottom line is, I wouldn't think twice about Branch, McGinest, Vinateiri, Givens, etc., leaving, but I do miss Charlie Weis. There's something about Charlie. Playcalling the last year+ hasn't been the same, IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back