PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Parcells-Belichick comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In this weeks Sporting News there was a little item on Parcells retiring.

They had a chart showing his record with and without BB.

With BB for 12 seasons 117W's 73 l's 1 T Three SB's with two wins. Four other playoff appearances.

Without BB 7 seasons 55W's 57L's 2 playoff appearances with 0 wins.

I found this interesting because before our first SB win I was always getting the "Tuna is God" thing from relatives and friends. Don't hear that anymore since 2002.

Yeah I always thought it was amazing how we never realized that Belichick was the man behind the scenes until recently. Parcells has never won anything without Belichick and as we all know Belichick has won plenty without Parcells.

Yeah I always thought it was amazing how we never realized that Belichick was the man behind the scenes until recently. Parcells has never won anything without Belichick and as we all know Belichick has won plenty without Parcells.

I'd say that's misleading. Parcells has turned around the Patriots, the jets and the Cowboys.

You don't have to denigrate Parcells just because BB's better.

Belichick fortunately wants to stay and build for the future, which was another sore point of Parcells.

Bottom line, if my team was in the toilet and needed a quick turnaround I'd hire Parcells.

I'd say that's misleading. Parcells has turned around the Patriots, the jets and the Cowboys.

Belichick fortunately wants to stay and build for the future, which was another sore point of Parcells.

Bottom line, if my team was in the toilet and needed a quick turnaround I'd hire Parcells.

Going by recent records though, now that we know what Sean Payton and Eric Mangini have done to turnaround their teams, would you still go with Parcells if if one or both of them were available?

Going by recent records though, now that we know what Sean Payton and Eric Mangini have done to turnaround their teams, would you still go with Parcells if if one or both of them were available?

You go for youth man. Parcells got old. Football knowledge doesn't get better with age, it gets forgotten, stale, and predictable.

Would i go with a proven track record over guys that have done it one year? Yes.

That doesn't mean those two won't be great.

Why not put Parcell's record over his entire career against the average coach?

Obviously, Parcells is washed up, so there isn't a comparison in that regard.

A fair choice, but using Cleveland as an example, I'd say Parcell's protege wasn't necessarily bad with turn-arounds himself. If other factors are equal, I'd prefer Belichick's team-builder over Parcell's patch & play.

Agreed. In all fairness, Parcells took us from 2-14 to 10-6 in two years while Belichick was in Cleveland. He built the nucleus of the '96 team without BB, and many of those players were the same key vets that the current dynasty was built around.

I think Parcell's decline can be attributed to age and a changing league. The same think will happen to Belichick one day.

Agreed. In all fairness, Parcells took us from 2-14 to 10-6 in two years while Belichick was in Cleveland. He built the nucleus of the '96 team without BB, and many of those players were the same key vets that the current dynasty was built around.

I think Parcell's decline can be attributed to age and a changing league. The same think will happen to Belichick one day.

How do you know that? The record on Parcells is there to see. BB's record without Parcells is also there to see. There is no indication that BB will "slip" as he gets older- none at all.

If you have read Education of a Coach or even Patriot Reign, I don't know how you could make that statement.

Belichick has been instrumental in changing the league,much like Paul Brown was. He didn't win because he had great players,he won because he knew how to make good players great. That quality is rare and will never decline.

I don't understand how you people can claim Parcells never won without Belichick when we all know that Belichick himself has never won without Brady.

Clearly the way to look at this is that Belichick is incapable of greatness without either Parcells or Brady.

Another similar tread is that Belichick has never consistantly won unless his teams incorporate the color blue into their uniform. Consequently we must allow that Belichick would have accomplished nothing without the color blue.

I don't care how many teams Parcells has turned around.

The fact remains that he has been to 3 Superbowls and 1 AFC Championship game...all with Belichick as his defensive coordinator.

Without Belichick....nothing.

Belichick has been to 3 Superbowls....all without Parcells.

You tell me, who needs who?

Belichick has been instrumental in changing the league,much like Paul Brown was. He didn't win because he had great players,he won because he knew how to make good players great. That quality is rare and will never decline.

so true.......... BB can "coach them up"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey