Welcome to PatsFans.com

Interesting Opinionated Biased Piece Regarding Israel/Hezbollah

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jul 24, 2006.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,993 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

This article is written by Alan Dershowitz(Jewish) on JPOST.Com .(Jewish site)...however, Alan brings up some very valid points that would entice any discussion. I'll post quotes from interesting paragraphs as opposed to quotes explaining the piece. I mean, it's his opinion...like ours...you take it how you see it...so I don't post this to say everyone should see it like him...that's rather impossible.

Post as you wish but I was hoping perhaps some could put a response next to each quote as opposed to commenting on the entire article? If you have time of course. Your chance to make Dershowitz do the answering for a change.:rolleyes: I might collate the responses (no names) and e-mail it to him...just an idea...maybe a bad one...when nobody responds...you know your idea S#cks. :D

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1153291973626&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

2. pats-blue

pats-blue Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Quote:
    There is one variable that could change this dynamic and present democracies with a viable option that could make terrorism less attractive as a tactic: The international community, the anti-Israel segment of the media and the so called "human rights" organizations could stop falling for this terrorist gambit and acknowledge that they are being used to promote the terrorist agenda.
    My main complaint also...however it's free speech and that is valuable also.

That is one of the best of a well written article IMO. It is amazing that the smae people that blow up innocent women and children in a market or a bus shout outrage when one of thier own is killed as a result of actual military action instead of a "suicide bomb". Then the media gobbles whatever they say as gospel and reprint it to further the terrorist agenda.

3. BruschiOnTap

BruschiOnTap On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Hizbullah and Hamas provocations against Israel once again demonstrate how terrorists exploit human rights and the media in their attacks on democracies.
    By hiding behind their own civilians the Islamic radicals issue a challenge to democracies: Either violate your own morality by coming after us and inevitably killing some innocent civilians, or maintain your morality and leave us with a free hand to target your innocent civilians. This challenge presents democracies such as Israel with a lose-lose option, and the terrorists with a win-win option.

Terrorism/counter-insurgency is sometimes the only way a group can get attention or be taken seriously when diplomatic efforts break down. Just because a group resorts to terrorism doesn't mean its desires aren't valid. What about the Boston Tea Party? This was forcing a democracy to choose between maintaining its morals or encouraging more free-for-all behavior. Was Sinn Fein/the IRA wrong to demand Irish independence???

Quote:
    There is one variable that could change this dynamic and present democracies with a viable option that could make terrorism less attractive as a tactic: The international community, the anti-Israel segment of the media and the so called "human rights" organizations could stop falling for this terrorist gambit and acknowledge that they are being used to promote the terrorist agenda.
    My main complaint also...however it's free speech and that is valuable also.

They could stop falling for it but then how would a free people fight against oppression/injustice??? If states would actually talk to these groups and not marginalize them in the first place then maybe they would not feel a need to resort to terrorism(?) They are not acting out of an innate sense of 'evil.'

Quote:

IT SHOULD BE obvious by now that Hizbullah and Hamas actually want the Israeli military to kill as many Lebanese and Palestinian civilians as possible. That is why they store their rockets underneath the beds of civilians; why they launch their missiles from crowded civilian neighborhoods and hide among civilians. They are seeking to induce Israel to defend its civilians by going after them among their civilian "shields." They know that every civilian they induce Israel to kill hurts Israel in the media and the international and human rights communities. They regard these human shields as shahids - martyrs - even if they did not volunteer for this lethal job. Under the law, criminals who use human shields are responsible for the deaths of the shields, even if the bullet that kills them came from the gun of a policeman.

An accusation with little/no factual evidence. FYI, Gilad Shalit was a soldier, the two Palestinian farmers captured before him were civilians. What about that Mr. Dershowitz?

Quote:

The very idea that terrorists who use women and children as suicide bombers against other women and children shed crocodile tears over the deaths of civilians they deliberately put in harm's way gives new meaning to the word "hypocrisy." We all know that hypocrisy is a tactic of the terrorists, but it is shocking that others fall for it and become complicit with the terrorists.
    Let the blame fall where it belongs: on the terrorists who deliberately seek to kill enemy civilians and give their democratic enemies little choice but to kill some civilians behind whom the terrorists are hiding. Those who condemn Israel for killing civilians - who are used as human shields and swords for the terrorists - actually cause more civilian deaths and make it harder for Israel to withdraw from the West Bank.

Or Israel could wise up and stop the killing, taking moral high ground and exposing this strategy to the international community. Oh yeah, OJ was innocent too, but you got your paycheck.

4. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nothing like the moral relativists coming out to play.

You forgot to say the catch-phrase "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter"

Allah Ackbar b!tches!

5. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,993 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

You can say that again.

6. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow. I actually agree with something Alan Dershowitz has written. Hell must be freezing over.

7. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,993 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

I thought it was extremley well written article that pretty much summed up the Jewish view. He gives much opinion that leads to some good debate. The guy is a brain...but he can be a obnoxious at times so I was cautious to post it.

8. Mainefan

Mainefan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I agree--he's frequently obnoxious. But he demonstrates that you can be correct and obnoxious simultaneously.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006