PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting offseason cuts around the league thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
LaConfora is predicting that the Raiders will cut Darrius Heyward-Bey. He would be a nice addition to stretch the field.

Right now, I don't see Welker, Vollmer or Talib returning. The cuts around the league will provide cheaper alternatives. Which,I guess, may leado any of those 3 returning at airier deals.

Those with better hands than Heyward-Bey include:

th

th

th

Pete Gray is a terrific story of achievement, btw, although the post-MLB part didn't go well.

i would be pretty happy if we got nnamdi i watched the E60 on him the other day and he seems like a great guy and is very talented i hope he could rebound for us

Dallas is something like 15 million over the cap. Miles Austin a possibility? Injury prone but I also think Romo leads his receivers into blindside collisions over the middle.

The Titus Young cut was expected. The blood bath in the Jets' organization that will come within the next week or two will be expected. I am waiting for the surprises.

lol, i would love to see him go to the Jets and continue their path of self destruction

The potential cap casualties of Asomugha and Heyward-Bey are appealing if they come in cheap. Asomugha is a grade A person off the field, maybe new scenery and strictly man coverage across Dennard would resurrect his game. Regarding Bey, WRs that are 6'2 and run 4.3 forties don't grow on trees.

Asomugha-32 years old, the biggest FA bust in the last 5 years, would he be in the 3-4 million range?

Heyward-Bey-26 years old, a near bust with two decent years. 2-3 mil range?

The potential cap casualties of Asomugha and Heyward-Bey are appealing if they come in cheap. Asomugha is a grade A person off the field, maybe new scenery and strictly man coverage across Dennard would resurrect his game. Regarding Bey, WRs that are 6'2 and run 4.3 forties don't grow on trees.

Asomugha-32 years old, the biggest FA bust in the last 5 years, would he be in the 3-4 million range?

Here's the thing with DHB.....

Per ESPN:

2012 - 80 targets, 41 receptions
Career - 300 targets 140 receptions

Darrius Heyward-Bey Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - Oakland Raiders - ESPN

So, he's 50/50, at best, to catch the balls you throw his way. How long do you think it would be before Brady stopped looking for the guy?

Asomugha is a big yes for that kind of money.

Heyward Bey is a big no. There are rookies coming out that probably run better routes than Bey and have more football smarts in their pinky. Write a 7 with your finger on his chest and he'll f that up too.

Per ESPN:

Darrius Heyward-Bey Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - Oakland Raiders - ESPN

So, he's 50/50, at best, to catch the balls you throw his way. How long do you think it would be before Brady stopped looking for the guy?

Ok, that's really rough.....you weren't kidding about his hands...

My thoughts on DHB are my same thoughts on Titus Young (before he got claimed), a possible cheap 3/4 WR. Like you say, he would never be a main fixture since Brady wouldn't trust him. Think of all the snaps Branch got throughout the season, including the AFCCG, where the defense could put their 3rd CB on him and not have to worry about a thing.

The Ravens definitely don't feel as comfortable leaving Chykie Brown on an island on the outside vs. Bey like every team did vs. Branch's corpse. Although with a less than 50% catch to target rate, he'd probably drop the bomb anyway. :D I want our 3/4th WRs in the playoffs to be atleast something, not Branch and Slater. Hopefully that comes in the form of a 1st/2nd round rookie and a cheap FA.

Rumor is ChampBailey is also a potential cap casualty..

Talib will be competing against some big name CBs in FA..

Bey is the antithesis of what the Patriots look for in receivers. Runs bad-mediocre routes and is completely unreliable as a pass catcher. We have Tom Brady, not Joe Flacco. We can do better than the whole "close your eyes and throw it as deep as you can" strategy.

Asomougha hasn't been nearly as bad as people like to suggest. Numbers say he is playing better than he was in Oakland, statistically. It's just that the Eagles as a whole have been mediocre to awful on defense.

And even if Asomougha were as bad as people have said, he has a history of being elite, has great size, character and was on an underachieving team. He would be given the benefit of the doubt and paid more on a gamble by some team looking for a #1 corner.

Per ESPN:

Let's be fair to DHB. He didn't exactly have Brady throwing to him. He had the following QBs:

JaMarcus Russell. Bruce Gradkowski. Charlie Frye. Jason Campbell. Kyle Boller and Carson Palmer throwing to him.

That being said. I am fairly certain that people would be going ballistic every game because of DHBs dropsies.. He actually makes Terrell Owens look like Marvin Harrison..

Rumor is ChampBailey is also a potential cap casualty..

Talib will be competing against some big name CBs in FA..

If that ends up true, pass. He's a HOF but he's nearly cooked at this point. I agree though, the more names in the CB market the better.

Vanden Bosch has really tailed off the past season or two, and has a cap hit of over 10 million for 2013.

The other 2 may be possibilities.

you obviously can't claim him, but what if he was our annual over the hill de signing for small dough?

There are some really intriguing cuts out there that could have a gret impact on this team.

I have been saying for a while i wanted a vet (who can play) on this team to help out the young guys in the secondary. Getting Baily or Asomougha could be a very good thing.

Look i don't expect them to make the pro bowl, but are they better than arrington? probably. Could they lend some wisdom to McCourty and Dennard et al? Definitely.

Would probably help the secondary's communication as well while they are here.

This all depends on what happens out of the Talib deal as well.

you obviously can't claim him, but what if he was our annual over the hill de signing for small dough?

I would be for it myself, but since he's automatically a free agent now with more than 4 yrs of service, I'd have to guess that some other team would be willing to shell out more money closer to what he'd be looking for.

I think that a 4-3 team could be in the running for Rucker's services too at DE, potentially for less cost; of course you'd be losing some talent on the pure pass rushing angle though in comparison to Vanden Bosch.

It'll be these kinds of signings though that could likely affect the teams depth and competition in a positive way, and you never know when a player like that would step up again and prove his worth. It's probably just about the potential cost. Of course we haven't done all that well lately with those kinds of signings either, aside from maybe Carter and Anderson in 2011.

Bey is the antithesis of what the Patriots look for in receivers. Runs bad-mediocre routes and is completely unreliable as a pass catcher. We have Tom Brady, not Joe Flacco. We can do better than the whole "close your eyes and throw it as deep as you can" strategy.
My 'like' button isn't working, so I'll let you know-- I love this paragraph so much.

Asomougha hasn't been nearly as bad as people like to suggest. Numbers say he is playing better than he was in Oakland, statistically. It's just that the Eagles as a whole have been mediocre to awful on defense.

And even if Asomougha were as bad as people have said, he has a history of being elite, has great size, character and was on an underachieving team. He would be given the benefit of the doubt and paid more on a gamble by some team looking for a #1 corner.
That strategy has won 3 of the last 6 Superbowls.

Frostee Rucker, Kyle Vanden Bosch, and Steven Peterman were all cut..

Haven't heard much of Peterman (OG) since LSU, is he worth looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes