PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting offseason cuts around the league thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
why don't people think they will spend on CBs/DBs this year? We have cap space and is our biggest need next to WR. They need a impact player. And have to spend to get it. Anyone that wants an impact players has to spend and we have the $$

I see this year as the 07 of the DBs like it was the year for numerous big time WRs

A couple of thoughts come to mind:

-Belichick typically has not chosen to pay big money at the position of CB. Maybe it's his philosophy, maybe it's a coincidence? He prefers to draft those CBs and to try to have a deeper corps at the secondary positions themselves. The problem is that lately that has not worked due to inadequate play at the safety position, and due to one of his top young CB's being injured 2 years in a row. Despite what people here on the board feel about Dowling, Belichick and Kraft picked him at #33 overall for a reason, and they expected him to contribute more both years.

-There are 2 realistic ways to approach the secondary, the draft and free agency. We don't know if he'd rather choose to take a player like Desmond Trufant (or player of your choice), Elam, etc in the draft or prefer to pay in the free agency market. My guess is that he'd prefer to get the player on the cheap. He may however choose to do both, or he could simply take a draftee or two and add a reasonably to higher priced 5-6-7 million dollar a year player also. That would be my choice. Ir would also be Belichick's version of "spending big" at the same time.

-Just because we have cap space doesn't mean that they are going to change their philosophy of assessing the individual specifics of a player in the typical "value" pattern that Belichick has always chosen. In other words, maybe they don't see anyone worth their asking price. In my opinion you better be a hell of a player to warrant 8-9 million a year. We see overpriced free agents that they don't even blink at every single year.

-They may also want to use some of that money to sign several of our own, to carry 6-8-10 million or so into next year's cap again (although not all of that money will come from the current 24 million pool, some of it may), and they also may even want to re-sign one or two of our future players on top of that.

We saw all of the GM exercises with the 24 million. Once you take away 4 for the rookie pool and another 6-7 for Welker you're already down to 13-14 remaining. If they want to re-sign some of Arrington, Edelman, Woodhead, Thomas etc then you'd likely be down to about 9-10 pretty quickly (assuming a combination of two or three of those players).

Out of that 9-10 million we'd still need a veteran OT, a replacement CB (or two), a pass rusher, and a guy or two on the defensive line. That isn't even bringing up a WR or two.

They need a impact player. And have to spend to get it. Anyone that wants an impact players has to spend and we have the $$

I'm not trying to be a **** at all, but when have you known that to be Belichick's philosophy? He has made some moderately higher free agent moves before with Colvin and Thomas, but typically those moves are few and far between.

He preys on the better priced value players, and through the draft. I'm not saying he won't go out and pay big money to a CB, but I would be surprised at the same time. His version of a big priced CB/DB will be that 5-6 million range, which is still pretty high when you think about it.

I see this year as the 07 of the DBs like it was the year for numerous big time WRs

Keep in mind that if you're talking about our moves at WR in 2007, both Welker and Moss were lower priced signings. Belichick gave up draft picks, but got them both for cheap. Those are the kinds of moves that he needs to make in the cap era, especially the flat cap era that is going on now.

Nnamdi to be cut today or tomorrow. Get on it BB and tell Talib to take a hike.

Not quite a cut but a potential one on the horizon:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
Broncos like pass rusher Elvis Dumervil, but not at $12M/year. They are seeking a lower deal, and situation could end up with his release...

Broncos like pass rusher Elvis Dumervil, but not at $12M/year. They are seeking a lower deal, and situation could end up with his release...

Doom is a little overrated

Nnamdi makes a lot of sense. Similar corner in style to the ones Bill has been looking for lately. I'd inquire whether we retain Talib or not.

i still don't see nnamdi here...don't know why

Nice. We might be able to sign him to a reasonable contract.

Nnamdi makes a lot of sense. Similar corner in style to the ones Bill has been looking for lately. I'd inquire whether we retain Talib or not.

My take is Nnamdi is a similar player as Talib. A great man to man/press corner that is bad in zone. Nnamdi however offers better durability, character, and price.

$12 million in actual salary.
$13.6 million towards the 2013 salary cap.
$8.7 million savings if cut.

If Dumervil refuses the pay cut, then I would think that he will be released. Tough to justify those numbers.

David Akers got the axe.....

His 2012 season began by shtoinking a record-tying 63-yard field goal off the crossbar at Lambeau Field. His season has ended by being shtoinked off the roster.

As expected, the 49ers have announced that Akers have been cut.

Niners give Akers the boot | ProFootballTalk

The Niners cut Akers. The only thing interesting about this is that they took so long.

So I'm gearing the Broncos could cut Dumervil if he doesn't take a pay cut.

If this happens, any interest in going after him??

The Chiefs are cutting RT Eric Winston, a big signing of theirs from last year. Could have ripple effects for Volmer.

The Chiefs are cutting RT Eric Winston, a big signing of theirs from last year. Could have ripple effects for Volmer.

How did he play in first year of the big contract?

How did he play in first year of the big contract?

I admittedly didn't watch many Chiefs games but I think he played well. I believe I saw on Twitter that he was ranked #3 RT in the league, which may have an a PFF article. Not sure.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. Perhaps someone else has a better perspective.

I admittedly didn't watch many Chiefs games but I think he played well. I believe I saw on Twitter that he was ranked #3 RT in the league, which may have an a PFF article. Not sure.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. Perhaps someone else has a better perspective.

Thanks. Maybe he could be a cheaper alternative to the people nervous about leaving the job to Cannon, or at least drive Vollmers price down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes