PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting nugget from '04 regarding BB/Floyd Reese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Floyd has no input in the draft or any player personnel matters by all accounts. He was hired to lighten the load on a young player personnel exec working his way into Pioli's shoes to basically handle contract negotiations. He also lost control in Tennessee in a power play between himself, Fisher and that wacko absentee owner...not to mention royally screwed up their cap for a time and in the end managed to help build a perenial disappointing teaser. In 16 seasons as it's HC Fisher has had just 6 seasons over .500/. Reese's total was 4 in 12 before he was fired in 2007. Both got credit for some spectacular drafting that turned out to be anything but... I've never understood the fascination for either.

Grand opening, grand closing.

Floyd has no input in the draft or any player personnel matters by all accounts. He was hired to lighten the load on a young player personnel exec working his way into Pioli's shoes to basically handle contract negotiations. He also lost control in Tennessee in a power play between himself, Fisher and that wacko absentee owner...not to mention royally screwed up their cap for a time and in the end managed to help build a perenial disappointing teaser. In 16 seasons as it's HC Fisher has had just 6 seasons over .500/. Reese's total was 4 in 12 before he was fired in 2007. Both got credit for some spectacular drafting that turned out to be anything but... I've never understood the fascination for either.

Agreed on the numbers but I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that BB absolutely queries Reese on personnel evaluations. This article seems to intimate it further.

Patriots Senior Adviser Floyd Reese Gives His Drafting Two Cents - Pats Pulpit

I still give Reese a lot of credit for re-building an old Houston Oilers/Jack Pardee team to a back-to-back 13-3 team and consistient playoff team up to the mid 2000s. If you look at TN's 2008 team, most of Reese's draftees were still with the team. No question he lost the political battle with Fisher but I wonder just how much their cap problems were actually his doing as Adams has a track record of being a tad meddlesome and a jock sniffer to boot.

Last edited:

Reese never had 100% pull in Tennessee. Bud Adams is from the Jerry Jones school of interference management. Fisher is not prone to listening to other people for advice.

I strongly suspect that Reese is deeply involved in the draft; the drafts have radically improved since he arrived....or maybe is just Pioli leaving (although Pioli has done well in KC).

I'm going to side with those who believe Floyd does more than just write contracts.

Floyd has no input in the draft or any player personnel matters by all accounts. He was hired to lighten the load on a young player personnel exec working his way into Pioli's shoes to basically handle contract negotiations.

That was the word put out in his first year here, the Pioli transition draft where 90% of the evaluation was done before he arrived. But I got the impression that Floyd was plenty involved in all phases this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back