PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting note about Jets Salary Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget those 3, I'm talking about Favre. Did you see that quale he tossed up there that luckily found it's way into the endzone. How many times do you think he's going to do stuff like that? Alot, watch out when you start playing real teams and real defenses, the picks will start rolling in. He's old, he's on the 17th hole looking at 18. He's the here and now and if you don't do it this year, what make you think Brett could do it for you next year when he's a year older ? Not to mention the draft pick he's going to cost you and the fact that you have no QB on the horizon.

Exactly the problem there. That O-Line better be monster at Run Blocking. Favre got stopped by the giants. So did we, but way different circumstances.

They got lucky. Brett got careless. He does that a lot.

Scarier is that at least one of your receivers is p!ssed about having sudden, glaring discomfort with the QB.

Anyway, watch this and listen to Brett's reaction to the magic pass. That would make me VERY uncomfortable. He shoulda kept his trap shut.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter;jsess...=29557&season=2008&displayPage=tab_gamecenter

Now regarding Faneca, I agree. You've got easily two years of good production coming. In fact I really don't think the moves are as mental as some would say. New York needs a Championship run, not just to save the Coach's job, but to keep solid fan interest. These high profile signings will keep the seats full unless you guys hit game nine with only a couple of W's in the bank (pretty unlikely).

Last edited:
BY the way you are a terrible troll on ganggreen who says random incorrect **** then runs. Maybe if you actually tried to post w/o being insulting you would get better results like the regular pats fans who I see post and no one has any issue with.

For your post, tell me how Calvin Pace, Kris Jenkins, and Damien Woody are players only built for today. I will concede Faneca even though I think he has 3 good years in him.
I agree that trolls are trolls, and their behavior is to be despised.

I also agree that Damien Woody is not a player built for today. He is a player built for yesterday. Or last week. But not today. No, not today.

I also agree that Damien Woody is not a player built for today. He is a player built for yesterday. Or last week. But not today. No, not today.

Hehe. Spacecrime, I love your sarcasm, even when it's being shot my way.

Your prediction on Jenkins involves no tangible instead is just your wishful thinking. Based on what will he fade? he still has weight clauses in his deal to keep weight down, and he is only 29. 3-4 NT's can play forever.

Jenkins is notorious for packing on the winter coat ask John Fox

Gholston had a good first game, he almost had 2 sacks and he had a couple of pressures. He had a hand on Pennington when he had the ball. For a rookie learning a new position I would give him a B for game one. It would have been ridiculous if we traded and to have the pats them scoop up a player with immeasureables through the roof.

Gholston had a good game huh? He was as stiff as a frozen 2x4 in January and did squat against inferior linemen the entire preseason. He ALMOST had 2 sacks against rookie Jake Long who he's very familiar with anyway, wait til he finally goes against EXPERIENCED stud LT's that he'll have to face regularly going forward

Brett Favre = Top 5 QB? right now no matter how much any of you guys try to keep throwing dirt on him. It was a 4th and 13 in which he threw that duck. With a kicker we take the points. He threw it b/c there was no down side. Who gives a crap if it gets picked?

Brett Favre = Top 5 QB, ok, drop the green KoolAid chief and take a knee, I'll be with you shortly

Last edited by a moderator:
For your post, tell me how Calvin Pace, Kris Jenkins, and Damien Woody are players only built for today. I will concede Faneca even though I think he has 3 good years in him.

Nothing wrong with Pace, just questions about the size of the contract. I actually like Bryan Thomas so investing huge money in Pace and Gholston seemed excessive.

Faneca has logged a lot of snaps but doesn't have an injury history that I'm aware of. I can see the investment in him, especially with Mangold and Ferguson flanking him. They are still developing and Faneca can only help that along.

Woody has also logged a lot of snaps but has shown signs of breaking down. He is a stop-gap and is keeping the RT spot warm for the next guy...whoever that is. If he can stay on the field this year and play steady, they should feel pretty fortunate.

Jenkins is a timebomb. Enjoy him while you can. After being hurt for a couple of years, he fell completely out of shape and lost any kind of consistent level of play. The Panthers couldn't get rid of him fast enough. He will tease you with some 1st half plays but you won't see him doing much in the 4th quarter. If the Jets win, it won't matter. If they start to lose by giving up late drives to lose leads, the bullseye will eventually fall right on Jenkins.

Pace and Faneca are fine players that cost big money to get, but should be around for a while and produce. Woody and Jenkins shouldn't be a part of any long-term plans for the Jets...but I'm not sure that they are anyway.

that was a good one:D

Gholston had a good game huh? He was as stiff as a frozen 2x4 in January and did squat against inferior linemen the entire preseason. He ALMOST had 2 sacks against rookie Jake Long who he's very familiar with anyway, wait til he finally goes against EXPERIENCED stud LT's that he'll have to face regularly going forward
so he gets 0 credit b/c it was a rookie LT? Im pretty sure you do not know where Gholston lined up on the plays where he got his numerous pressures and nears sack.
Brett Favre = Top 5 QB, ok, drop the green KoolAid chief and take a knee, I'll be with you shortly
Name me 5 better, I will even let you include Brady

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Pace, just questions about the size of the contract. I actually like Bryan Thomas so investing huge money in Pace and Gholston seemed excessive.
agreed
Faneca has logged a lot of snaps but doesn't have an injury history that I'm aware of. I can see the investment in him, especially with Mangold and Ferguson flanking him. They are still developing and Faneca can only help that along.
agreed as well
Woody has also logged a lot of snaps but has shown signs of breaking down. He is a stop-gap and is keeping the RT spot warm for the next guy...whoever that is. If he can stay on the field this year and play steady, they should feel pretty fortunate.
I think we can get 3 years out of him personally. I have loved what I have seen from the guy. He is adequate in pass blocking and great in run blocking. that is what I have observed in presason and week one

Jenkins is a timebomb. Enjoy him while you can. After being hurt for a couple of years, he fell completely out of shape and lost any kind of consistent level of play. The Panthers couldn't get rid of him fast enough. He will tease you with some 1st half plays but you won't see him doing much in the 4th quarter. If the Jets win, it won't matter. If they start to lose by giving up late drives to lose leads, the bullseye will eventually fall right on Jenkins.
It was 110 degrees on the field. The dolphins who are a good running team were held in check for the entire game and the biggest reason for that is Jenkins. Anyone would have worn down in those conditions and it was obvious that is what happened to our D. He is a guy when motivated can be a domionant force and right now he is motivated. The guy wanted to win and thats why he wanted out of Carolina not vice versa. He voiced his opinion numerous times in the locker room that they were not committed to winning. He has played 16 games the last two years so injury concerns have not been an issue recently. He has lowered his weight to 355, Jon Gruden personally thanked Mangini for getting this guy out of the division. He has all the ability of the world and he seems to be playing with a chip on his shoulders.

Pace and Faneca are fine players that cost big money to get, but should be around for a while and produce. Woody and Jenkins shouldn't be a part of any long-term plans for the Jets...but I'm not sure that they are anyway.
I will concede Woody but why Jenkins? He is 29, Ted Washington was highly effective at the age of 34.

Last edited:
so he gets 0 credit b/c it was a rookie LT? Im pretty sure you do not know where Gholston lined up on the plays where he got his numerous pressures and near sacks.

Hey, K-Ro: I'm not having any luck finding the "near sacks" stat on NFL.com

Can you hook me up with a link? ;)

Hey, K-Ro: I'm not having any luck finding the "near sacks" stat on NFL.com

Can you hook me up with a link? ;)

II think your being sarcastic but I gathered this information from watching Jets Phins on NFl Network rewind and even when I watched the game the first time I observed he was collapsing the pocket and was within a hair of a couple of sacks. He was also not give .5 a sack on a sack credited to shaun ellis. He at least got to the QB one time confirmed;):

09000d5d80a96ec4_gallery_600.jpg

Name me 5 better (than Favre), I will even let you include Brady
Here's five: Brady, Manning, Brees, Romo, Roethlisberger.

Here's five more: Palmer, Rivers, Hasselbeck, Cutler, Garrard

Favre belongs among the next five, with Warner, Bulger, Delhomme and Anderson.

II think your being sarcastic but I gathered this information from watching Jets Phins on NFl Network rewind and even when I watched the game the first time I observed he was collapsing the pocket and was within a hair of a couple of sacks. He was also not give .5 a sack on a sack credited to shaun ellis. He at least got to the QB one time confirmed;):

09000d5d80a96ec4_gallery_600.jpg

Yeah, I was being sarcastic.
He'll catch up. He'd likely be blossoming in a better coaching situation (no offense... kind of).

I never wanted us to get Gholston, I was rooting for McKelvin. Can't say I'm disappointed with Mayo, though.

It was 110 degrees on the field. The dolphins who are a good running team were held in check for the entire game and the biggest reason for that is Jenkins. Anyone would have worn down in those conditions and it was obvious that is what happened to our D. He is a guy when motivated can be a domionant force and right now he is motivated. The guy wanted to win and thats why he wanted out of Carolina not vice versa. He voiced his opinion numerous times in the locker room that they were not committed to winning. He has played 16 games the last two years so injury concerns have not been an issue recently. He has lowered his weight to 355, Jon Gruden personally thanked Mangini for getting this guy out of the division. He has all the ability of the world and he seems to be playing with a chip on his shoulders.

I will concede Woody but why Jenkins? He is 29, Ted Washington was highly effective at the age of 34.

I live in Raleigh so have seen quite a few Panthers games. Jenkins can say what he wants about the organization but nobody (Players, coaches and fans) was sad to see him go. Not because he isn't talented, but because he wasn't giving the consistent effort the team needed.

That being said, there is nothing stopping Jenkins from getting in shape and giving top effort at all times. If he can do that, the Jets will have a player. I can only go with what I saw for the last 2 years and it wasn't pretty. Just make sure that chip on his shoulder is fat-free...

Here's five: Brady, Manning, Brees, Romo, Roethlisberger.

Here's five more: Palmer, Rivers, Hasselbeck, Cutler, Garrard

Favre belongs among the next five, with Warner, Bulger, Delhomme and Anderson.

The first five given I will take even though a great argument can be made against Big Ben. Ben has had one big year, thats it. However give me Favre over Palmer, Rivers, Hasselbeck, Cutler and Garrard. Everyone's opinion on Favre will probably be based off 05 and 06 but you will give little credit to his MVP caliber 07 season or the consistent excellence he had before 05. In 05 and 06 he lost 4 of his 5 o-line men. His 2nd WR at one point was Ruviell Martin, his running game depended on a broken down Ahman Green and Samkon Gado. I say these things b/c I watched the Packers extensively those years b/c my best friend in college was a Packers fan. Packers games would always go something like this: Packers opponent takes early 2 score lead b/c Marquend Manuel would always give up big plays b/c he sucks. The Pack would be trailing late and Favre would have to try to force the issue b/c he had no running game or time to throw.

Rivers: Rivers has a great supporting cast and has never had to carry his team. He has had the best RB, a top 5 o-line and the best TE in football in nearly ever year of his career. He is very good but Favre has won games by himself, I dont think Rivers can say the same.

Garrard: One year in which he was very efficient but not elite. favre was top 5 in MVP voting last year.

Hasselbeck: I really like Hasselbeck and respect him a lot. I take Favre over him but I could go the other way

Palmer: The most overrated QB in the NFL, he has not been the same since his knee injury

Cutler: I love his upside and I think he is a future top 5 QB, however he has not done anything to warrant being over Favre right now

Last edited:
I live in Raleigh so have seen quite a few Panthers games. Jenkins can say what he wants about the organization but nobody (Players, coaches and fans) was sad to see him go. Not because he isn't talented, but because he wasn't giving the consistent effort the team needed.

That being said, there is nothing stopping Jenkins from getting in shape and giving top effort at all times. If he can do that, the Jets will have a player. I can only go with what I saw for the last 2 years and it wasn't pretty. Just make sure that chip on his shoulder is fat-free...

lol at the last sentence and I will take your word over the newspapers I read. So far he has talked the talk and walked the walk.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was being sarcastic.
He'll catch up. He'd likely be blossoming in a better coaching situation (no offense... kind of).

I never wanted us to get Gholston, I was rooting for McKelvin. Can't say I'm disappointed with Mayo, though.
You have nothing to be disappointed in Mayo. he looks flat out like a football player. He aint no Dave Harris tho;)

Last edited:
Getting back to the original topic about the Jets and the salary cap, this link sheds some light. Looks like the Jets will take a $3 million cap hit next season for cutting Pennington.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/

Getting back to the original topic about the Jets and the salary cap, this link sheds some light. Looks like the Jets will take a $3 million cap hit next season for cutting Pennington.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/

Looking at that site I really don't see the Jets having future cap issues. I don't believe they are going to be spending in free agency like that again. They will continue to build through the draft and sign cheap free agents. One of the best things they did which everyone trashed them for was getting Revis under contract for 6 seasons. By then he may be the best corner in football and to have to resign him after year 5 would be difficult.

Looking at that site I really don't see the Jets having future cap issues. I don't believe they are going to be spending in free agency like that again. They will continue to build through the draft and sign cheap free agents. One of the best things they did which everyone trashed them for was getting Revis under contract for 6 seasons. By then he may be the best corner in football and to have to resign him after year 5 would be difficult.

Except that, you know, they didn't.

From nyjetscap.com:

The New York Jets and 1st round selection CB Darrelle Revis agreed on a 6 year contract worth a possible 36 million dollars on August 15, 2007. The deal includes 11 million in guarantees, a signing bonus of $4,700,500, and a roster bonus in 2007 of $333,500. Revis deal voids into a 4 year deal if he plays in 35% of the defenisve snaps in year 1 or 45% in any year thereafter. The Jets can buy back the final two seasons of the deal at 5 million in 2011 and either 9 million, 11 million, or 15 million in 2012 depending on Revis meeting certain incentives. The Jets gave up the rights to use the franchise tag on Revis in either of the voidable years. Revis met the playing time incentives in 2008 to void his deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back