PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Keyshawn Comment from Peter King

Status
Not open for further replies.
BelichickFan said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/03/20/mmqb/3.html

"4. I think Keyshawn Johnson will either play in New England for $2.5 million plus some incentives or he'll work for FOX next fall."

I'm not sure why it's a given that he has no other options besides us.. Or perhaps that's just an indication of his self-set market value and what teams are actually willing to spend on him. If that's the case, he can say hello to Fox, realistically.

SeanBruschi54 said:
I also find it interesting that he is so sure Vrabel and Colvin will be the two OLB next year. Does he know something we dont or just speculating that we could be getting another MLB who knows.
Probably speculation although King is one of the many people Belichick has a good relationship with. As OLB are more expensive than ILB, and Vrabel's skill set is best utilized outside (although he was good inside), it's probably extremely likely unless we go after, and get, an OLB stud like Julian Peterson.

Brownfan80 said:
I'm not sure why it's a given that he has no other options besides us.. Or perhaps that's just an indication of his self-set market value and what teams are actually willing to spend on him. If that's the case, he can say hello to Fox, realistically.
Without going through the teams, we're probably by far the best combination of teams needing a WR and having a good amount of cap space.

Forget about getting Keyshawn now, when Peter King thinks something... It never happens....

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
Probably speculation although King is one of the many people Belichick has a good relationship with. As OLB are more expensive than ILB, and Vrabel's skill set is best utilized outside (although he was good inside), it's probably extremely likely unless we go after, and get, an OLB stud like Julian Peterson.

If you look at the roster right now, I'd say Vrabel and Colvin would have to be the OLB with Bruschi and Beisel at ILB. But I could also see us still going for another OLB or possibly ILB in the draft or FA. But a draft pick, even if it is a 1st rounder, may not be able to start right away in our system.

i noted too this 'particular' from King.

for 2,5 millions should we get him ?

i think we need a veteran but i will prefere Moulds if-when possible...

Did the Seahawks determine they didn't want Keyshawn? I thought they were actually the front runners.

I'll take him. Keyshawn was nothing under Parcells, and I don't see why he'd be any different with BB. He'd be LIKE Givens, but not as productive. Not as good blocker or receiver at this point, but a BIG target, phsyical receiver, etc. I'll gladly take him.

BionicPatriot said:
Keyshawn was nothing under Parcells, and I don't see why he'd be any different with BB. He'd be LIKE Givens, but not as productive.

Huh?

Keyshawn had 71 catches last year. 46 for first downs. 6 TDs.

Givens had 59 catches, 32 for first downs, 2 TDs.

Seems like Keyshawn was productive in Dallas to me. The only concern I would have is giving him a long contract. Something for a couple or three years would probably makes sense. He and Branch would be very nice complementary receivers.

I would be very happy to see Keyshawn Johnson in a Patriot uniform. At 2.5MM it would be huge value versus the overpriced contract for Givens. Kedyshawn, while older, is a better receiver than David Givens.

Last edited:
Evidently, 1050 ESPN radio in NY says Keyshawn is close to signing with the Jets. Personally I still want him but, as I've said before, I think Caldwell, for better or worse, is Givens' replacement and we'll draft someone to be Branch's replacement in the likely event we can't re-sign him. Those two can compete for this year and we'll know what we have, or haven't got, going into next year.

BelichickFan said:
Evidently, 1050 ESPN radio in NY says Keyshawn is close to signing with the Jets. Personally I still want him but, as I've said before, I think Caldwell, for better or worse, is Givens' replacement and we'll draft someone to be Branch's replacement in the likely event we can't re-sign him. Those two can compete for this year and we'll know what we have, or haven't got, going into next year.

I heard this morning, on Mike & Mike ESPN radio, that he's close to signing with the GIANTS.

Looks like one report is as good as another as far as this guy is concerned.

PATSNUTme said:
I heard this morning, on Mike & Mike ESPN radio, that he's close to signing with the GIANTS.

Looks like one report is as good as another as far as this guy is concerned.
Yeah, Giants is what I meant. Sorry. I shouldn't post at 5:30 am ;)

FreeTedWilliams said:
Eli to Keyshawn?
That's Ellie, not Eli :) Not sure that Keyshawn and Burress is a good mix of WR, both in terms of style of personality but we'll see I guess.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
Without going through the teams, we're probably by far the best combination of teams needing a WR and having a good amount of cap space.

And this is why i fully expect to see Eric Moulds begin camp in a Patriots uniform.

As to Meshawn ... if he goes for as low as 2.5, then i'd expect Belioli to pay it, with a smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back