PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting interview with CJ Spiller

I was about to post this. Thanks for doing it.

Nice interview. He comes off as a grounded, humble kid. I've heard that he is deeply religious, and that he used that faith to make his decision to return last year.

One line stands out in the interview. In response to the question "what current NFL running back do you most admire and who do you think you compare favorably to?" Spiller replied : "I like all running backs, every one is different. I will let everyone else compare me to others but each running back is very unique in his own way. I really don’t try to compare myself to others. I’d be a fool to try and compare myself to Chris Johnson because I haven’t played one down in the NFL yet and he’s trying to break the rushing record. I think each individual should try to set their own goals." I thought that was a great response. I would have been sure that he would have played the Chris Johnson comparison, as it's his meal ticket to a top 20 selection.

This kid sounds like he has been drinking the Pats cool aid for years! Wow! Amazing!

I like his game more than any other RB in this draft.

Scott Wright: When you get your first NFL paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?
C.J. Spiller: I just want to get the playbook.

Anyone think he's trying almost too hard?

I thought that was a great response. I would have been sure that he would have played the Chris Johnson comparison, as it's his meal ticket to a top 20 selection.

What makes it such a brilliant response is that he does, in fact, suggest Johnson, but cloaks the comparison thickly in humility. That's media savvy of the highest order.

What makes it such a brilliant response is that he does, in fact, suggest Johnson, but cloaks the comparison thickly in humility. That's media savvy of the highest order.

Or more commonly known as "agent" speak.

reminds me of Faulk (Kevin) and would be a good fit in New England.

It doesn't matter what team a player likes, excepting the rare craziness regarding top quarterback picks.

I'd certainly be happy enough if we drafted Spiller, a top rb and kr. However, I suspect that he will be in the 10-15 range, requiring us to use two of our top picks to trade up for him. I might do it, but I don't think Belichick will.

I would like to have him with us next year but pass rusher must be addressed first.
With BB, you never know, do you:)

One of the announcers mentioned Spiller's agent should thank Chris Johnson. He's going to help get Spiller drafted higher than he would in years past. A smaller rb can be a big-time player. I love the way Spiller plays. For a little guy he really finishes his runs and doesn't look to scoot out of bounds like many skat-backs. Solves our kick-off return problem right away and will eventually replace K.Faulk. I think he's gone long before we pick.

One of the announcers mentioned Spiller's agent should thank Chris Johnson. He's going to help get Spiller drafted higher than he would in years past. A smaller rb can be a big-time player. I love the way Spiller plays. For a little guy he really finishes his runs and doesn't look to scoot out of bounds like many skat-backs. Solves our kick-off return problem right away and will eventually replace K.Faulk. I think he's gone long before we pick.

The NFL is a copycat league. The Saints have gone 13-2 with a team built around speed, just like the 1999-2001 Rams teams. And Chris Johnson could rush for 2000 yards this season. Those 2 things will have teams looking for speed everywhere in the draft, and Spiller has more of that than almost anyone this year.

I think Spiller is gone before we pick, too. And I would prefer defense first. But I think Spiller could be a tremendous weapon, and is a legitimate blue chip prospect, and if things ended up that way I wouldn't be upset.

I watched the interview with Spiller right after Clemson beat Kentucky. The kid definitely is down to earth and such. However, he can't speak worth a damn... I had a very hard time understanding what he was saying.. That being said, I can see big things in this kids future.

I agree that what CJ has done will help him but he's not a "little guy" at all. He's a solid 5-11 200.

I'm not in favor of drafting him at all.

Think of our shortcomings....OL blocking, pass rushing, now how is a 200 lb tailback going to change that? Maybe some outside runs, but Maroney is pretty fast, does he make it outside? Our offense is more predictable than a train schedule....i mean lewis was literally calling out the plays we were running! If that doesn't make it through to BB's thick head, I don't know what will. HELLO??? The defense can tell what we're doing?? HELLO???

We need a new OC, DC and then some big relatively agile guys who can play the 3-4. A run stoppind ILB. A couple WRs who are smart enough to learn a playbook. a couple OL who are not tiny midgets like Ohrenberger (great 4th round pick there, heck of a job bill).

Since klinefan is opposed I'm totally in favour of drafting this guy.

Wow, great interview. Much better than Greg Hardy's on the same site. Man I'm so torn. I really want a strongside outside backer and think Hardy could be it, but he definitely has some issues (durability, character)

Since klinefan is opposed I'm totally in favour of drafting this guy.

Exactly. Basically, whatever klinefan says, take the exact opposite and you can know with 100 percent certitude that it'd be a good decision.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back