PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting info about Pats locker room from Breer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually in locker rooms, the veterans police this type of activity. With Wilfork/Bodden having contract issues, Sanders riding the pines and AD doing his best imitation of the invisible man, it really falls to Warren and/or Mayo to have the chat with the youngsters.

It is very sad to see a young veteran like Merriweather playing the fool like that.

The PFW in Progress guys said the same thing, they where shocked by the defensive backs joking around and laughing in the locker room after the Miami game. someone wrote in and made a good point, Pats may have brought in too many okay players from crappy teams who don't view losing as that big a deal because they did so much of it in the past. everyone likes to say "it's good to come here and win" but the flip side is when the team does lose it seems normal for those guys.
This is an excellent point.

The PFW in Progress guys said the same thing, they where shocked by the defensive backs joking around and laughing in the locker room after the Miami game. someone wrote in and made a good point, Pats may have brought in too many okay players from crappy teams who don't view losing as that big a deal because they did so much of it in the past. everyone likes to say "it's good to come here and win" but the flip side is when the team does lose it seems normal for those guys.

I think it's more of an inherent personality trait to take losing so easily. Welker surely wasn't used to winning before he got here, but he has the competitive fire and desire that this team desperately needs as a whole unit.

probably the reason BB brought in seau even though he hasnt played much

probably the reason BB brought in seau even though he hasnt played much
I'm thinking that was part of the reason Seau was brought back as well, but it doesn't sound like he (or anyone else) is doing a whole lot in terms of off the field leadership.

A lot of this is BB's own doing. You pick up guys from losing organizations who have never won anything. Losing is normal for these guys.

You dump all veteran guys during 1 off season and expect rookies and 2nd year players to pick up that slack and know how to be professionals.

Lose your right hand man and OC and replace them with a wide receivers coach and a person who has never called plays before.

A lot of this is BB's own doing. You pick up guys from losing organizations who have never won anything. Losing is normal for these guys.

Like Wes Welker?

You dump all veteran guys during 1 off season and expect rookies and 2nd year players to pick up that slack and know how to be professionals.

Lose your right hand man and OC and replace them with a wide receivers coach and a person who has never called plays before.

Leigh Bodden? I dont think he was laughing and he played for the Lions last year

I was talking about the defensive side. The offense has tons of leaders most of those guys have a sb ring

It was just an example of someone used to losing who doesn't take losing easy. I think there's a certain competitive fire that some players just have and while constant losing may drain that energy, a new team with a history of winning surely should have re-lit that competitive fire. That's assuming that some of these guys once had that competitive desire, maybe these guys just grew up without it. Whatever the case I surely hope they find it sooner rather than later.

Leigh Bodden? I dont think he was laughing and he played for the Lions last year

Leigh Bodden hasnt been here long enough to take the reigns and tell these guys to knock it off and act professional. Its disheartening that Merriweather is one of the guys joking around he should be setting the example.

Wilfork is worried about his contract, Ad has one foot out the door. Who is left to provode that leadership?

Leigh Bodden hasnt been here long enough to take the reigns and tell these guys to knock it off and act professional. Its disheartening that Merriweather is one of the guys joking around he should be setting the example.

Wilfork is worried about his contract, Ad has one foot out the door. Who is left to provode that leadership?

Well generally captains provide that leadership and Wilfork and Mayo are the captains so its up to them. Also, Seau was brought in to provide leadership so its up to him as well

Wilfork is worried about his contract, Ad has one foot out the door. Who is left to provode that leadership
?

Pepper Johnson maybe? The answer is "no one on the team." I am so sick of overrated, overhyped ****y primadonnas like BM--never liked him. BTW, where are guys like Wilfork, Green, and Warren in all this? The entire D was turned over last year, with the exception of guys who have never displayed any leadership whatsoever. You have exactly ONE guy--TBC, who wasn't even on the team last year, showing any sign of leadership or accountability right now. And what happened to Junior? Are all these great defensive players we've brought in just laughing at his schtick?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wilfork is worried about his contract, Ad has one foot out the door. Who is left to provode that leadership
?

Pepper Johnson maybe? The answer is "no one on the team." I am so sick of overrated, overhyped ****y primadonnas like BM--never liked him. BTW, where are guys like Wilfork, Green, and Warren in all this? The entire D was turned over last year, with the exception of guys who have never displayed any leadership whatsoever. You have exactly ONE guy--TBC, who wasn't even on the team last year, showing any sign of leadership or accountability right now. And what happened to Junior? Are all these great defensive players we've brought in just laughing at his schtick?

I honestly think the biggest problem is that the guys who are trying to display leadership qualities (Mayo, TBC) aren't respected by the majority of the defense.

With Mayo, I think its obvious the skill is there, but he doesn't have the resume yet for vets like Burgess or Thomas to view him as their leader.

For TBC, I love his motor and everything he has done with a limited skillset, but on a good team he's a sub-package pass-rusher, and I think that while he is certainly mature, he's too limited in his actual play to put this defense on his back and keep them on track

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sick of overrated, overhyped ****y primadonnas like BM--never liked him.

This is entirely overstated. BM is a young guy, and still pretty immature. That's it. Only issue is, the Patriots are currently lacking the type of veteran leaders who would be able to keep him in line.

This is entirely overstated. BM is a young guy, and still pretty immature. That's it. Only issue is, the Patriots are currently lacking the type of veteran leaders who would be able to keep him in line.

It is overstated, b/c now I'm just pissed at the way things seem to be unraveling (we'll probably knock the sh!te out of the next four teams we play). But I forgot to include Sanders on the list of vets that seem to just be collecting their checks. WTF?

Agreed - Meriweather has tons of talent, and we need him to be a cornerstone for this D. I'd just feel better about his development if he was either turning into an off-the-field leader, or we had somebody like rodney still around to watch over him.

On the field, I don't think anybody is doing a better job right now of leading the team - Whenever anyone makes a big tackle, Meriweather is usually the first guy there to pat him on the head and encourage the team - he just needs to be the same guy off the field that he is on it

As much as I love big Vince, I am putting some of this on his shoulders. He knows the ropes of keeping a young and/or foolish D in check, he watched plenty of Rodney/Vrabel/Bru....etc doing it.

I don't care if he is in a contract year. That's all the more reason to start showing he can lead. There is paying for talent, and paying for talent AND leadership....and if he can't show the leadership let someone else pay him.

Someone throw Burgess out the door and call up Willie and get him in here. I don't care if he is pouring Gatorade on the sidelines, I want him here more than I want that wasted joke of draft picks.

Gee I wish I could be as nonchalant as this team, there'd be a lot less dead hookers I 'll tell you that

Why exactly was Seau brought back? Wasn't he brought back for this?

Or ... does he feel like because he's not playing a lot he's a bit timid in the locker room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots