PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting GBN Mock with Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Hmmm. The more I think about this draft, the more I am coming around to it.

Great Blue North Draft Report

Patriots Picks:

No. 11 (Through Houston) Cameron Jordan DE (Pats trade No. 17 and No. 60)

No. 33 Mike LeShoure RB

No. 35 (Through Cincinnati) Jon Baldwin WR (Patriots trade No. 28 and receive No. 35 and a 4th rounder)

No. 74 Dontay Moch LB

No. 92 Will Rackley G/T

I think this mock is realistic (precombine) in terms of where players come off the board. Interestingly, KC grabs Justin Houston OLB at 27, perhaps prompting the Pats trade down from 28. Cincy grabs Pouncey at 28.

Though I think many will be disappointed with RB and WR at the top of the 2nd round, I think the Pats get good value with these picks. I think I am guilty of over-valuing the OL in this draft because of our need, and I am prone to want to reach in the 1st or 2nd on these positions.

Yes one can argue that there is no need to take an RB that high, and I would agree, but its hard to argue that LeShoure doesn't deserve a late first or high 2nd round grade. I haven't paid much attention to WRs in the draft, but Titus Young and Hankerson are also available instead of Baldwin, if that floats your boat.

The more I think about Dontay Moch OLB in the 3rd round, the more I am coming around to this idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gtsE4RxIt4&feature=related If Moch and Rackley are 3rd round gems (I know that's a big if), then I think this could be an epic draft. I'd also like to take OG/OT Boling and/or OG/C Moffit in the 4th.

Last edited:

Patriots Picks:

No. 33 Mike LeShoure RB

No. 35 (Through Cincinnati) Jon Baldwin WR (Patriots trade No. 28 and receive No. 35 and a 4th rounder)

No. 74 Dontay Moch LB

No. 92 Will Rackley G/T

I think this mock is realistic (precombine) in terms of where players come off the board. Interestingly, KC grabs Justin Houston OLB at 27, perhaps prompting the Pats trade down from 28. Cincy grabs Pouncey at 28.

Though I think many will be disappointed with RB and WR at the top of the 2nd round, I think the Pats get good value with these picks. I think I am guilty of over-valuing the OL in this draft because of our need, and I am prone to want to reach in the 1st or 2nd on these positions.

Yes one can argue that there is no need to take an RB that high, and I would agree, but its hard to argue that LeShoure doesn't deserve a late first or high 2nd round grade. I haven't paid much attention to WRs in the draft, but Titus Young and Hankerson are also available instead of Baldwin, if that floats your boat.

The more I think about Dontay Moch OLB in the 3rd round, the more I am coming around to this idea. YouTube - Dontay Moch vs. Missouri ('09) If Moch and Rackley are 3rd round gems (I know that's a big if), then I think this could be an epic draft. I'd also like to take OG/OT Boling and/or OG/C Moffit in the 4th.

A RB at 33, followed by WR @ 35......Have we not learnt from Maroney and Chad Jackson fiascos ???

Epic Fail mock

A RB at 33, followed by WR @ 35......Have we not learnt from Maroney and Chad Jackson fiascos ???

Epic Fail mock

This logic is seriously flawed, just because Maroney and Jackson were both busts you think that every RB or WR we draft in the 1st 2 rounds will be a bust? If you applied that same logic to the CB position we would not have drafted McCourty in the 1st round last year after drafting Wheatley and Butler in the 2nd round the previous 2 years.

Epic Fail mock

What does that mean? We never take a rb int he first and a wr in the 2nd again?

What your saying is that we should only take MLB and DL in the 1st, OLine in the 2nd, WRs in the 3rd, centers in the forth we can just skip the 5th and take qb in the 6th.

No line help for a line that looks to be losing Neal and maybe Light as well (with Light and Koppen old even if they do return), no OLB help in the first 2 rounds for a group that desperately needs it....I don't see it. I like it because it's different than others, but I see this as pretty unrealistic.

Also I think the team valuing Cameron Jordan as their best pick and their own 2nd round pick as somewhat unrealistic.

Not impressed at all........giving up a 2nd rounder in order to draft Jordan?

Epic fail when you know you can get a guy like Wilkerson at 17 or 28, and can get a guy like Christian Ballard late 2nd or 3rd

Now if they moved up to 11 because Quinn is there, different story

It is bad logic to think every WR and RB picked highly will fail.

That being said, I think these two in particular will fail.

While I wouldn't jump to #11 for Jordan, I do give them credit for identifying the most likely trade partner for the Pats. The Texans need to exit day 2 (before the talent "cliff" in this draft class) with a NT, rush LB, CB and S...and they only have 3 picks to do it. If Amukamara is off the board at #11, they should look to trade down. Getting #17 and #60 would be ideal for them.

Assuming Fairley, Bowers, Green, Peterson, Dareus, Quinn and Amukamara (or Houston would stick and take him) are gone, I wouldn't be tempted to move up to #11. If Dareus or Quinn happened to slip, I would have the Texans on the phone with picks #17 and #60 (and whatever else it would take) in hand.

I would be incredibly worried about the offensive line, I don't think Will Rackey is the missing piece. The offensive and defensive lines are two units I do not want to enter the season with big questions at.

Last edited:
If Jordan is available at 11, I'm not so sure Houston trades that pick. They're transitioning to a 3-4 themselves. Not sure where Mario Williams and Okoye will fit into that D yet, but the Texans may decide to take Jordan if available. But secondary is a huge need, so they'd probably take Amukamara if he's available.

At 12, I've seen some mock drafts have him going to Minnesota but that isn't really a big need. QB and OT are big needs for the Vikings, but Gabbert is probably gone by this point, and probably Newton as well. It's probably too early to take a guy like Mallett, so maybe we could use #74 instead of #60 to jump up and take Jordan if he's available. Minnesota could slide down to #17 and take their QB or their fav OT, and they'd get their 3rd rounder back from us, and we don't lose one of our 2nd rounders.

Detroit picks at 13 and while DE isn't a major need for them, their FO preaches about always taking the best player available, and they've done that over the past two drafts. So if Jordan lasts this long, I don't think he'll slide much farther.

Last edited:

Patriots Picks:

No. 33 Mike LeShoure RB

No. 74 Dontay Moch LB

No. 92 Will Rackley G/T

The more I think about Dontay Moch OLB in the 3rd round, the more I am coming around to this idea. YouTube - Dontay Moch vs. Missouri ('09) If Moch and Rackley are 3rd round gems (I know that's a big if), then I think this could be an epic draft. I'd also like to take OG/OT Boling and/or OG/C Moffit in the 4th.

I really don't see sufficient added value in Jordan over Wilkerson, Watt or Heyward to spend two picks out of the top 60 to go up for him.

RB and WR, sure, but not in the top 100, much less the top 35 (and not Baldwin, who I have my doubts about).

Moch would be a specialty player without a defined role on this team. I might be okay with him in the 5th, but I wouldn't take him while someone like Ahmad Black was still on the board.

I like Rackley - as a supplement to earlier O-line picks - but, by himself, he doesn't begin to cover the need.

Pretty much a fail for me.

This logic is seriously flawed, just because Maroney and Jackson were both busts you think that every RB or WR we draft in the 1st 2 rounds will be a bust? If you applied that same logic to the CB position we would not have drafted McCourty in the 1st round last year after drafting Wheatley and Butler in the 2nd round the previous 2 years.

beat me to it... i keep hearing this on our board... oh maroney and jackson failed we can never pick another rb/wr in the 1st 2 rounds

Anyone wanting a RB or a WR in the first 3 rounds certainly doesnt understand the team needs. Right now Brady has no blindside protection and we have zero pass rush. While I dont see a trade up for a DE with so many good ones there I wouldnt be concerned if it happened. Neither would I object if the top RB(Ingram) dropped to us....but 2 of the first 4 picks should be OL, we need potential starters not JAGS. FAIL.

The recent consensus mock draft has us taking Cameron Jordon at 17 and Baldwin at 28. So I guess moving up is uncalled for but moving 28 to 33 and getting Baldwin there wd be a real plus.

I really don't see sufficient added value in Jordan over Wilkerson, Watt or Heyward to spend two picks out of the top 60 to go up for him.

Have to agree with you Cousin.
I stay where we are unless Quinn or Miller are available. Here is what I like.

I go DE Watt at #17 (rated higher at DE than Jordan by many as a five technique)

At #28 I go RB Ingram. Why? I have a suspicion this guy is like what happened to Curtis Martin prior to the Pats drafting him. Martin was dinged up and his Senior year (Ingrim is a JR) was a negative. I think BGE, Woodhead and Ingram are a great group. Ingram has more pass catching ability than BGE. They weigh about the same. BB will get the straight from Saban.

At #33 I go G Danny Watkins who is more mature and perhaps the most NFL ready O Lineman in the Draft.

Next I trade Merriweather to the Cowboys for their second rounder #40. They need a Safety and Jerry Likes high profile players. Why not Pro Bowler (I don't know about that) Merriweather*? I'd say Sanders because he is CAP heavy but you could not get much more than a 6th.
With #40 I take WR Hankerson**. He looked better than I thought he was. At 6'2" a taller WR AND he seems to have jumping ability and runs patterns well.

At #60 I go OLB Brooks Reed. Non stop, disruptive. can play with his hand off the ground and here is the key, a variety of pass rush moves (might swap Reed and Hankerson).

At #74 I go OT James Carpenter. All SEC and perhaps the most under rated OT in the Draft. Had solid Bowl game.Under the radar 27 strait games at LT.

At #92 I go BB type of pick and go Greg Romeus OLB/DE. He goes about 267 and is 6'5". He was a beast but repaired a disc in his back and then had an ACL in his Senior year. "Had this mighty defensive star from the University of Pittsburgh's 2009 season come out after his junior year, he might have been one of the first five players taken last April.

Today, Romeus is an unknown entity.

Romeus is a man-beast. At 6-7, 285 pounds, he was impressive enough to be named the Big East Defensive Player of the Year in 2009.

He had all the tools. He had the quick feet of a basketball player, and he did play the game well. He had size, quickness, strength, agility".
He might have a first round grade we can get here.

In the fourth round we could go C/G John Moffitt, Can play all O Line slots but target him for Center. A bigger, stronger Center to eventually replace Koppen.

I feel we will get a Comp pick for Watson in the fourth. I use that for S Shiloh Keo from Idaho."Active playmaker who plays with great energy. Team captain in 2009 and 2010 - 5th leading tackler with 61 tackles and 3 INTs in '10 and led team in '09. Special teams captain in 2008. Team MVP in 2007 based on exceptional special teams play (including 100 yard punt return). Shrine Bowl invitee and player very well.
Good sized safety with decent speed who will hit and make plays especially against the run. Has fluid hips and able to cover most TEs and RBs; shows good field awareness and ability to blow-up the play by taking out lead blockers. Can defend ball with either hand and has good catch skills - competetent punt returner".
6' 223 lbs.

I am swapping our fifth to the Bengals for Chad Johnson. Yes, that guy. He will make BB look like a genius for this move for at least a couple years. By them Hankerson** or Price is ready. He have no #1 WR right now, and even Holt said we need two. I think the Tate experiment winds up like Bethel. The 6'1" Chad Johnson becomes the #1 with Branch as a true #2 that he is, and Welker in the slot. Hate him or not he runs solid routes, will catch the ball in a crowd as he still caught 67 passes and 4 TDs with an average over 12 YPC in a very dysfunctional Bengals passing attack (see Team). Still enough speed to go deep? Yes. Long term answer? No. Upgrade on Tate. For sure. Better to put Branch back to #2 where is is more effective.
Main reason? He can get open. He might not be as dart quick as the oft injured Branch, but I feel he has better hands. What are you going to get in the Draft in round 5 in most cases?

The Sixth Rounder I am going CB Richard Sherman of Stanford. A 6' 2" raw CB who is a converted WR (again a multi-position BB type picks). Showed some play making ability. Had an INT in the Senior Bowl (penalty erased it). Can cover taller WRs. Understands route running techniques. Should be smart enough to pick up our defenses from Stanford and an upgrade over Wilhite although that is not saying a lot.

*I do not apologize for being one who likes to add select FAs in 2011. Two I want to make this Draft and personnel better are OLB Manny Lawson who I see as the perfect fit of BB targeted length, he is an excellent coverage OLB and he has good pass rush ability. He started all 16 games but was in a rotation deal.He should be way cheaper than a Woodley would have cost. Lawson is only 26. TBC has a severe CAP number and Lawson is an upgrade. TBC was not a good cover OLB. If we can sign Lawson for TBC type money which is like $4.5m, he is a starter for sure. Now you have Cunningham, Ninkovitch, Eric Moore and Murrell, with Draft picks Reed and Romeus (or DE) and they have some solid pash rush ability.

The other (or I do not make the Trade!!!!!!) is Champ Bailey as a FS. He can play Safety, can still be a top cover guy inside and outside. Can tackle but most of all he makes plays. Our weakness was Safety coverage in the passing game (and rush). Champ can play many positions and has solid experience. He has a few good years left. He could be like a professor in our D backfield with McCourty, Chung and Butler and I know there are a lot of James Sanders fans but he has a $3 million dollar CAP number and they say he aligns our DBs. No question Bailey can take that job.

I change this whole Draft if the Cards will trade Fitzgerald. That would be the ultimate.
DW Toys

Last edited:
This draft was interesting to me because of how the other 5-technique DE, J.J. Watt and Cameron Heyward, fell. Watt lasted until 30, where we could have hypothetically gotten him with 27 had we not traded it in that mock. Heyward lasted until 34, where we could have gotten him with 33 had we not already drafted Jordan. If this happens, IRL we could have three different shots to fill the need at DE. (I see DE, OLB, DB, OL as primary needs.)

Hindsight is 20/20, but that means that in this mock, without the trade down (27 for 35 and a 4th) we could end up with Aldon Smith (at 14), Watt (at 28), and OT Gabe Carimi (33). Or, assuming we trade 28 down to 35, we could end up with Smith (14), Heyward (33), and Carimi or CB Curtis Brown (at 35). Quite the haul.

Standing pat, without trading up, could yield OLB Justin Houston (17), Watt (28), Carimi (33), and CB Rashad Carmichael (60). Or it could yield Watt (17), OG Mike Pouncey (28), LB Martez Wilson(33), and Carmichael (60). I like this cluster best, from a positional standpoint anyways.

Of course, this draft also has two QB taken in the top 5, and four taken in the top 20, which pushes down the 5-technique players. I don't think that's going to happen. Just saying that the DEs are falling far in this one.

Last edited:
This draft was interesting to me because of how the other 5-technique DE, J.J. Watt and Cameron Heyward, fell. Watt lasted until 30, where we could have hypothetically gotten him with 27 had we not traded it in that mock. Heyward lasted until 34, where we could have gotten him with 33 had we not already drafted Jordan. If this happens, IRL we could have three different shots to fill the need at DE. (I see DE, OLB, DB, OL as primary needs.)

Hindsight is 20/20, but that means that in this mock, without the trade down (27 for 35 and a 4th) we could end up with Aldon Smith (at 14), Watt (at 28), and OT Gabe Carimi (33). Or, assuming we trade 28 down to 35, we could end up with Smith (14), Heyward (33), and Carimi or CB Curtis Brown (at 35). Quite the haul.

Standing pat, without trading up, could yield OLB Justin Houston (17), Watt (28), Carimi (33), and CB Rashad Carmichael (60). Or it could yield Watt (17), OG Mike Pouncey (28), LB Martez Wilson(33), and Carmichael (60). I like this cluster best, from a positional standpoint anyways.

Of course, this draft also has two QB taken in the top 5, and four taken in the top 20, which pushes down the 5-technique players. I don't think that's going to happen. Just saying that the DEs are falling far in this one.

A couple of interesting developments.

First Denver is going 4-3 next season.

Second Buffalo is starting to zero in on Cam Newton.

Potentially both are good for us, especially if Denver takes Linguit over Dareus.

Have to agree with you Cousin.
I stay where we are unless Quinn or Miller are available. Here is what I like.
Agree with you 100%.. @ some point we need to address a glaring weakness on our team and these two players have the "it" factor

I go DE Watt at #17 (rated higher at DE than Jordan by many as a five technique)
Some people say Watt technique is lacking and his not good moving side to side.. I think Jordan is the name because of the Senior Bowl.. Its going to be interesting either way and I won't disagree on a DE anyone mentioes.. Give me a couple of weeks and I'll have more data

At #28 I go RB Ingram. Why? I have a suspicion this guy is like what happened to Curtis Martin prior to the Pats drafting him. Martin was dinged up and his Senior year (Ingrim is a JR) was a negative. I think BGE, Woodhead and Ingram are a great group. Ingram has more pass catching ability than BGE. They weigh about the same. BB will get the straight from Saban.

Again i agree with you 100%.. We need a RB bad.. A player we can hand off to when a defense tries to key on Brady..

At #33 I go G Danny Watkins who is more mature and perhaps the most NFL ready O Lineman in the Draft.

Definitely fills a need.. Again I'm not sure about the player but if Pouncey is there, I like him.. When I watched him, I watched a big man with feet make the second level and hold his blocks.

If we talk about Trades, I think out of all our picks, this is the one we trade.. Most of us will be dreaming what the next day brings us :)

Next I trade Merriweather to the Cowboys for their second rounder #40. They need a Safety and Jerry Likes high profile players. Why not Pro Bowler (I don't know about that) Merriweather*? I'd say Sanders because he is CAP heavy but you could not get much more than a 6th.
Not a huge Merriweather fan after this year but the Cowboys won't trade a 2nd for him.. I just don't see it.. While I like your idea of Adding Champ Bailey (later in your post), he's going to command BIG bucks for some team that thinks they are 1 or 2 players away from holding up the trophy.. But again, if the Broncos let him go, I hope the Pats FO is there at midnight talking to him. I agree, let him play FS and take away the slot guy.. Watching Chung play kind of turns my tummy (even though he got better this year)

I am swapping our fifth to the Bengals for Chad Johnson. Yes, that guy. He will make BB look like a genius for this move for at least a couple years. By them Hankerson** or Price is ready.
hmm.. very interesting.. If he keeps his mouth shut, I'd be more inclined to bring him in then a rookie. I think they payoff could be as rewarding as bringing Dillion in..

*I do not apologize for being one who likes to add select FAs in 2011. Two I want to make this Draft and personnel better are OLB Manny Lawson who I see as the perfect fit of BB targeted length, he is an excellent coverage OLB and he has good pass rush ability. He start...
NO apology needed.. A great post!
I'm not to familar with Lawson but he definitely has the size to play our system. I was worried initially reading your post. We didn't address the OLB position opposite of Cunningham.

Hopefully BB and Co will be active this off season in the right areas.

Last edited:
Terrible mock. IMO there only 2 WR that the Patriots would draft that would provide value. Randall Cobb, Kentucky, in Rd. 3/4 or Ryan Whalen, Stanford, in the 6th/7th. I'm also tremendously intrigued by DeAndre Brown, Southern Mississippi. He has tremendous size 6'6" 239 and decent speed. Has great production but has been hampered by injury, very interested to see what he puts up at the combine; I would see the value in taking a flier on him as well, maybe in the 6th/7th round or as an UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes