Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://weei.com/Reading-This-Will-Be-Way-Better-Than-Going-to-a-Ne/2826656

i thought this described how ESPN functions a little bit

Hi Mike,
I loved how you stood up to Trey Wingo Wango (On ESPN the day Matt Walsh testified before the NFL and cleared the Pats of taping the Super Bowl walkthrough). I can’t stand that guy. A lot of those guys at ESPN hate the patriots. I do enjoy Colin Cowherd though.

Take Care,
Spud

A: A lot of people have asked me about that exchange (It’s been taken off you tube. If you’re interested in it, search around. It shouldn’t be too hard to find). I don’t know Wingo. Never met him. Have no problem with him. But it was clear they wanted me to be the spokesman for the paper, and that’s not my job. There's also a little background that's relevant to what happened: Just before the interview, I was on hold with their control room when my call-waiting beeped. It was my editor at the Herald. I clicked over.

“Are you about to go on ESPN and speak on behalf of the Herald?” he asked.

“No, they called and asked if I’d give my opinion on the story,” I answered. “Why?”
“Because they just went to commercial saying you were coming on next to defend the paper and give our position,” he said. “Let me make this clear. You will NOT speak for the paper. Let us handle that.”

“No problem.”

So that was the backdrop. Next thing I knew, 30 seconds later, ESPN put me on air and asked me to speak for the paper. So that was the result. As for ESPN and the national media hating the Pats – yup, that exists. It’s very real. But don’t think it’s just a media thing. League personnel. Opposing team personnel. Operations people. Fans outside of New England. You name it. We’re wearing the black hats. Finally, I agree on Colin, Spud. I thought he was the best guy they had.
aside..i didnt know borges now writes for WEEI.co :eek:

I gotta admit Felger has been pissing me off a lot less recently. Can't pinpoint why. Part of it has to do with the fact that when I see him on CSN or EEI in the morning, I can at least rest assured that they will talk sports, and - no matter his annoying opinions and antagonism - he can guide a sports-related conversation pretty decently.

Plus I gotta give him props for including all the hate mail in the mail bag and not being a total d*ck about it.

Really, when it comes down to it, I'd much rather have Felger on my radio than Dennis or Callahan.

Colin Cowherd is awful.

Not the best guy they had.

Cowherd is awful and the best guy they have. There is no contradiction there.

http://weei.com/Reading-This-Will-Be-Way-Better-Than-Going-to-a-Ne/2826656

i thought this described how ESPN functions a little bit

aside..i didnt know borges now writes for WEEI.co :eek:
Even though Felger is not well liked on this board, I thought what he had to say was an eye opener. It's one thing for fans on a messageboard to give their opinion that espn hates the Pats; it's another when it is a member of the media that indirectly (espn radio) worked with them makes that statement. Add to that the example Felger provided of their underhandedness, and I feel much better about my decision to avoid everything espn (except in dire emergencies - i.e., a Pats or Red Sox game.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes