PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Fact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady played well for 1 half and the second half was kind of brutal.

Manning was brutal for 1 half and his second half was ultimately kind of brutal too...:bricks:

Something is terribly off balance in a life that is so devoted to defending someone else who doesn't know you and couldn't care less about you. You could be wiped off the planet by a horrible disease and if told, Tom Brady wouldn't even interrupt his thought pattern. Think about what you so emotionally invested in.

And on top of it, nothing you've said below even begins to challenge the rationale in my thoughts. Your post is like a FOX News or Keith Olbermann political analysis.

I like how the new imotionally invested defense to having one's nonsensical posts debunked is how dare you spend time countering or god forbid debunking my nonsense you insignificant and overly invested creature is taking root here...:rofl:

I love how we're constantly reminded here that everyone is entitled to an opinion. That doesn't mean they are entitled to having it respected. Respect is earned, and a lot of times that's based on whether their opinion stands the simple eye test, let alone the test of time or the withstands anecdotal evidence or even better the facts. :ugh:

Brady played well for 1 half and the second half was kind of brutal.

The second half was kind of brutal? Are you sure you don't mean the last two drives, AKA the last 6 minutes of the game?

The second half was kind of brutal? Are you sure you don't mean the last two drives, AKA the last 6 minutes of the game?
Yeah, BOTH of those pass plays.

I don't think it is quite as stark as apples to oranges yet certainly not easy to make a just comparison. I'd put it this way, if you had to have one tandem or the other at the QB and Coach positions, which tandem would you choose: Brady and Dungy or Manning and BB? As vaulted a position Brady holds in my football view, I'd take BB and Manning.

But if you're trying to compare QB to QB, if you want to win, as other posters pointed out, Brady is the choice. He has shown a greater ability to get it done in the playoffs. However, I think it is also fair to say if you are looking for QB to put the pass where it needs to be most frequently, from my own observation, Manning has shown a greater ability to do that.

Lastly, I think it is fair to say that Indy and the Patriots are spoiled. The vast majority of fans watch their team's QB play inconsistently year in and year out.

I like an Andrew Lang quote on statistics:

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts—for support rather than for illumination."

It is common for people to ignore those statistics that don't support their argument and or opinion. Prisco today argued that Manning won the statistics battle but Brady won the game. There must be some statistics that I am missing so will someone please clue me in

1) Completions - Manning wins 38 to 19
2) Attempts - Manning wins 52 to 25
3) Completion % - Brady wins 76% to 73.1%
4) Touchdowns - Manning wins 4 to 2
5) Interceptions - Brady wins 0 to 3
6) TD/INT % - Brady wins 2/0 to 4/3
7) Passer Rating - Brady wins 123.1 to 96.3
8) Rushing - Manning wins with no rushes, but Brady ends with negative yards from kneel downs

I would have thought that efficiency trumps volume especially in categories 3 and 6 versus the counts of 1, 2 and 4,5 - and of course making fewer mistakes would reflect the better quarterback but that's just me and my lamppost.

Sort of the fantasy football argument - he had a higher total (yards, TDs, subtract some insignificant amount for interceptions. Sure they lose games for you, but winning games isn't the bottom line...)

This is the sort of thing that makes me think Favre's biggest distinctions as a QB is he's been playing since the Mesozoic, so sure he has all the records... and he's the only QB ever to videotape his own sack.

Last edited:
I don't think it is quite as stark as apples to oranges yet certainly not easy to make a just comparison. I'd put it this way, if you had to have one tandem or the other at the QB and Coach positions, which tandem would you choose: Brady and Dungy or Manning and BB? As vaulted a position Brady holds in my football view, I'd take BB and Manning.
But if you're trying to compare QB to QB, if you want to win, as other posters pointed out, Brady is the choice. He has shown a greater ability to get it done in the playoffs. However, I think it is also fair to say if you are looking for QB to put the pass where it needs to be most frequently, from my own observation, Manning has shown a greater ability to do that.

Lastly, I think it is fair to say that Indy and the Patriots are spoiled. The vast majority of fans watch their team's QB play inconsistently year in and year out.

guess you dont really like winning in the playoffs then

Sort of the fantasy football argument - he had a higher total (yards, TDs, subtract some insignificant amount for interceptions. Sure they lose games for you, but winning games isn't the bottom line...)

This is the sort of thing that makes me think Favre's biggest distinctions as a QB is he's been playing since the Mesozoic, so sure he has all the records... and he's the only QB ever to videotape his own sack.

Mesozoic? LOL. Yes, he runs up the career totals due to his lengthy prehistoric career. I am sure he is up there in career interception totals and career fumble totals too. But as a passer he lets it all hang out (for better or worse) and that is also a main reason for the gaudy totals.

Here are some more interesting facts:

People talk about Manning as some kind of statistical juggernaut, but did you know his percentage of TD pass per throw is 5.5, while Brady's is 5.4? Did you know that his yards per attempt is 7.6 while Brady, the game-manager, sits right there at 7.3?

The highest difference between these two quarterbacks in efficiency statistics is INT percentage, where Brady leads Manning having a 2.2 INT% to number 18's 2.7.

That amounts to Manning having a career 95.1 passer rating, while Brady's at 93.9. Wow, such a discrepancy for playing over half his games in a dome and being surrounded by far superior weapons for most of his career.

That's why it's just ridiculous to talk of Brady as the "winner" and Manning as god's gift to Quarterbacking, talent-wise. They've actually been pretty comparable statistically. Manning has better stats because he's played 4 more seasons than Brady. That's it. Their efficiency stats virtually mirror each other, with the difference being that Brady is far better at limiting turnovers.

Good post, otoh in Indiana and the heartland they think Peyton is best.. and in NE we all think Brady is best.. in reality it makes no difference, we have had 10 consecutive winning seasons & 3 SB's, which is really outstanding. No tmuch else really matters.

These stats are interesting and all point to how small of a difference there is between the two, but at the end of any day will take #12 over #18...

guess you dont really like winning in the playoffs then

No, I greatly prefer the Patriots to win most especially in the playoffs. I was attempting to point out it may not be entirely just to compare QB to QB due to the many variables (such as who your HC is).
Your post implies you believe Brady wins playoff games at his current level with BB or with Dungy. That is entirely a judgment call....one I happen to disagree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back