Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
As we all know Tom Bradys winning percentage is significantly better than Peyton Mannings.
But, did you know?

Manning career w/l including playoffs is 140-71 (.664)
In other words against average competition Manning wins 66.4% of his games.

Bradys career w/l is 112-34 (.767) which means Brady wins 76.7% of his games against avg competition, but head to head with Manning he is 8-4 (.667)

Tom Brady has a better winning percentage against Peyton Manning than Peyton Manning has against the average of the NFL.

And there is still a debate?

Debate and competition are what we watch for.

There wouldn't be such a debate if people wold stop putting so much value in the mighty stat.
The object of the game is to win. Not compile gaudy stats.

Except that there are 52 other guys on the roster.

Not exactly a 1 on 1 situation

Its an apples and oranges debate.

Manning makes more amazing passes than anyone I've seen in 40 years of watching football. Many of them are timing routes that bring a high risk of mistakes, and provide defenses with opportunities to put people in position for picks (like yesterday). But he is breath taking as a passing craftsman. Marino, Elway, Jurgensen, Warner, Manning, etc.

Brady manages the team, and is the true field general. He's a very good NFL passer, but as a pure passer he's not in the top 10. As a field general, he is one of the best ever, and we like to think he is the best ever. Staubach, Montana, Starr, Bradshaw, Griese, Brady, etc.

It is two different categories altogether. The debate is more about which category do you like than which individual.

Its an apples and oranges debate.

Manning makes more amazing passes than anyone I've seen in 40 years of watching football. Many of them are timing routes that bring a high risk of mistakes, and provide defenses with opportunities to put people in position for picks (like yesterday). But he is breath taking as a passing craftsman. Marino, Elway, Jurgensen, Warner, Manning, etc.

Brady manages the team, and is the true field general. He's a very good NFL passer, but as a pure passer he's not in the top 10. As a field general, he is one of the best ever, and we like to think he is the best ever. Staubach, Montana, Starr, Bradshaw, Griese, Brady, etc.

It is two different categories altogether. The debate is more about which category do you like than which individual.

this post is ludicrous...Brady is NOT a pure passer?...what, Manning throws a better ball? that's ridiculous....half of Manning throws are wobble ducks for chrissakes...how the hell a QB can set the ALL TIME TD RECORD FOR PASSES IN A SEASON and be denigrated to "good little field general" by somebody who ostensibly purports to be a Patriot fan is even more puzzling. Then there is the little thing about the Peytie rules and his hurryup offense...he and Polian went beserko nuts at the start of the season because Peytie actually had to take snaps with the opposing defenses sending in sub packages, like the 31 other teams in the NFL do.Funny how his effectiveness was grossly diminished until the league moved the ref back to where Peytie wanted and he could run his hurryup again with impunity.

Brady holds numerous regular season and postseason records, including most touchdown passes in a regular season (50), highest single-game completion percentage, regular season or postseason (26/28, 92.9%), most completions in one Super Bowl, most completions in Super Bowl history (career), the highest winning percentage of any quarterback ever during his first 100 starts (76 wins), and the longest streak of games with 3 or more touchdown passes (10 games). Brady is the fourth-fastest player to reach 200 career passing touchdowns (116 games). He is the first quarterback in NFL history to have reached said mark with under 100 career interceptions (he had 88 interceptions).

nice little game manager??? pfffffffffft.....a game manager QB is a Trent Dilfer type....Tom Brady, modern day Trent Dilfer...yeah, good take:bricks:

Here are some more interesting facts:

People talk about Manning as some kind of statistical juggernaut, but did you know his percentage of TD pass per throw is 5.5, while Brady's is 5.4? Did you know that his yards per attempt is 7.6 while Brady, the game-manager, sits right there at 7.3?

The highest difference between these two quarterbacks in efficiency statistics is INT percentage, where Brady leads Manning having a 2.2 INT% to number 18's 2.7.

That amounts to Manning having a career 95.1 passer rating, while Brady's at 93.9. Wow, such a discrepancy for playing over half his games in a dome and being surrounded by far superior weapons for most of his career.

That's why it's just ridiculous to talk of Brady as the "winner" and Manning as god's gift to Quarterbacking, talent-wise. They've actually been pretty comparable statistically. Manning has better stats because he's played 4 more seasons than Brady. That's it. Their efficiency stats virtually mirror each other, with the difference being that Brady is far better at limiting turnovers.

Last edited:
I'm tired of debating Manning and Brady. I think Brady is better, but it is by a hair. Both are among the best QBs in league history. I couldn't care less that some may feel that Manning is better.

And throwing a TD pass is an individual accomplishment? If we use the "it's a team stat" line of thought it would be impossible to ever compare players.

As we all know Tom Bradys winning percentage is significantly better than Peyton Mannings.
But, did you know?

Manning career w/l including playoffs is 140-71 (.664)
In other words against average competition Manning wins 66.4% of his games.

Bradys career w/l is 112-34 (.767) which means Brady wins 76.7% of his games against avg competition, but head to head with Manning he is 8-4 (.667)

Tom Brady has a better winning percentage against Peyton Manning than Peyton Manning has against the average of the NFL.

And there is still a debate?

No debate.

Unless there's something that means more than Winning.

Which I'm sure a Colts fan can find in the stat book.

I'll take the Winning percentage over all others.

Thanks, Tommy.

Of course, they can always say it's the coach......Let me know when Bill throws a pass.

Brady throws a better spiral then Manning. Heard it once from an analyst, saw it yesterday.
I'm thinking somewhere in that "pure passer" definition, is the abilitiy to throw a spiral.

Brady throws a better spiral then Manning. Heard it once from an analyst, saw it yesterday.
I'm thinking somewhere in that "pure passer" definition, is the abilitiy to throw a spiral.

Stronger arm and better spiral. Manning is a little bit more accurate, though.

I'm tired of debating Manning and Brady. I think Brady is better, but it is by a hair. Both are among the best QBs in league history. I couldn't care less that some may feel that Manning is better.

Amen. The effort expended on comparing the two is a waste of time. They're both great, but Brady seems to rise the occasion more when it matters. Beyond that, it's just blah blah blah.

And throwing a TD pass is an individual accomplishment? If we use the "it's a team stat" line of thought it would be impossible to ever compare players.

for all the comparisons of one versus the other, they have never been both on the field at the same time. brady has never had to face the pats defense in a game and manning has never had to face the colts.

could manning execute the offenses designed for brady as well as brady has? nobody knows that. could brady execute the same as manning for the colts.

they have never worked the same scheme. brady has had his schemes changed in a major way twice, manning never has.

I don't think there is sufficient evidence to say one is any better than the other.......except for hometown opinion

Something is terribly off balance in a life that is so devoted to defending someone else who doesn't know you and couldn't care less about you. You could be wiped off the planet by a horrible disease and if told, Tom Brady wouldn't even interrupt his thought pattern. Think about what you so emotionally invested in.

And on top of it, nothing you've said below even begins to challenge the rationale in my thoughts. Your post is like a FOX News or Keith Olbermann political analysis.

this post is ludicrous...Brady is NOT a pure passer?...what, Manning throws a better ball? that's ridiculous....half of Manning throws are wobble ducks for chrissakes...how the hell a QB can set the ALL TIME TD RECORD FOR PASSES IN A SEASON and be denigrated to "good little field general" by somebody who ostensibly purports to be a Patriot fan is even more puzzling. Then there is the little thing about the Peytie rules and his hurryup offense...he and Polian went beserko nuts at the start of the season because Peytie actually had to take snaps with the opposing defenses sending in sub packages, like the 31 other teams in the NFL do.Funny how his effectiveness was grossly diminished until the league moved the ref back to where Peytie wanted and he could run his hurryup again with impunity.

Brady holds numerous regular season and postseason records, including most touchdown passes in a regular season (50), highest single-game completion percentage, regular season or postseason (26/28, 92.9%), most completions in one Super Bowl, most completions in Super Bowl history (career), the highest winning percentage of any quarterback ever during his first 100 starts (76 wins), and the longest streak of games with 3 or more touchdown passes (10 games). Brady is the fourth-fastest player to reach 200 career passing touchdowns (116 games). He is the first quarterback in NFL history to have reached said mark with under 100 career interceptions (he had 88 interceptions).

nice little game manager??? pfffffffffft.....a game manager QB is a Trent Dilfer type....Tom Brady, modern day Trent Dilfer...yeah, good take:bricks:

Just off the top of my head, I would say the colts were favored in most of those games. It's not like the Pats always had the better team, I would say Brady ususally did more with less.

The real advantage isn't the roster it's the HC, Indy never had a compariable HC to match BB's Super Genious Mind.

No debate.

Unless there's something that means more than Winning.

No unless you're talking about baseball and the American League Cy Young award.

I like an Andrew Lang quote on statistics:

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts—for support rather than for illumination."

It is common for people to ignore those statistics that don't support their argument and or opinion. Prisco today argued that Manning won the statistics battle but Brady won the game. There must be some statistics that I am missing so will someone please clue me in

1) Completions - Manning wins 38 to 19
2) Attempts - Manning wins 52 to 25
3) Completion % - Brady wins 76% to 73.1%
4) Touchdowns - Manning wins 4 to 2
5) Interceptions - Brady wins 0 to 3
6) TD/INT % - Brady wins 2/0 to 4/3
7) Passer Rating - Brady wins 123.1 to 96.3
8) Rushing - Manning wins with no rushes, but Brady ends with negative yards from kneel downs

I would have thought that efficiency trumps volume especially in categories 3 and 6 versus the counts of 1, 2 and 4,5 - and of course making fewer mistakes would reflect the better quarterback but that's just me and my lamppost.

Brady played well for 1 half and the second half was kind of brutal.

Such discussions are especially a waste of time on a patriots fan board (or a colt fan board for that matter).

Amen. The effort expended on comparing the two is a waste of time. They're both great, but Brady seems to rise the occasion more when it matters. Beyond that, it's just blah blah blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down