Welcome to PatsFans.com

Interesting drive stats analysis

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by rlcarr, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlcarr

rlcarr PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -3

No Jersey Selected

From commenter Anonymous1 on the AFCCG Preview post at Football Outsiders:

2. Calciumee

Calciumee PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#3 Jersey

I have absolutely no idea what that means :D
  3. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +320 / 0 / -1

I think along with that I would say that it is imperative that when - not if, when - Brady gets hit it doesn't result in a turnover. I know this is stating the obvious but it's far better to take a sack or throw the ball away and punt than it is to turn the ball over and give the opponent easy points.

In this game that may be true even more so because they don't have an elite offense; not scoring and being forced to punt to them is not the end of the world. If they had an offense like the Packers or Saints or Colts from a few years ago not scoring and giving them the ball would be a bigger concern.

I think the Pats may get away with turning the ball over once, but two or more turnovers will make it very difficult to win.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  4. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +320 / 0 / -1

The way I read it, it says Baltimore thrives on the defense setting up the offense with a short drive via a turnover.

Don't turn the ball over and the Ravens are in trouble.

On the other hand though the Pats defense does help out by forcing turnovers, the offense is capable of driving the length of the field to score.

Something like that ... :D
  5. RelocatedPatFan

RelocatedPatFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Note to Hernandez: when going for the extra yards, cover the ball up like Gronk when you feel you are about to be tackled; probably a good idea for all of them. Don't have to worry about Branch as he'll go down if it's close, unless he needs to extra yards for a first down (can't blame him with his injury history and it seems fairly smart to me).
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  6. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That's pretty accurate. I thought the poster did a good job of trying to show that the BAL offense is not really that efficient even though they are 9th in yards per point.

Other metrics for BAL that might help with the confusion:

-20th in Red Zone attempts per game (they don't get a lot as they aren't in the red zone a lot)
    -13th red zone TDs (not bad converting)
    -21st in yards per play (lots of plays don't get them much anyway so they are't really that explosive)

They more often than not get great field position because the defense is forcing a number of turnovers and 3-n-outs or 6-n-outs.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.